TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Downs was one I made sure to ride. It's just so special; I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else, and I don't think there even are very many. Cedar Point has done a fantastic job of keeping up older rides even as they add new ones all the time.

The only other ride of its type that I am aware of is Derby Racers at Rye Playland, which I'm pretty sure still runs at full speed. I was able to ride it last year, and I must say, it is insane! I could not believe something like that was allowed to operate in this day and age. If my memory serves me right, there were no seat belts and I felt like I was going to fly off at any moment. It got to the point where it was hard for me to hold on. Even crazier, someone on the ride was breaking the rules or something and instead of a ride operator telling the person over a speaker, another ride operator just jumped onto the ride while it was in full motion! You could tell it was something he practiced. It was very impressive.

*Edit*

According to Wikipedia, there are actually 3 in existence. The two listed above and one at Blackpool pleasure beach.

Cedar Downs is my favorite flat ride at Cedar Point. That thing is an absolute blast. Honestly I'm very surprised it doesn't get talked about more often. This thing is a *MUST SEE* attraction. I know that term gets thrown around a lot, but this and Sky Ride are the real hidden gems of the park.

Cedar Downs definitely blew our minds a bit and was a crapload of unexpected fun but in no way shape or form do I agree its better than Skyhawk or even MaXair. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^YEah, I don't go THAT far either! Those two flats are amazing, and frankly, better than at least half the coasters at CP! But I'd probably put Cedar Downs 3rd behind those, I'd think, unless I'm forgetting something else (well, I mean, if you count Pipe Scream as a flat and not a coaster, then... )

Cedar Downs definitely blew our minds a bit and was a crapload of unexpected fun but in no way shape or form do I agree its better than Skyhawk or even MaXair. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Cedar Downs is a unique experience that offers a fun competitive element when your horse pulls ahead of your friends. It's also historic, which I think adds to its appeal. I still vividly remember my first spin on Cedar Downs over 20 years ago, and the laughs we all had. I can't say the same for S&S swings or Huss frisbees.

I think Cedar Downs is a unique experience that offers a fun competitive element when your horse pulls ahead of your friends. It's also historic, which I think adds to its appeal. I still vividly remember my first spin on Cedar Downs over 20 years ago, and the laughs we all had. I can't say the same for S&S swings or Huss frisbees.

All fair points. Though I personally tend to enjoy rides because they are fun, historical value doesn't typically factor into whether I find a ride appealing. But that's just me.

Cedar Downs was one I made sure to ride. It's just so special; I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else, and I don't think there even are very many. Cedar Point has done a fantastic job of keeping up older rides even as they add new ones all the time.

The only other ride of its type that I am aware of is Derby Racers at Rye Playland, which I'm pretty sure still runs at full speed. I was able to ride it last year, and I must say, it is insane! I could not believe something like that was allowed to operate in this day and age. If my memory serves me right, there were no seat belts and I felt like I was going to fly off at any moment. It got to the point where it was hard for me to hold on. Even crazier, someone on the ride was breaking the rules or something and instead of a ride operator telling the person over a speaker, another ride operator just jumped onto the ride while it was in full motion! You could tell it was something he practiced. It was very impressive.

*Edit*

According to Wikipedia, there are actually 3 in existence. The two listed above and one at Blackpool pleasure beach.

The one at Rye Playland is insane! The operator was constantly yelling at us on where to hold on and have each foot placed on the rungs, I'm guessing so that we didn't fly off. lol

I'm torn between agreeing with Boldikus and agreeing with Duff. I guess the way I have to think of it is when I think about my next trip to CP, what flat ride am I most excited about? My instant answer is Skyhawk, with Cedar Downs a close second. They both have extremely different ride experiences. One scares the ever living sh!t out of me and is a rush, which I guess gets me more excited. The other ride is great fun and the more friends you have riding the better it is. The fact that there are only a couple of the derby rides left is neat but even if there were a whole bunch of them it'd still be hilarious and dangerous.

Anyone know how fast Cedar Downs or the one at Rye runs?

Rides like Sky Hawk and Max Air I have ridden in many other parks. And they're okay.

But Cedar Downs is still a really unique (and old) flat and should be ridden, always!

That's what I always try and look out for (and ride), at older parks. Their unique flat rides.

I'll bet the guard gate is turning those cars around since it appears that both Cedar Point Shores and Hotel Breaker's lots are both full. Too bad they can't allow folks to park in the new tower lot, as they could have definitely used those empty parking spaces.

It's okay to be wrong. We won't judge you for how terrible your opinion is.

^ Totally agree with this.

The road leading to the resorts looks like a cluster and the parking lot looks packed for Cedar Shores. Surprising at how many empty campsites at Lighthouse Point though.

I am so glad we picked the right time for staying there, around CoasterMania! weekend! Roads were pretty clear every time we needed to use them. And getting to Famous Dave's was a breeze, from using the Hotel Breakers' shuttle service, to Bert's friend Don driving us back to the hotel. No problem with parking guard. She was cool with him dropping us off.

tenor.gif.714a6fd9851dcfdaa92f71b7b9d50f6c.gif

I found MaxAir and SkyHawk to be quite a bore, if I'm being honest. I prefer SkyHawk, but even so, I had more fun on Cedar Downs.

I also really liked Power Tower (drop side), and I didn't get a chance to ride their Windseeker due to high winds (though I've ridden one before). But nothing compares to Cedar Downs in my opinion.

I never shared this with anyone but I rode Cedar Downs back in the day when it resembled the speed of the one at Rye and it scared the living crap out of me. I literally thought I was about to die. I WAS hanging on for dear life from the side of the horse and I believe to this day the ride operator stopped the ride because he knew I was about to scrub out. I haven't rode since but the next time I visit the point I will ride it again.....

I never shared this with anyone but I rode Cedar Downs back in the day when it resembled the speed of the one at Rye and it scared the living crap out of me. I literally thought I was about to die. I WAS hanging on for dear life from the side of the horse and I believe to this day the ride operator stopped the ride because he knew I was about to scrub out. I haven't rode since but the next time I visit the point I will ride it again.....