TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

We spent 2 days at the park and had a blast this weekend. On Sunday, the lines were non existent for the most part. The stunt show all wheels extreme was amazing and can't wait to see it again.

But.....

I do have one gripe about cp this season. We have had the all season meal plan for the past 3 seasons now, and this is the first year we have Been disappointed with it. The portions have shrunk, and items are being removed from it. For example...

At panda express, you used to get 2 entrees and a side. Last year it was changed to 1 entree a side and a egg roll. This year it's just 1 entree and a side.

At chickie and Pete's, the cheese steak is only a half now. We got a burger from coasters diner, and it was horrid. Gave me the sh!+$ for 3 days after.

They have added a few new options to the plan, but those locations have not been open yet this year.

This year we have spent time at other cedar fair parks and have not noticed any obvious cutbacks in the dinning plan.

Not sure why, but it just seems to be Cedarpoint. Has anyone else noticed This?

With that being said, the plan is still a decent deal, but it's disappointing that favorite items are being removed from the plan.

Edited by thrillrider

^^ She knows the trick, she still hates it.

And yeah, JRice92 is on Valravn now instead of Millennium Force and it's noticeable at both rides. Valravn has the best operations of any coaster in the park right now and Millennium Force's line was moving at a snail's pace the last few days. We're used to going on Labor Day weekend where operations are firing on all cylinders so it was weird going Memorial Day weekend. Operations weren't bad by any stretch but they weren't really up to the standard we're used to from Cedar Point except on Valravn and Magnum (but Magnum was only running 2 trains so it really didn't matter). Valravn was the only coaster that was really rolling trains. I also thought the Sky Ride crew was crushing it but according to blakelemay23 they're not even at full capacity yet.

But.....

I do have one gripe about cp this season. We have had the all season dinning plan for the past 3 seasons now, and this is the first year we have Bern disappointed with it.

I should say you ought to be disappointed. I for one can't believe they still have a dinning plan after they got rid of their only Dinn. What good is a plan you can't even use? Sheesh, Cedar Point sucks.

... Valravn was the only coaster that was really rolling trains.....

I feel that those screens in the boarding station that track the loading times keeps them 'honest/motivated' and hence the 'rolling trains'. I wish all new coasters had that feature.

The idea that the Valravn crew needs a TV screen to keep them honest / motivated is almost insulting. They're a great crew because Cedar Point put some of their best people on the ride. They would be awesome without the screen, and I know that because many of them previously worked other rides without screens where they were also amazingly efficient. Trust me, these guys don't need a screen.

Anyone who rode Millennium Force the last few years when JRice92 was working knows what I'm talking about. I recognize some of the other guys on the crew from other rides too and I recognize them because they excelled on those other rides.

Anyone who rode Millennium Force the last few years when JRice92 was working knows what I'm talking about. I recognize some of the other guys on the crew from other rides too and I recognize them because they excelled on those other rides.

This is truth.

But.....

I do have one gripe about cp this season. We have had the all season dinning plan for the past 3 seasons now, and this is the first year we have Bern disappointed with it. The portions have shrunk, and items are being removed from it. For example...

At panda express, you used to get 2 entrees and a side. Last year it was changed to 1 entree a side and a egg roll. This year it's just 1 entree and a side. At chickie and Pete's, the cheese steak is only a half now. [...] This year we have spent time at other cedar fair parks and have not noticed any obvious cutbacks in the dinning plan.

Not sure why, but it just seems to be Cedarpoint. Has anyone else noticed This?

I didn't have the dining plan last season, so I have no frame of reference for the supposed portion shrinkage, but I can confirm what you've said about Panda Express is also in effect at Kings Dominion (meal plan = Beijing beef + lo mein in a small bowl, no egg roll), and Chickie's & Pete's was the same way at Carowinds (half a cheesesteak + side of crab fries). I may be heading to Dorney in the next couple of weekends and will see what the options are like there as well.

