TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

When I went to CP about 5 years ago. I stayed at a place about 15 min away that is considered seedy - cost about $60.00 a night. It was great. Clean room, clean sheets. What else could you need? Then again I rather spend the extra money on Fast Lane.

We stayed at that Magnusson. They made it look nice in the pictures and I guess I just jumped on the lower price since we were booking super last minute. Never again. Room smelled like pee and God knows what else. Dirty floors. Bed was hard and stained. Rooms that faced outside (which I hate) when there was a bikers convention so people out super late. Not to mention the landing felt like it was about to cave in. Basically nothing good about the place.

We have yet to find that one hotel that we like in the area.

Honestly, I wouldn't touch Cedar Point on a Saturday without a FL+. And I get in for free*. If you don't want to shell out for fast passes just skip it.

* with season pass

Yuck...a Saturday is when we planned on going. Maybe I'm better off holding out for that park until I can afford a couple of FL+ pass. Maybe we'll just do Kings Island since we don't have to stay anywhere to go there as we live an hour and a half from it plus the waterpark is included as well. Gives me a chance to ride Mystic Timbers.

You can have a great time at Cedar Point on a Saturday especially if you have a Platinum Pass and get there for early entry, you just have to have realistic expectations and a strategy for early entry.

Get to the Marina gate about 10 minutes before the park opens (go get to the parking lot by like 8:30 - 8:45) and knock out Valravn immediately, then hit Millennium, then go to Dragster right before it opens at 10, then go back to Maverick and ride the crap out of it before crowds make their way back there (it usually takes an hour or so after opening).

Then around late afternoon / early evening when everyone is in the back of the park go to the front for things like Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak, Maxair and Wicked Twister.

In the middle of the day when everything has a line, take it easy and ride things that tend to have shorter lines like Gemini, Skyhawk, Corkscrew, Iron Dragon, Windseeker and Mine Ride. Maybe mix in Magnum and Rougarou but those lines are hit or miss, they can get long. Maybe go to Famous Daves and sit out by the water... whatever.

Alternately you can just grab a beer and get in line for whatever you want, knowing it'll be a long wait but the lines will die down later and the world won't end if you stand in line for awhile... it is a Saturday at Cedar Point after all.

Honestly if you do that you can probably ride pretty much every coaster on a Saturday without Fastlane if you want to. I have no issues going to the park on a Saturday but have realistic expectations. Kings Island will be just as slammed.

How are crowds on Sundays in August. My family plans on visiting the park the in 2 weeks and we will probably not be purchasing fast passes. Thanks in advance.

If the park is still open till 11 that night then it will likely be very busy. But with Bill's approach a couple posts up, you should be able to do the whole park no problem.

The barrel roll down inside the structure of Wicked Cyclone is one of the coolest moments on the entire ride, I'm sure this will be just as awesome. Barrel rolling through all of those supports is a pretty cool feeling.

Edited by coasterbill

The barrel roll down inside the structure of Wicked Cyclone is one of the coolest moments on the entire ride, I'm sure this will be just as awesome. Barrel rolling through all of those supports is a pretty cool feeling.

Headchoppers galore for the full third lap it seems! That was the coolest aspect of the original coaster, IMO. I'm glad they're keeping that aspect

With the third inversion in place, I hope the final stretch is simply 1000+ ft. of buck-nutty airtime hops and crazy turns. I'd also love for it to stay inside the structure on the far side (under the MCBR & 2nd/3rd hills). I hope that that path still exists after the modifications. I've seen a few "dream" POVs imagine a double barrel roll somewhere near the end like on Outlaw Run, but I'd prefer insane bunnies. There's potential for the finale to be one of the greatest airtime onslaughts of all time.

^I'd like to see them re-create Texas Giant's original "Magic Carpet Ride" ending. That was one of my favorite coaster moments ever.

Oh my. That magic carpet was straight from heaven. My (many) rides on the Texas Giant were in 1990 (ACE con) and 1995 (I was a park intern that year). The entire ride was seriously awesome, but I know that didn't last.

But man, that magic carpet. It was like little magic shining sprinkles on to of a gut buster ice cream cone. What is that section like now?

I looked at that picture of the third inversion for a good 20-30 seconds before I actually saw it inside all the supports.

Same here!!

I even showed it to my partner and I said "New Mean Streaks 3rd inversion has been placed. . ." And he looks at it for a minute and said "Yeah, right. Obviously not." So I zoomed in, and he was like "OMG! That's going to be amazing!!!" And I bet he is right!!