TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I feel like you overreacted a bit. Then again, I couldn't care less what some guy at a bar says about me. I probably would have laughed and agreed with whatever was said. Maybe even added to it a bit. Ignorance isn't going to be solved by confrontation, that usually just makes it worse. Look at all the ignorant people rioting because they don't agree with the president. It's not solving anything and just makes them look hysterical.

The bartender could have apologized and passed along the guests' info to the office so that management could also apologize for the bad experience, all without confrontation. There's also no confrontation or hysterics in having a bad experience and letting the park know. It's a responsible thing to do; much better than both picking a fight or endorsing mistreatment by way of passive acceptance.

I'm not going too far into this but I will just say that without being there, this is tough for any of us to really judge the situation.

Agreed. Obviously this guy is a horrible person but I honestly don't know what I would have done if I were the bartender. Trying to laugh it off wasn't the right thing to do but at the same time he was probably just trying to diffuse a situation before it escalated further and he had to figure out what to do on the fly. Was that the right way to handle it? No. But this was someone who just started a new seasonal job, most likely doesn't get paid enough for this sh*t and probably didn't want to be confrontational with that guy either. If he were a bartender at a regular bar then I'd probably hold him to a higher standard when it comes to handling situations like this but I wouldn't think situations like this would come up all that often at a family friendly theme park and he probably just wanted to diffuse things and had no clue how to do so.

he was probably just trying to diffuse a situation before it escalated further and he had to figure out what to do on the fly. Was that the right way to handle it? No. But this was someone who just started a new seasonal job, most likely doesn't get paid enough for this sh*t and probably didn't want to be confrontational with that guy either... he probably just wanted to diffuse things and had no clue how to do so.

This is exactly what I was getting at but put a little more elegantly. I just imagine some poor kid who was put into a situation for the first time and had no idea what to do. I always try to extend the benefit of the doubt before shaming them. It sucks to be blindsided by a situation like this, have to make a quick response, and then be judged by people who will be able to take time and analyze what you did right or wrong.

Anyways, can we move on to rollercoasters before this devolves?

Ok, so I hate posting something like this but I had a really terrible experience at CP on Sunday. My boyfriend and I drove down from NY to go to the park for the day on Sunday. I've been to CP easily 10+ times since I've been a child (31 now) and was taking my boyfriend for his first time ever. The trip was going great, minimal lines, decent weather until we decided to grab lunch and watch a little bit of the hockey game at Chickie & Pete's.

We showed up around 3:30pm and it wasn't overly busy, we grabbed 2 seats at the bar, also at the bar was a young couple and 2 older gentlemen (mid-late 40s) at the opposite end of the bar. Bartender was really friendly, one TV was set to the game the other was on Sportscenter, I asked him to turn the other one to hockey too at our end of the bar, he obliged. We then grabbed a couple beers and ordered an app right away. I came back from the restroom and when I sat down, I put my arm around my boyfriend's shoulder, the older gentlemen at the far end of the bar almost immediately made the comment to the bartender "Queers like hockey? Who knew?". The bartender laughed and said "Guess so". I was completely caught off guard by this.

I understand people have their own beliefs and that's cool with me, strangers can say whatever they like, it doesn't bother me. What did bother me was the bartender engaging in the conversation with him. I ignored it and we were almost done eating, when again the same gentlemen at the bar said "of course fags would like a Canadian team" after he saw my Ottawa Sens hat. The bartender, again, laughed. I asked for the bill right away and we paid and left. My boyfriend was fairly upset by the comments and kind of got self-conscious and afterwards felt like everyone was staring at us in the park. We ended up leaving around 5pm to head home because he wasn't feeling it anymore.

When we returned home I shot off an email via the link on the CP site, and mailed the same letter as well. I also followed up with a phone call today and was unable to reach anyone. Am I overreacting to this? I thought I'd hear back from CP fairly quickly but haven't heard anything. Anyone else ever had to reach out to CP's guest relations for an incident before? What channel did you use to contact them? Thanks!

Very sorry this happened to you. It's disgusting this happens at all but without getting to much into it, a lot of Americans still have a lot of progress to make. I don't think you overreacted at all. In fact you were willing to let it go and not let it ruin your time, but they were the ones to re open the situation. As for the bartender, I'd imagine in that position it's best to just ignore it, that way no need to "upset" that person (crappy as they are no one needs an angry person at a bar!). Seems the better way to handle things, I'll hope they just weren't thinking (I know they can have a ton on their plate) and aren't bigoted/OK with that type stuff.

As for who to contact, sorry no idea. Just typing in Cedar Point guest relations brought up some phone numbers. Good luck to you! I'm sure the park gets a ton of responses constantly so I'd not be worried if they haven't responded yet. Do hope you get a hold of someone.