The idea that the Valravn crew needs a TV screen to keep them honest / motivated is almost insulting. They're a great crew because Cedar Point put some of their best people on the ride. They would be awesome without the screen, and I know that because many of them previously worked other rides without screens where they were also amazingly efficient. Trust me, these guys don't need a screen.

If the crews are that good then why did they install countdown/loading screens?

You would need to ask them that. All I know is that the people they put on this year's crew are hustling like crazy and they're not doing it because of a dumb TV screen. They're doing it because they're good at their jobs which is why the park has them at Valravn in the first place.

If the crews are that good then why did they install countdown/loading screens?

If I remember correctly, the one at Valravn also displayed seat status. So while some part of it is obviously for motivation, I think the majority is to help platform operators tell what needs to be checked again instead of relying on a control position saying to check certain seats over the PA.

Thank you so much for the compliments, Bill! This season so far Valravn has over 200,000 riders already and we're the second most ridden roller coaster in the park behind Gatekeeper!

The screen in Valravn's station has 2 good uses. Like the post before mine, it shows seat status. It makes it a little easier than say Gatekeeper since the hosts on the platform can look themselves and see if all their seats are lowered enough. The timer is a great training tool for new associates. Our goal is to try and have the controls person say "All Clear" when the timer hits 50 seconds. That makes it easy to train when the associates can see the timer in the corner. That timer starts when the train parks, before the floor comes up so the harnesses don't unlock until 8-9 seconds on the timer (on Valravn they don't all unlock at once they unlock in 6 sets taking 2 seconds for the whole train to unlock) giving us about 41-42 seconds to unload a train, load a train, check the restraints, and dispatch it. That's a pretty hard interval to hit, right now about 50%-60% of the time we hit that 50 seconds but I definitely want us to be more consistent as we get into the busy season

Millennium Force doesn't need a timer. Since they're no MCBR on Millennium there's an easier interval there, once the crew gets used to the ride they'll have their train all checked and ready to go before the ride is ready to send another train.

But.....

I do have one gripe about cp this season. We have had the all season dinning plan for the past 3 seasons now, and this is the first year we have Bern disappointed with it.

I should say you ought to be disappointed. I for one can't believe they still have a dinning plan after they got rid of their only Dinn. What good is a plan you can't even use? Sheesh, Cedar Point sucks.

The screen in Valravn's station has 2 good uses. Like the post before mine, it shows seat status. It makes it a little easier than say Gatekeeper since the hosts on the platform can look themselves and see if all their seats are lowered enough. The timer is a great training tool for new associates. Our goal is to try and have the controls person say "All Clear" when the timer hits 50 seconds. That makes it easy to train when the associates can see the timer in the corner. That timer starts when the train parks, before the floor comes up so the harnesses don't unlock until 8-9 seconds on the timer (on Valravn they don't all unlock at once they unlock in 6 sets taking 2 seconds for the whole train to unlock) giving us about 41-42 seconds to unload a train, load a train, check the restraints, and dispatch it. That's a pretty hard interval to hit, right now about 50%-60% of the time we hit that 50 seconds but I definitely want us to be more consistent as we get into the busy season.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. So it sounds like the screens and count down time are good tools to help check seats and train new employees to hit 50 second dispatch time goals and ‘keep trains rolling’. Maybe even help you and your team achieve the best operations for a ride in the park? Good luck hitting that 50 second goal in 2017. I rode it a half dozen times last year in early June and that crew consistently got us out in between 60-65 seconds EVERY time and I thought that was outstanding and pushing the limits. From those experiences I just assumed 60 seconds was the goal so 50 seconds seems a little fast and crazy.

Millennium Force doesn't need a timer. Since they're no MCBR on Millennium there's an easier interval there, once the crew gets used to the ride they'll have their train all checked and ready to go before the ride is ready to send another train.

