TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Maybe now this will take some crowds away from Maverick...

I think there may be more crowds there since it's next to Steel Vengeance

I'm just hoping they keep Maverick on Early Entry. They almost pulled it a few years ago and then ended up putting it back on. You know they'll add this so I would expect them to pull something. It would be awesome to spend that hour bouncing back and fourth between those 2 rides.

The ride looks amazing, I have nothing new to add, just that it looks fantastic, but can we just say how good the CGI renderings of the rides are getting. Cedar Fair's ride renderings look super high quality, well done animation staff.

The ride looks amazing, I have nothing new to add, just that it looks fantastic, but can we just say how good the CGI renderings of the rides are getting. Cedar Fair's ride renderings look super high quality, well done animation staff.

I was wondering about that rendering when I was watching it also because I was really impressed too. I'm about to sound stupid since I have very little experience with 3D rendering software but my curiosity is getting the best of me so I'm going to ask anyway.

At this point is it reasonable to assume that they've rendered almost the entire park in 3D? Can they simply open an existing file and add a new ride and the surrounding details at this point while re-using a lot of the surrounding rides that they've already rendered or do they have to re-create the surrounding rides and area from scratch each time they need to do one of these?

So basically, can they open the file they used to render

and re-use any of it for the new animation or do they need to start from scratch?

Sorry again for the dumb question and likely misuse of industry terms, I just don't know much about this field.

I was wondering about that rendering when I was watching it also because I was really impressed too. I'm about to sound stupid since I have very little experience with 3D rendering software but my curiosity is getting the best of me so I'm going to ask anyway.

At this point is it reasonable to assume that they've rendered almost the entire park in 3D? Can they simply open an existing file and add a new ride and the surrounding details at this point while re-using a lot of the surrounding rides that they've already rendered or do they have to re-create the surrounding rides and area from scratch each time they need to do one of these?

and re-use any of it for the new animation or do they need to start from scratch?

Sorry again for the dumb question and likely misuse of industry terms, I just don't know much about this field.

He (yes, one single person does these... Good friend of ours) has most of CP already modeled from so many past projects with the park... So while there is some work still done, much of the time the focus is just the new and surrounding areas. Pretty cool process, to be honest!

So no, it is not a "start of scratch" in all cases where previous work was done... Especially Cedar Point where he has done many of the past rides (Rougarou, Valravn, Gatekeeper, Maverick, etc...). In some other cases though, a lot more work has to be done depending on the project scope and expectation from whatever park/customer.

Edited by Invertalon

I don't have a ton of experience, but I had a trial of NoLimits2 for a bit and it looks like you can render in the whole park, if you have a custom flat ride it seems like there are options for importing them. It would seem they're using something much more advanced as the quality is amazing, but they have real engineers to do it, not just amateurs having fun with a program to do complex coaster design.

To shorten it up, I'd guess they have the full park mapped with the ability to move things when needed or add in new things as desired, but I don't know for sure.

Lol at these two being separate items.

8. Most airtime on a hybrid roller coaster (27.2 seconds)

9. Most airtime on any roller coaster (27.2 seconds)

I guess they had to come up with a list of 10.

Anyway, looking forward to riding this in a year or so.

Maybe now this will take some crowds away from Maverick...

I think there may be more crowds there since it's next to Steel Vengeance

I'm just hoping they keep Maverick on Early Entry. They almost pulled it a few years ago and then ended up putting it back on. You know they'll add this so I would expect them to pull something. It would be awesome to spend that hour bouncing back and fourth between those 2 rides.

I also think there will be even more crowds over at Maverick with Steel Vengeance next to it. Didn't know they were considering pulling Maverick from early entry - that sucks and I really hope they don't. It's always the ride I go to until 10 when I walk over to TTD.

Invertalon - cool information on how the ride animations are made, thanks for that! This ride looks absolutely crazy and I can't wait to ride it next year. Way to go CP and RMC!

He (yes, one single person does these... Good friend of ours) has most of CP already modeled from so many past projects with the park... So while there is some work still done, much of the time the focus is just the new and surrounding areas. Pretty cool process, to be honest!

So no, it is not a "start of scratch" in all cases where previous work was done... Especially Cedar Point where he has done many of the past rides (Rougarou, Valravn, Gatekeeper, Maverick, etc...). In some other cases though, a lot more work has to be done depending on the project scope and expectation from whatever park/customer.

Thank you for that information. He does a terrific job, thanks for the "behind the scenes"(or monitor as the case may be) about how this gets done.

Just when you think Cedar Point can't get any better than it already is they always manage to prove us wrong. Steel Vengeance and Maverick are going to have INSANE lines. I will definitely be investing in fast lane plus next year.

Edited by skyrocket010

There is not one negative post about Steel Vengeance since the announcement post.

And there's no need to. Holy Shit balls tits this park just crushed everyone.

Steel Vengeance, Maverick, Millenium, TTD, Raptor, Magnum, Wicked Twister, Gatekeeper, Valravn, Rougarou, etc. No one else is even close anymore.

As with Twisted Timbers, this new train modification they're doing is very strange to me. I feel like it may be part of an attempt to fix friction issues, or something of that nature. I don't exactly like the look of the new zero cars, but it's not anything that will detract from the experience.

looks like they've added double running wheels on them now.

well then.

this looks absolutely amaze-balls.

I had mentioned to TBpony that I didn't think I'd be able to swing Coastermania! next year, as I'm using the vacation time for Dollywood.

but with this announced now? . . yeah, gonna maybe work thru Thanksgiving to see if that will give me enough that i can make the trip to CP again!

damn. . this thing is stunning.

Now that you're all here...

Just a question about all that's in the middle area of this coaster. What goes there?

Or maybe I should ask, is anything going there when this coaster opens? I read, one of the

buildings was/is used for a Haunt Walkthrough (yes? no?), but other than that, it's quite a bit

of space to just leave alone, etc.

So I thought I would ask.

Now that you're all here...

Just a question about all that's in the middle area of this coaster. What goes there?

Or maybe I should ask, is anything going there when this coaster opens? I read, one of the

buildings was/is used for a Haunt Walkthrough (yes? no?), but other than that, it's quite a bit

of space to just leave alone, etc.

So I thought I would ask.

when mean streak opened it was all queue line.

Edited by coasterlvr

Its largely queue line but also has a maintenance building (which used to have its own little bone-yard around it) and a newer building that was home to a haunt.

Which by the way, they are not using that building during this years haunt, correct?

What an incredible looking coaster, Cedar Point and America is so lucky to have new rides like this on a yearly basis. I understand England has some great rollercoasters but the competition is much greater and mouth watering across the pond.

I live in England, have 3 young kids, I work minimum wage paid job and know I will probably never get to ride anything like this in my life. This is where I am grateful to TPR for the amazing quality of content, announcements and POV's that people all over the world like me, get to experience.

This is my 1st post ever on this forum although I have followed TPR on Twitter for a while now. You all seem like a great bunch and I would like to welcome myself to your fantastic community, Take care all.

-Matt