Edited by JJLehto

Great pics! Assuming the MCBR doesn't kill off too much speed, (not ridden NTG but I've heard more than a few feel it scrubs off too much speed) this could easily be the baddest RMC yet. So glad the biggest will be at CP as it should be!

It looks just....lovely so far.

Maybe they'll let us ride the part that's finished when we're there in 10 days?

After all the horrible things I did in RCT, guess it's only fair

Great pics! Assuming the MCBR doesn't kill off too much speed, (not ridden NTAG but I've heard more than a few feel it scrubs off too much speed) this could easily be the baddest RMC yet. So glad the biggest will be at CP as it should be!

I don't know how anyone who has ridden NTG could feel that the MCBR takes off too much speed. Half the time you barely even know you're going through the MCBR (aside from the flat track) Of the 200+ times I've been on the coaster I've never felt the MCBR "grab." (You can tell from the POV below that the train flies through the MCBR!) I'm assuming New Mean Streak will be the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zTKtho3ZJI

he was probably just trying to diffuse a situation before it escalated further and he had to figure out what to do on the fly. Was that the right way to handle it? No. But this was someone who just started a new seasonal job, most likely doesn't get paid enough for this sh*t and probably didn't want to be confrontational with that guy either... he probably just wanted to diffuse things and had no clue how to do so.

I just imagine some poor kid who was put into a situation for the first time and had no idea what to do. I always try to extend the benefit of the doubt before shaming them. It sucks to be blindsided by a situation like this, have to make a quick response, and then be judged by people who will be able to take time and analyze what you did right or wrong.

Anyways, can we move on to rollercoasters before this devolves?

The bartender might have been put in an unanticipated awkward position early in the season, but this was about people skills, and not about not knowing where the rocks glasses are kept or him being imagined as a pitiable poor kid. He wasn't the victim or the culprit, but he should be better educated on what to do. There were alternative reactions the bartender could have had, which includes at least apologizing privately to the offended guests. This could signal a responsibility gap in training that might be remedied by the park more thoroughly considering these kinds of uncomfortable scenarios & teaching employees on how to better handle them. It might also entail a need for the park to be more transparent in spelling out some basic social values for employees to uphold and guests to exhibit.

I love seeing the RMC updates, but this is actually a pretty darn valuable discussion.

Edited by Samuel

I feel like you overreacted a bit. Then again, I couldn't care less what some guy at a bar says about me. I probably would have laughed and agreed with whatever was said. Maybe even added to it a bit. Ignorance isn't going to be solved by confrontation, that usually just makes it worse. Look at all the ignorant people rioting because they don't agree with the president. It's not solving anything and just makes them look hysterical.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess by your reply that you are a 20-40 year old straight male white dude?

^^ Well, I'm kind of hoping for a "near-close-up tour," but you never know.

not COUNTING on it..but for Coastermania!. . I'd be shocked if there wasn't something (even just a Q&A) about Mean Streak.

either way. . 10 days! (and will actually BE there in 9)

Ignorance isn't going to be solved by confrontation, that usually just makes it worse.

Ignorance is DEFINITELY not going to be solved with "haha guess so" remarks from the bartender... Maybe some people can't just laugh it off so easily. It sucks to feel criticized and made fun of, especially in public. Have some empathy

Look at all the ignorant people rioting because they don't agree with the president. It's not solving anything and just makes them look hysterical.

Bringing up politics in a theme park forum is distasteful.

1. The bartender was likely just attempting to not escalate the situation. I wouldn't fault him at all. Even if he could have handled it better.

2. Give it a rest, chicken.

-- Sucks that you had a bad experience gearbm95. There are some terrible people out there, even at Cedar Point. I don't think you overreacted, but I'm not sure what the park can do to rectify that situation.

I have a few questions for some of you. I make a annual trip out to Cedar Point every summer. Before I go I look around at hotels and read guests reviews about trying to find the best hotel in Sandusky to stay for a week. I'm going June 19 through June 24. I was looking at Hotel Breakers I booked a room on Sunday made a reservation for 4 nights. I'm doing the easy payment plan 4 equal payments the first one is charged to your visa to hold the room. My question is this will be my first time ever staying at Hotel Breakers I would like to know if it's worth making the investment trying to spend money and have a nice place to stay for a week at Cedar Point and I would like to here from some of you what it was like for the first time staying at Hotel Breakers and how are the rooms and beds? I got the standard room king bed non smoking. I have always wanted to stay at Hotel Breakers because it's right on the Lake front and within walking distance from the Magnum XL 200. I'm driving from Minnesota 15 hour drive my plan is to leave Sunday evening at 7:00 pm arrive around noon I'm also planning to stop at Conneaut Lake Park because it's 40 minutes away and I can't check in till 4:00 pm then go sleep for the night and Tuesday plan to stay at Cedar Point for the day.

