TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wow... If true, makes me wonder how much longer this ride really has...

Wait... really right now??

Top Thrill Drasgter isn't going any where. As much as the park has invested in this ride, they aren't going to go ripping it out because of something like this.

I mean, they didn't rip out MF when it had it's catch car failure.

Back on topic, this reminds me a bit of the incident that occurred at Geauga Lake with Steel Venom where the fins on the train chassis mis-aligned during testing, crashing into the LIM's and brake components one morning when we showed up to the ride to open it one morning. Then it was down the rest of the year (and sent off to Dorney the next year I believe). Curious how the catch car jumped out, if that is what did occur. Doesn't the catch car have wheels on each side to keep it in the "track"? Perhaps fatigue failure on the axle allowing it to escape out of the trough.

Surprisingly, the catch car does not have wheels. From what I have heard, a catch car brake fin at the end of the launch track was misaligned which caused the catch car to collide with it and cause further damage. Several track ties need to be welded, I'm sure dozens of catch car brake fins need to be replaced, and if I had to guess, there was damage done to the catch car. Apparently CP maintenance aims to have the ride open again this weekend but we'll have to see about that one.

IMG_2918.thumb.jpeg.4d43e66ddf4b7418eb47e12b15642c51.jpeg

This is what the bottom of the catch car looks like, you can see there are two slits for the catch car brakes to pass through.

For some reason I thought I heard the catch car was replaced at the start of the season.

Not sure why people think the ride would be removed if it was decided that the hydraulic launch or cable system was either unsafe or not reliable enough. If anything the park would just replace the launch with an LSM system like on Red Force. There is only a 50-60 foot difference in height and about a 10 MPH difference in speed.

For some reason I thought I heard the catch car was replaced at the start of the season.

Not sure why people think the ride would be removed if it was decided that the hydraulic launch or cable system was either unsafe or not reliable enough. If anything the park would just replace the launch with an LSM system like on Red Force. There is only a 50-60 foot difference in height and about a 10 MPH difference in speed.

Idk if LSMs are capable yet of the speed Dragster requires. I've heard the speed on Red Force is the current max LSMs can yield out. Plus they accelerate much more slowly and require longer launch tracks.

Going back to the Dragster situation, it took me a second look to realize one of the pictures was a mangled brake fin, not a rag. Ouch.

I have no experience with Intamin rides to know how fast these repairs can be made, but I wouldn't doubt the capabilities of a park like Cedar Point to get things going sooner than we think. The best thing they have going for them is that they are closed Monday-Thursday. As for the park employee who shared these photos, I wish them the best of luck when they are confronted by their superior. Not a good image for the park right there.

Lastly, my opinion on TTD's longevity is that I do not see it being around as long as other large steel coasters, but I do not think the end of its service life is even in view at this time. The details of this particular issue just happened to sneak out the public which might have generated some overreaction. Imagine if everything Maintenance has found during a breakdown or inspection in any park went viral?

This is how I feel about someone calling Son Of Beast Sonny.

I'd have a really hard time visiting any park with someone who insisted on calling every ride Millie, Maggie, Corky, Svennie, Twistie, Rappy, Streakie, Draggie, etc. all day long.

I remove myself from this kind of person very quickly.

I had the "I'd have a really hard time..." post in mind when I wrote Sonny. I didn't get the OP, but at least someone picked it up.

This is how I feel about someone calling Son Of Beast Sonny.

I'd have a really hard time visiting any park with someone who insisted on calling every ride Millie, Maggie, Corky, Svennie, Twistie, Rappy, Streakie, Draggie, etc. all day long.

I remove myself from this kind of person very quickly.

Say it ain't so, Guy! You, of ALL people, should have a sense of humor about such things!

In my opinion, if you can't have fun and laugh a bit when visiting an amusement park, why go at all? One year my sister and I sang a different Twenty One Pilots song while going down the lift hill of each main roller coaster... When you've been to CP as many times as I have, you've got to keep the experience fresh however possible!

They sure are making quick work of the remaining lift hill structure on Steel Vengeance. Does anyone know how long it takes to install all the sensors and electronics on a ride? Or more specifically, how long it has taken for some of the other RMC conversions?

Going back to the Dragster situation, it took me a second look to realize one of the pictures was a mangled brake fin, not a rag. Ouch.

I have no experience with Intamin rides to know how fast these repairs can be made, but I wouldn't doubt the capabilities of a park like Cedar Point to get things going sooner than we think. The best thing they have going for them is that they are closed Monday-Thursday. As for the park employee who shared these photos, I wish them the best of luck when they are confronted by their superior. Not a good image for the park right there.

Often the limitation in a case like this is spare parts. The park will have spare brake fins but do they have enough to replace all of the destroyed fins? When the incident on Kingda Ka occurred the downtime was mostly due to waiting on parts.

If the park has the right parts I could see it being open this weekend. If their supplier has the items in stock it is mostly shipping time. If the supplier has to make them or have them made then being down the rest of the year is very possible.

I don't find calling the coaster 'SteVen' weird, as it's just a mashup of the actual name. However, I do find calling a coaster a 'he' or 'she' a tad weird.

You should have been there when the first Batman opened. THAT was weird. "Really?! They're calling it Batman." Now it's standard.