TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I bet it'll be a zoo next year with you know what opening. I remember going to Coastermania the year Dragster opened (or second year maybe I don't remember, thanks CTE) and the lines for it during ERT were as long as they were during the day, then again most everything else was pretty reasonable and it was still a great time.

Anyone ever stayed at the Lighthouse Point Cabins or sandcastle suites? Seems like those two properties always get forgotten compared to breakers and I was just curious what people thought of them. The Lighthouse Point cabins look really fun but it seems like a decent walk to the entrance so might not really be that convenient, same with Sandcastle. I'm tentatively planning a few days at the Point next year with the kids and was looking for some ideas, but will probably just end up staying at Breakers snyway haha.

I stayed at Lighthouse Point last year for Halloweekends and at Sandcastle Suites for Halloweekends like 4 seasons ago. Even being pretty far back in Lighthouse Point or at Sandcastle, it wasn't that bad of a walk. Yeah, it's not right at the entrance, but you're going to be walking a ton no matter what so the extra 5 minutes hardly made any difference to me. I thoroughly enjoyed staying at both places, but I'd probably stay in a cardboard box on the peninsula as long as it came with early entry...

Wonder if they might be planning a new gate somewhere near the east end of the Mean Streak structure. Would make access a lot easier for Lighthouse Point / Sandcastle Suites, and it looks like there's potentially some room there. Just a backstage area right now between Mean Streak and Gemini.

Cedar Point has sent us a press release announcing the return of Iron Dragon: VR as well as the launch of "The Battle for Cedar Point" augmented-reality game!

Two interactive technologies for guests to enjoy return to Cedar Point beginning this Friday, June 9 with Iron Dragon: VR and “The Battle for Cedar Point” mobile game.

Iron Dragon: VR combines the thrill of riding the park’s Iron Dragon roller coaster with the latest virtual reality technology. Riders will wear special headsets that play dynamic video content, matching the movements of Iron Dragon’s unique swinging and swaying trains. The video story takes riders into a medieval dimension where ogres, villagers and even flying dragons attempt to capture the valuable goods on the riders’ wheeled cart.

Iron Dragon: VR will be available from June 9 through Sept. 4 beginning at 6 p.m. each day (when the park closes at 10 p.m. or later). During the day, Iron Dragon will operate normally without virtual reality. All riders on Iron Dragon must be at least 48 inches tall to ride and guests must also be age 13 or older to experience Iron Dragon: VR.

For mobile users, “The Battle for Cedar Point” augmented-reality game will enrich the in-park experience for guests with an all-new look, enhanced features and improved interactivity.

This free competitive game gives park guests the opportunity to choose a “coaster alliance” and virtually battle with other guests each day. Available alliances include revered coasters GateKeeper®, Millennium Force®, Valravn®, Maverick® and Top Thrill Dragster®. New features in the app allow guests to take a personality quiz to help them select their alliance, choose their own custom avatar and play expanded park trivia games to earn points.

In addition, a special billboard near Top Thrill Dragster will allow players to interact with characters from the game in an augmented-realty moment, sharable via social media. The sentiment of the characters also changes, depending on which alliance the player has chosen to join.

Guests can also scan special signs while waiting in line for GateKeeper, Millennium Force, Valravn, Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster to play a new interactive targeting game. Points collected by playing these games are added to the player’s total, and they can be used to “purchase” special armor for the player’s custom avatar.

One of the highlights of “The Battle for Cedar Point” is a new set of mini-games centered around the park map within the game. Players can encroach upon and capture map territory belonging to opposing alliances. Conversely, that territory can be reclaimed by playing the mini-games and earning more points together as an alliance.

“The Battle for Cedar Point” is available through the Cedar Point mobile app. Guests can download the free app in the Apple App Store® or on Google Play.

IMG_9606.thumb.JPG.d2727b728eef874cf16af8dd4efa03b4.JPG

Courtesy of Cedar Point.

IMG_9607.thumb.JPG.281fb00fb18a01fad4be94954ccab780.JPG

Courtesy of Cedar Point.

Edited by jedimaster1227

You know... usually I HATE VR on coasters, but last year Cedar Point did such a great job with both the operations of it, as well as the actual story line and graphics of the VR, that it makes me glad to see this returning to the park!

I agree with everything Bert has posted here, except for the times I was back at the hotel, taking a breather from the park.

I think the biggest surprise of CoasterMania! (to me) was getting to ride Wilderness Run! Truth! They put one of us in each of the four cars, and that's how they ran it. And if ever a child with a parent did show up, they were let through, since this is the kids' ride in the first place.

A number of walks of shame too. That was interesting to watch.