Breakers is a great place to stay, regardless of the room. The old rooms were dated and crappy, but it was still awesome being on site. If this is like a once in a lifetime trip for someone, it's worth it, but if you go once a year or every couple of years, you may want to explore cheaper options off the peninsula.

One thing I noticed you mentioned Conneaut Lake Park. Just so you know, the amusement park is about 2.5 hours from Cedar Point...not 40 minutes!

Edit: Just for the record, I like hockey, football, heavy metal music...and guys too.

Sorry that this happened to the OP at one of the best places on the planet, but yeah...America and the world in general still has a long way to go to accepting the LGBTQ crowd. A lot of good progress has been made in recent years, but I hope that things don't start to regress due to all the bad sh%t that's going on in the world right now.

Capture.thumb.JPG.3f6d22ec42c66b780752b40820f21a36.JPG

From CP to CLP

Edited by Philrad71

Great pics! Assuming the MCBR doesn't kill off too much speed, (not ridden NTAG but I've heard more than a few feel it scrubs off too much speed) this could easily be the baddest RMC yet. So glad the biggest will be at CP as it should be!

I don't know how anyone who has ridden NTAG could feel that the MCBR takes off too much speed. Half the time you barely even know you're going through the MCBR (aside from the flat track) Of the 200+ times I've been on the coaster I've never felt the MCBR "grab." (You can tell from the POV below that the train flies through the MCBR!) I'm assuming New Mean Streak will be the same way.

I'd not be surprised. Ya know enthusiasts...we can be a weird lot This is why I really shouldn't take what people say too seriously without experiencing I guess. I have no do doubt New Mean Streak will do it right. Hell the speed it's carrying may even warrant a bit of a slow down. If we believe the estimations people are putting out there, thing will be hauling ass

I don't think you overreacted, but I'm not sure what the park can do to rectify that situation.

The park just has to show that it sincerely cares. Really, that's it. It's not about retribution toward the guy with the remarks, but just about the park showing compassionate & authentic responsiveness.

The park just has to show that it sincerely cares.

They have. We bitched and moaned about how awful Mean Streak was, and look at the thing.

The park just has to show that it sincerely cares.

They have. We bitched and moaned about how awful Mean Streak was, and look at the thing.

I appreciate what you're trying to do here Boldy! Those pics of RMC Streak were glorious, and yes, CP has shown us they truly do care with how amazing this is going to be!

I don't know how anyone who has ridden NTAG could feel that the MCBR takes off too much speed. Half the time you barely even know you're going through the MCBR (aside from the flat track) Of the 200+ times I've been on the coaster I've never felt the MCBR "grab." (You can tell from the POV below that the train flies through the MCBR!) I'm assuming New Mean Streak will be the same way.

I'd not be surprised. Ya know enthusiasts...we can be a weird lot This is why I really shouldn't take what people say too seriously without experiencing I guess. I have no do doubt New Mean Streak will do it right. Hell the speed it's carrying may even warrant a bit of a slow down. If we believe the estimations people are putting out there, thing will be hauling A$$

I've ridden it once, and the MCBR didn't kill much speed at all.

Then again, I couldn't care less what some guy at a bar says about me. I probably would have laughed and agreed with whatever was said. Maybe even added to it a bit.

you just described my philosophy when in public perfectly, but I mean not in bars because I'm 17

But more importantly, TWO of the webcams were giving close-up views of SkyRide today

IMG_0132.thumb.PNG.ab2f33c35b4bd1a82ee949b9b2b9debc.PNG

IMG_0133.thumb.PNG.b0f4ea63dfdfc7b17ac0c10964342922.PNG

There's far too many "devils advocates" excusing homophobia on here today.

A grand total of zero people are "excusing homophobia". We all think the guy who said that is the scum of the earth. All that's happening is that some of us are saying that we can understand why an untrained bartender who just started an entry level seasonal job less than 2 weeks ago might have been unprepared to deal with that type of situation which I would think is beyond the scope of his training because (let's be honest) it's not like he's a real bartender. He's working at a food service location that up until recently didn't even have a bathroom at a seasonal amusement park where I'm sure no actual bartending experience is required. Nobody's acting like he's the victim here but saying that you understand his situation isn't "excusing homophobia".

But more importantly, TWO of the webcams were giving close-up views of SkyRide today

Oh believe me, I noticed. I loved that angle on cam 1 today. It's always weird looking down at a Sky Ride. I don't know why since comparatively speaking they're not overly tall rides but I still think it's cool.