Good/fun to know. My experiences with Millennium Force though seem to be mostly affected by the person who controls the loading station entrance and not the rest of the crew, they are usually real good. If that person keeps the train car queue lines 2-3 deep then that seems to allow the rest of the crew to roll. Once it gets beyond that and that first row waiting line starts to spill over and mix with the 2nd and 3rd car lines this seems to confuse or irritate the GP and delay loading times no matter how good the rest of the crew is. Maybe that is only my experience though. Last year there was an employee from Jamaica (cannot remember his name) who ran a tight loading station so when he had that position during a ride we made sure to get right back in line again thanks to Fast Pass and take advantage of that.

Thank you so much for the compliments, Bill!

lol you're welcome, personally I don't know why I'm being nice after you almost drowned us on Sunday night. You hit the dispatch button, it's all your fault. The fact that we were the ones who decided to ride it and then specifically asked to sit in the front is irrelevant. Personal responsibility is overrated.

Note to self: Never sit in the front of a 75 MPH dive coaster in the rain again. Luckily we got a normal Valravn ride in on Monday. Also I won't deny the fact that while riding Valravn in the rain is um... not advisable, sitting in the holding brakes looking down at the rain (which is illuminated in a really cool way by those lights pointing up at the drop) was completely awesome.

Josh, Daniel, Marcel and countless other TPR members that have worked at Cedar Point all deserve props and kudos to pass along to all the other awesome ride op's at CP.

You guys and gals do a fantastic job to make the experience even more enjoyable than the world class round-up of kick-ass rides and coasters - FOR REAL!

Please feel free to take my comments and share at any team meetings that you may have - although I know that Tony checks things out on here too. Just commentary from a regular annual visitor...

In my humble opinion, CP has the most outstanding ride op's that I have ever seen at any park in my life. Most are highly energetic, want to get trains/cycles dispatched in the most highly effective & proficient manner...and actually look (or at least act) like they're having fun while doing it. I have to assume that this could be the culture taught during some very fun and efficient learning classes? If so, this person should also be commended for their style of teaching and motivation.

The ride op's at CP really do need to be the benchmark for all CF parks...or maybe even all parks in general.

You all really do stand out as an exceptional bunch...now if we could just work a wee bit on retail and food sales employees!

Call me a fanboy if you must, but...I know good things when I see them. The ride op's to me have ALWAYS been one of the highlights of our past visits to CP.

Josh, Daniel, Marcel and countless other TPR members that have worked at Cedar Point all deserve props and kudos to pass along to all the other awesome ride op's at CP.

You guys and gals do a fantastic job to make the experience even more enjoyable than the world class round-up of kick-ass rides and coasters - FOR REAL!

Please feel free to take my comments and share at any team meetings that you may have - although I know that Tony checks things out on here too. Just commentary from a regular annual visitor...

In my humble opinion, CP has the most outstanding ride op's that I have ever seen at any park in my life. Most are highly energetic, want to get trains/cycles dispatched in the most highly effective & proficient manner...and actually look (or at least act) like they're having fun while doing it. I have to assume that this could be the culture taught during some very fun and efficient learning classes? If so, this person should also be commended for their style of teaching and motivation.

The ride op's at CP really do need to be the benchmark for all CF parks...or maybe even all parks in general.

You all really do stand out as an exceptional bunch...now if we could just work a wee bit on retail and food sales employees!

Call me a fanboy if you must, but...I know good things when I see them. The ride op's to me have ALWAYS been one of the highlights of our past visits to CP.

Hi after going to CP in August and then October I have to agree about the operators and assistants. I thought they were great, very efficient and knowledgeable. We go to a lot of parks and CP by far has the best. They really made the trip great. I have to say in general I think it is one of the best run parks I have been too.

Bill, riding Valravn in the rain sounds much more appealing than when we rode it during Mayfly season. We knew we made a mistake when we pulled our harnesses down at night and discovered they were each peppered in dozens of Mayfly carcasses. I was nervous about the possibility of catching one in the eye.

Thank you so much! We all love working for the park. It's literally the best job I've ever had!

For those attending Coastermanaia I'll be working Valravn for the morning ERT through 8PM then I'll be making a guest appearance working Top Thrill Dragster for the 10:30pm-12:30am ERT!