And they kept the on-ride photo shop open, so people could actually prove they rode it, LOL!

IMG_3812.JPG.b67c3b38ebdd4999c843b0d058374046.JPG

Here we are, riding WR during our late night ERT, Friday. Great ride ops everywhere in the park, by the way.

I've never attended Coastermania specifically, but I've attended plenty of "Enthusiast" events over the years, and witnessed plenty of people and behavior as a result - stuff that certainly doesn't represent me, and I try to disassociate myself from personally. But let me say... None of that stuff will ever stop me from attending "Enthusiast" events! Sure, it's annoying, obnoxious, and at times, does make me question my life choices regarding hobbies. However, at the end of the day, the mix of ERT, other park perks, and hanging out with normal, well adjusted enthusiasts like myself (of which there are also plenty of at the events), outweighs the negatives, and keeps me coming back! I highly recommend trying one out sometime, to all those who might be gun-shy, as I think you'll end up enjoying yourselves immensely! I might even make my first trek out to Coastermania next year with RMC Streak there!

Bert I can't wait for your trip report. Stop posting and get to it!

Also that photo of RMC Streaks drop.

HA!

already working on it. . but you know I get super detailed. . so will take a few days, tho I'll post each day as I update it.

got to get the pics from the phone 1st too! (most of my posts were via my phone, while waiting in airport, or sitting in hotel bar. . but now that I"m home, have "real" computer back)

Edited by bert425

I agree with everything Bert has posted here, except for the times I was back at the hotel, taking a breather from the park.

I think the biggest surprise of CoasterMania! (to me) was getting to ride Wilderness Run! Truth! They put one of us in each of the four cars, and that's how they ran it. And if ever a child with a parent did show up, they were let through, since this is the kids' ride in the first place.

A number of walks of shame too. That was interesting to watch.

And they kept the on-ride photo shop open, so people could actually prove they rode it, LOL!

you should clarify that the walks of shame were numerous because on a kiddie coaster, those seat belts are TINY. . and don't stretch. !

glad you made it home safe too, Bill!

(after a nightmare hour flight from Cleveland to DC (with an older woman hogging the armrest and DRENCHED in perfume as my seat mate). . I paid the $159 upgrade and sat in 1st class for the 3 1/2 hour flight back to Austin. I knew it would be worth it for the wider seat (and 1st on/1st off boarding, despite some running up the aisle as soon as we pulled into Austin gate). . but had no idea that I also got free cocktails (I had a couple of bloody marys), a warm, scented towel, and a full meal!

worth EVERY penny for a flight that long.

^^ Yeah well, you're right of course. But I was still amazed how many others of us actually fit ourselves into those teeny cars.

I mean, the belt was pretty tight on my waist, even though it was let out to the literal end.

IMG_3814.JPG.7279868ac23fc4b35856138982b0f81a.JPG

Another shot of WR. By the time we rode it, the queue had quadrupled, LOL! This is between midnight and 00:30, Saturday, btw.

And here's a shot of the most f-ed up ride in the park...

I mean, NO Seat Belts???? And they use them on the ferris wheel???

IMG_4004.JPG.e3964758a2ab29208c6f0a90dc2c9f5c.JPG

No, not Bert (hee hee)....Cedar Downs of course! (June 5/17)

^^ Great shot.

^ Raptor, Valravn, Power Tower, Dragster (hiding behind a tree)........ I don't see anything else of note.

I'll pretend I didn't hear that.

actually. . JUST for you, bill?

I got TBPony on the skyride. . after she admitted to me she'd never been on it!

so she, her Mom, Dianne, and I (Nrthwnd had gone back to room) rode the CP Skyride. . LOL

^ Hehe...awesome photo, Bert! Love Cedar Downs!

oh. . I have a better one. . just wait until I get my trip report up.

let's just say, that when you ask someone to take a picture, maybe specify not to make it so . . . "crotch-tastic". . .

LOL. . she wanted to delete it and re-take it, but I said NO WAY!! (TBPony's Mom, Dianne took it).

What does everyone see for the future of the leftover plot of land of Shoot the Rapids? A new woodie? CP could certainly use one as all they have is Blue Streak!

Or maybe a flume that doesn't get you drenched? Novel idea!

wait for my Trip report. . . . . this subject came up when I was conversing with the curator of the museum in Frontierland

Bill - is it safe to assume by your new avatar that you really liked your visit to CP?

and actually. . he was just waiting for me to post this one, so he could snag it. . . .THIS has simply *got* to be his new Avatar:

973930287_WoodstockBill.thumb.JPG.9d9858de64a0d62b72ecccc6eb40b727.JPG