TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Good deal on Cedar Point tickets at Groupon right now.

Use the code SALE3 at checkout and you can get tickets for around $33. These always go fast so hop on it.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-cedar-point-3

Good looking out! That actually ended up being cheaper than the bring-a-friend discount. Thanks!

I bought Groupon tickets for me and Bert, before we visited CP for CoasterMania! weekend.

Great deal, and easy to get. I would buy them again that way, if (and when) I came back to the park.

In the midst of all this random Groupon deals, I can proudly say I saw apiece added to New Mean Streak in person. As well as saw them lifting another track piece into place in the middle of the structure.

IMG_8696.thumb.JPG.e29b3e2a4b49b1c4c2707524ceb3ba72.JPG

Man working on a piece that I saw him add

IMG_8698.thumb.JPG.8991404fcb688ff6fe2de911564446af.JPG

Another picture of worker dude

IMG_8699.thumb.JPG.435fd104b92c9600421e432d6c71ead7.JPG

The crane that was lifting the piece into place

IMG_8701.thumb.JPG.f93d11deba109ce633db08ebcc99c73c.JPG

We got a pass for getting stuck on Valravn for about 15 minutes

So yeah we also got stuck in the station on Valravn with our second ride of the day, we got to leave the station before they turned the lift back on and it honestly had some whiplash. There were maintenance in the station the rest of the day too. We used the pass for TTD because why not? Also maverick had some major problems. It was fown from 11 am until 8 pm and sadly we only rode it once.

Oh and in the topic of values buying the all inclusive ticket combo is pretty nice. It comes with a day refill souvenir cup, FL+, All Day Dining and fun pix and it was only 20 dollars more than just buying a ticket and FL+. My friends got this while I just used my plat pass like normal.

I'm at Cedar Point today and I've already gotten on Raptor and Top Thrill Dragster (both of which were down due to weather the last time I went) and also Von Rolled from Raptor to Matterhorn

Nice!! I love Dragster. "Von Rolled from Raptor to Matterhorn" is hilarious

Separate post: I loved Cedar Point back in early June, and wish the damned park was a lot closer to me! Hmmmph.

#Justanaside.

IMG_3744.JPG.e290e82aa5b5c850bcb6934a0cc42858.JPG

Good times. June 2, 1017.

Perks of Cedar Point vs Kings Island...I've been to Kings Island quite a few times in the last few years but never to Cedar Point so I'm obviously leaning towards Cedar Point. I'm wanting to take a trip there in 2 weeks...where is a good place to stay that isn't at the park? Where are the best places to buy tickets--Kroger or on Cedar Point's website? Anything worth missing/passing over?

I can recommend the Magnusson Hotel in Sandusky. Pool open until midnight.

Your kidding right?

That place was a dump.

Nope, completely serious. It got the job done for a Cedar Point trip I just took at the end of June. How much time does one spend a hotel when on an amusement park trip? Very little. The place was clean enough (for me at least) and had a shower.

I can recommend the Magnusson Hotel in Sandusky. Pool open until midnight.

Your kidding right?

That place was a dump.

I've never been, but having looked at it on Google Maps for a future trip made my skin crawl....ewwww.

Yea, we made the mistake of giving this place a chance unfortunately. There was hair in the sink, counter, and on the sheets. Our sox were black from the nasty carpet, the tv only worked on 2 channels, dead bugs and cobwebs, toenails in the tub, stinky hallways(and room), the restaurant service was a joke, we walked in to check in and the sports bar in the lobby was playing rap music with f bombs. The keys for the rooms are like nothing I have ever seen before.

The only thing this place had going for it was the location.

pay the money, stay at Breakers.

is it "resort" enough to justify the expense? not really.

but worth EVERY penny for the location. (and being able to drive around the outside of the park, and then WALK to the entrance (s), and if you wish, go back to your room during the day for a break?).

as I said, worth EVERY penny.

(the view from our room back in June) :

IMG_1765.thumb.JPG.c2ff11c0291d1946b98fcc53d865777a.JPG

IMG_1766.thumb.JPG.c2128b51a2c5049f4b3909075f73af14.JPG

If thrillrider thinks it is a dump, it probably isn't fit for human habitation. Magnuson hotels have a reputation for being total dumps and it is deserved since the company's "brand" is popular with hotel owners seeking to save a few sheckles. I would put my worst enemy there because they'd suffer immensely.

Don't have the money for Breakers but you've got a Platinum Pass? Then go with the Motel 6 Sandusky-Milan and commit yourself to spending some quality time in the car. The Knights Inn and Econo Lodge near the causeway aren't anywhere near "good" in a global sense, but only are within the context of Sandusky hoteliers.

This was the plug for our air conditioning unit at the Magnusson(sp).

What's weird, is that we stayed at another one of this chains locations down south, and it was up to Marriot levels. Total 360 from the sandusky location.

20170708_094200.thumb.jpg.8eaf06f97e927b15d69869b6c541cac7.jpg

Looks legit

There are two Magnuson "Hotels" in the Sandusky area now. The original is located just south of the US250 exit off Route 2 and the second is the former Days Inn on US6 just west of the Causeway. I wouldn't stay at either based on their curb appeal - or lack thereof.

I believe the Magnuson "brand" is similar to America's Best Value Inn. They are mostly former brand-name hotels/motels that have fallen into disrepair and usually don't get much help from their new owners in the way of improvements or niceties. Based on thrillrider's pic of the a/c plug, I can only imagine what other goodies can be found in the room.

It is sad that outside of the CP Peninsula, there are very few nice places to stay in the Sandusky area. You'd think with a world-class attraction in the area, there'd be a lot more hotels that have been built within the last decade.

I stayed at the Breaker's Express when I went just before 4th of July last summer. Good room, good distance, and I loved driving the causeway each morning.

Memories...

Mean Streak was a walk-on, but now I want to go back in 2018 for the holy grail RMC is making

Valravn was the most popular early entry ride then, and currently is my only dive coaster

I walked on to Millennium Force and Maverick for early entry, and used a Fast Lane Plus to cut wait time for Dragster by 75%

The Econo-Lodge at the end of the causeway wasn't terrible... (it wasn't as weird as the other Econo-apartment-suite that Bill stayed at :-P) -- I stayed there earlier this year... the price was right for the location ($71 for a Saturday night... granted that was at the end of May) and the reviews aren't terrible either (so don't just take my word for it.). It was the next step up from the Rodeway Inn's for the Choice Hotel brand, which I would never in my right mind stay at especially in Sandusky after reading ANY review. Love their actual tagline... "Forget fancy!"