TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Just a head up, to the surprise of absolutely no one, Dragster has apparently suffered another significant mechanical issue. It closed early yesterday afternoon and was closed all day today also with the trains parked on the transfer track and barricades put up well ahead of the ride entrance.

21764831_1899514326981022_5720810064166260935_n.jpg?oh=91de4a500cd1058807f9e3d1484c58c0&oe=5A52D5E9

From Wild Gravity (whoever that is). Obviously now they have a week to fix it, and obviously there are rumors circulating everywhere from people who don't know anything about what actually happened saying that it's down for the season which seems premature but it definitely seems like a pretty major breakdown.

Edited by coasterbill

SteVen looks so amazing!! I can't wait to ride him when he opens!!

Am I the only one that finds the personification of coasters kinda creepy? Calling Steel Vengeance 'SteVen' is just strange to me...to each their own I suppose...

I don't find calling the coaster 'SteVen' weird, as it's just a mashup of the actual name. However, I do find calling a coaster a 'he' or 'she' a tad weird.

Am I the only one that finds the personification of coasters kinda creepy? Calling Steel Vengeance 'SteVen' is just strange to me...to each their own I suppose...

I've called Maverick "Mavvie", and Magnum "Maggie", and MF "Millie" for years (haven't started calling Valravn "Val" yet though...), but I'm not feeling "SteVen" at all, sorry to say... I might take to calling it "SVen" ("SVennie"), but the other just seems odd for a coaster to me... Too... human, or something! (Not that there aren't humans named Maggie, but for whatever reason it seems more odd to me...)

I've called Maverick "Mavvie", and Magnum "Maggie", and MF "Millie" for years (haven't started calling Valravn "Val" yet though...), but I'm not feeling "SteVen" at all, sorry to say... I might take to calling it "SVen" ("SVennie"), but the other just seems odd for a coaster to me... Too... human, or something! (Not that there aren't humans named Maggie, but for whatever reason it seems more odd to me...)

Why not Vallie?

Wow... If true, makes me wonder how much longer this ride really has. I mean, what if people were on this ride when this occurred? I can't imagine the outcome would be any good. That has to cost a pretty penny for repair.

Or perhaps it looks worse than it really was? Not sure...

Edited by Invertalon

Wow... If true, makes me wonder how much longer this ride really has. I mean, what if people were on this ride when this occurred? I can't imagine the outcome would be any good. That has to cost a pretty penny for repair. I assume some of the track is damaged as well if it destroyed the brake fins and such... Similar thing happened on Superman at Geauga Lake and required a new train chassis, new braking devices, etc... Then it got moved to Dorney

Seriously?

Top Thrill Dragster isn't going anywhere. It's one of the most popular rides in the park. It's been ridiculously unreliable since day one, this is nothing new. Also, people were on it. It sounds like everyone's fine since if they weren't we probably would have heard about it.

Now the big question is, if it IS down for the season do they add a ride to the Friday night lineup? Rougarou? Wicked Twister? Power Tower? There are plenty of great options.

Seriously?

Top Thrill Dragster isn't going anywhere. It's one of the most popular rides in the park. It's been ridiculously unreliable since day one, this is nothing new. Also, people were on it. It sounds like everyone's fine since if they weren't we probably would have heard about it.

All i'm saying is if a ride has a potential incident that could risk the lives of people on the attraction that the park may have enough justification to remove an attraction, regardless of its popularity... Kind of a business moral thing, you know?

We only have this picture and no real news/facts, so I am just guesstimating. It didn't happen this time obviously, but all it takes is a fatal accident and it doesn't matter how popular your ride is. Your saying if, in theory, the cable snapped and decapitated a bunch of people on the train that the park would keep the ride around just because its popular? Get real... This time it looks like non-issue, but that is still a lot of damage and the risk to the riders has to be a factor in what will happen in terms of repair or whatnot, for sure.

Again, being extreme with the example... But stuff like this is not taken lightly and if this issue is beyond just a "cable snap" you never know. That is all i'm saying.

Edited by Invertalon

Your saying if, in theory, the cable snapped and decapitated a bunch of people on the train that the park would keep the ride around just because its popular? Get real...

People were most likely on the train since the ride was open when the incident occurred, they're fine. What are you talking about?

I'm not saying anything about a hypothetical situation that never happened. It's ridiculous to assume that a mechanical failure (even a major one) automatically means the riders were in some sort of danger. We don't know the specifics of what happened, but we do know that by all accounts there were no injuries at all. You're making a ridiculous leap here.

Your saying if, in theory, the cable snapped and decapitated a bunch of people on the train that the park would keep the ride around just because its popular? Get real...

People were most likely on the train since the ride was open when the incident occurred, they're fine. What are you talking about?

It was just an (extreme) example based on your statement that because the ride is popular that the park would not take it down. It was just a counterpoint that that statement is silly. If something bad did occur, they won't keep the ride around just because it was popular - That was my only point.

In this case, obviously it's not that. The original post was simply speculation (I was not aware riders were on at the time of incident) and without any details it was simply just discussion. Nothing more.

Back on topic, this reminds me a bit of the incident that occurred at Geauga Lake with Steel Venom where the fins on the train chassis mis-aligned during testing, crashing into the LIM's and brake components one morning when we showed up to the ride to open it one morning. Then it was down the rest of the year (and sent off to Dorney the next year I believe). Curious how the catch car jumped out, if that is what did occur. Doesn't the catch car have wheels on each side to keep it in the "track"? Perhaps fatigue failure on the axle allowing it to escape out of the trough.

Edited by Invertalon

If something bad did occur, they won't keep the ride around just because it was popular - That was my only point.

Okay, but it didn't. And my post was made with the knowledge that it didn't. It wasn't a blanket statement, it was a statement about Top Thrill Dragster's current situation since that's what we're talking about.

So this is basically the same thing that happened to Ka right after it opened, right?

Completely different issues. From what I have heard about this incident, it is the catch cars brake fins which are damaged. The catch car became misaligned and shredded the fins.

Ever heard of Smiler? Or WEM Mindbender? Your theory doesn't hold water, looking back at past accident…

Seriously?

All i'm saying is if a ride has a potential incident that could risk the lives of people on the attraction that the park may have enough justification to remove an attraction, regardless of its popularity... Kind of a business moral thing, you know?

We only have this picture and no real news/facts, so I am just guesstimating. It didn't happen this time obviously, but all it takes is a fatal accident and it doesn't matter how popular your ride is. Your saying if, in theory, the cable snapped and decapitated a bunch of people on the train that the park would keep the ride around just because its popular? Get real... This time it looks like non-issue, but that is still a lot of damage and the risk to the riders has to be a factor in what will happen in terms of repair or whatnot, for sure.

Again, being extreme with the example... But stuff like this is not taken lightly and if this issue is beyond just a "cable snap" you never know. That is all i'm saying.

Why not Vallie?

Good call! Vallie it is!

(Sorry Bill, I just can't stop calling ID, "Draggin' Iron"... )