TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Haha!!! Thanks for the good wishes - they worked! We did get on after several very tense moments when the trains randomly failed to launch and they had to reset the music and car sound effects multiple times to get it working again. Then it'd launch a few fine and suddenly get fussy again. I'm sure there was something more complicated and accurate to it but that's what we came up lol.

https://youtu.be/HlqmJLyZZMQ[/youtu_be]

Does Gatekeeper's drop give you airtime?

No, but it's awesome. Gatekeeper has the best drop in the park by far, yeah... I said it.

ESPECIALLY in the morning that we rode it in the fog!

it was a pretty amazing experience not being able to see the ground at all.

^ I was hoping we'd be able to ride TTD in the fog that morning, too.

But it wasn't running yet. And riding Gatekeper was amazing with the fog!

IMG_3979.JPG.5100cfb0049ac9c70b587e620ff24cbd.JPG

Blasting up into the fog would have been awesome! June 5/17.

Does Gatekeeper's drop give you airtime?

Not at all — it's really just a slow twist into a steady curve. There's no experience of dropping that you might get from other coasters. It's a pretty fun ride — especially at night — but one of the tamest at the park. It's more of a visual spectacle than anything.

Not many rides give me that stomach in my throat feeling anymore, but Gatekeeper is one of them, especially in the back. I love me some quality Gatekeeper rides.

I rode once in the back, and it was very rough.

so although I did ride GK multiple times thruout my visit, it was always in the front, and had a smooth, wonderful ride.

When GK is running well, it's a nice change of pace from the other coasters in the park. It's more of a nice ride than an aggressive thrill ride.

Is it ever not running well? It's possibly the smoothest ride I've ever ridden and I've never once had a bad ride on it.

on Wednesday the 5th I was on the 3rd or 4th train after it opened in the evening on TTD that launched, but our train we didn't even make it a third of the way down the launch. And we came to a dead stop and rolled very very slowly back to the station to be taken off the train. One thing I noticed is that the catch car was really far ahead of our train down the launch track, to me it seamed like the dog on the catch car broke and left us behind mean while the break fins had popped up and forcing us to stop. Any one else every experienced what seamed like an E-stop on launch? The ride was down and had only opened for 15 mins max and then I think it was down again all evening.

Not many rides give me that stomach in my throat feeling anymore, but Gatekeeper is one of them, especially in the back. I love me some quality Gatekeeper rides.

I rode once in the back, and it was very rough.

so although I did ride GK multiple times thruout my visit, it was always in the front, and had a smooth, wonderful ride.

I hear you, the back can be hit or miss. Sometimes on the outsides I can feel the "bouncing" due to the steel support arms under the seats flexing. That isn't fun, especially when you've already got a headache on a hotter day.

When GK is running well, it's a nice change of pace from the other coasters in the park. It's more of a nice ride than an aggressive thrill ride.

Is it ever not running well? It's possibly the smoothest ride I've ever ridden and I've never once had a bad ride on it.

Neither had I but this year has been pretty bad. The first 2 rows are still wonderful but the rest of the train is pretty bouncy especially if the train isn't full

So the MCBR drops into a curve under the first big hill, everyone agree? This won't duel like Twisted Colossus or Lightning Racer, but that kind of element would be a pretty fun self-duel that really does look like it would be timed to have the trains near each other right there.

^There's probably very little way a train at the top of the lift would even make it to the bottom of the first drop by the time the other train would have cleared the MCBR entirely. Maybe there might be a pass by like you described between the start of the double up and bottom of the first drop, though.

^Or two in the station, 2 on the course, 1 on the lift and one in the (what we used to call) "no man's land"... if they are going to run 6 trains with double loading station(s), of course. You know... for the world's longest coaster

As for dueling - anyone who was there in the early Mean Streak days might remember the trains whooshing past eachother by the first drop. One would rush down the drop as the other would pass it on the way to the final brake run. I think it ran like that for a few years?

Mean Streak's wilder and meaner older sibling at the time, Texas Giant, did that as well. With an additional pass-over occurring on the lift/oval helix. Man, now that was a ride, in the early 90s. Holy cow.

Neither had I but this year has been pretty bad. The first 2 rows are still wonderful but the rest of the train is pretty bouncy especially if the train isn't full

OMG. This is the most insane thing ever calling GK bouncy.

not sure why it's insane.

having ridden on the back left about 1 month ago? yep, "bouncy" is pretty accurate.

tho the front was always smooth.

not sure why it's insane.

having ridden on the back left about 1 month ago? yep, "bouncy" is pretty accurate.

tho the front was always smooth.

Having ridden it 38 times on a trip just 3 weeks ago, the notion it's bouncy is insane. GK is the smoothest or one of the smoothest coasters around. I go to a ton of parks, 8 this year already.

I was last at CP for halloweekends last season and I definitely noticed a bouncy sensation on GK. It wasn't uncomfortable or anything, but definitely present. It had been mentioned here before and I completely discounted it, as people often say rides are unbearably rough (raptor and rougarou are two examples) which I don't see at all. But I paid attention so I could discount the bouncing talk too, but yeah, it was noticeably bouncy.

Gatekeeper, in my experience, was a tad bit bouncy. But that being said, the ride is still awesome, and the tiny bit of bounciness you get on the ride is hardly noticeable. Still a very smooth ride.

I’m one of the few people that love Gatekeeper. It’s one of my favorite rides at CP, and after all the bashing I saw about it from enthusiast forums, it was a very nice surprise. Hell, I even rate it higher than Millennium Force.