TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm wondering... does this "Intamin" folder necessarily apply to Cedar Point, or could it mean Cedar Fair in general? Just a thought.

I put this here instead of the Cedar Fair Development thread because Jason McClure is the GM of Cedar Point.

^ Having a ride close for that length of time isn't going to sell new parks on them. And if you are a park why buy a plug and play when the same company who built the thing (yeah yeah different designer & track manufacturer) can build you a more reliable product at a cheaper cost?

^ The plug and play rides were built in part by RMC. Add in the issues some of them have seen recently, and I think the topper track concept by RMC is as close as you'll get to the old plug-n-play concept.

RMC was only involved in the construction of El Toro and T-Express (and only those two, according to their portfolio here), while the prefabricated parts (most notibly the track, but also anything else, such a catwalks or parts of the transfer table, that in particular might be fabricated, shipped, and then assembled on site) were built by Cordes Holzbau. RCDB lists the coasters they built here. Note how they were involved in all but one of the Intamin Plug-n-Play's (T-Express).

I don't suppose RMC even had a manufacturing warehouse then, or if so, it would have been small and young. They barely had enough in the early days to comfortably handle their first I-Box and Topper Track products.

I had to do a bit of deducing to find out what role Cordes Holzbau played, but their portfolio is here if you want to look at exactly what they say they do. They specifically mentioned they provide pre-built, machine-cut track, and catwalks, amoung other prefabricated parts, which, other than for the two parts just mentioned, they left pretty open the interpretation of exactly those parts might be.

Case in piont: RMC wasn't indispensible in the Intamin Plug-N-Plays. They could find a new construction company if they desired (and I'm pretty sure parks decide this anyway). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Intamin brought back the Prefab wooden coasters just to compete with RMC. I'm more surprised that the Intamin Impluse coaster is making a return than I would be if the Prefab's starting showing up again.

Personally, however, I think (and hope) this will be a flume ride.

^ They need something well themed, as do may parks. It would be so nice it badly themed but big parks could make some really well themed area, rather than just a steel structure. A log flume would be the perfect one to do it with. I mean, look at Chiapas. There is no excuse why a massive park could not put some effort into a themed ride.

^ They need something well themed, as do may parks. It would be so nice it badly themed but big parks could make some really well themed area, rather than just a steel structure. A log flume would be the perfect one to do it with. I mean, look at Chiapas. There is no excuse why a massive park could not put some effort into a themed ride.

Those are my thoughts EXACTLY, but with hotel Breakers recently, Valravbird last year, Cedar Point Shores this year, and Mean Streak in 2018, and now an Intamin soon, this whole thing seems like a pipe dream. It's really unbelievable. I always thought Cedar Point was especially aggressive in their additions, but these past few and upcoming years are looking ludicrous.

I really think a dark ride flume (on the level of Chipas, not neccessarily Splash Mountain) would kill two birds with one stone. Cedar point is lacking a good lengthy flume and a dark ride. However, I don't know if it will happen given the investments lately. At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if it did happen, as the theme lately seems to be going all out, so I don't see why they'd stop at this point. I'm torn, honestly.

I'll take 1 traditional log flume, please and thank you!

I'm not just saying this because I'm biased towards Log Flumes, I agree 100% and that's pretty much the only hole in their ride lineup right now. They have a ridiculous coaster collection and next year will only reinforce that, they have an great flat ride collection (by American corporate park standards), they have 2 drenching water rides but they REALLY need water ride to cool you off without soaking you. They also need a family ride with mass appeal and a 42 inch height requirement since all of their family coasters are 48 inches now. A Log Flume is an obvious choice for Cedar Point.

And it would add a water ride that could be kept open through September. During my visit last year, the rapids ride was already closed to make way for the Haunt attraction and it was 90+*F out the whole time. We skipped the giant chute the chute because it's you get absolutely drenched.

A solid 8 minute log flume with a couple decently tall drops would be great. I'm sure the capacity would be excellent as well. I love all of the coasters, but I'd love to have more relaxing options outside of Cedar Downs, Skyride, and Wheel/Train.

Ha - that's my photo! The funny thing about that ride is when it opened and for the first few years it had a pretty solid theme to it. There was AAs, moving props, sound effects. The ride itself had a "narrator" who spoke to you in station, on lift, block brakes, etc. The employees even had themed uniforms. For a regional park it wasn't too bad. It started to go down hill, then when Halloweekends took over part of the queue some of those old rooms were taken over permanently for haunts.

^ Yes, DT's theming was more intact early on in its life, and gradually deteriorated over time, but even in the beginning, it still wasn't anywhere remotely close to disney-level. And no one has ever been able to give me a good explanation for why we were supposedly going to Alaska through outer space. WTF?

But don't mind me, I'm just a DT hater. DT was a ride who's lameness was only surpassed by it's unrelenting ugliness. Good riddance.

If I remember correctly, cp brought in some people that either worked with Disney or used to work with them to do disaster transports theaming and pre show areas.

In the early days of Disaster transport, the theaming and pre show were amazing for a park in Ohio. It May not have been exactly up to Disney caliber theaming, but not everyone has been to Disney either. The robot(Dave), was amazing to me because at this point in my life, I had never been to Florida.

I would LOVE to see more theaming at cedar point. But every time they do some decent theaming, it deteriorates over time because they fail to maintain it.

A themed log ride like what knotts has, is on the top of my wishlist for cedar point.

Does anybody think (and hope like myself) that CP will eventually come up

with some kind of DARK RIDE, in a nicely air conditioned show building?

And is it even possible to build something like that on the property?

Just curious.

Disaster Transport was a fun ride with perfectly good theming for a regional park. I never understood why the ride was so universally disliked. My only gripe with the ride was how unimaginably ugly the exterior of the building was.

^^After Cedar Fair installed Wonder Mountain Guardian, Voyage to the iron Reef, Mass Effect, and Plants vs Zombies I kind of figured that some kind of dark ride/ interactive attraction would make it's way to Cedar Point, eventually. Maybe it still will.

Disaster Transport was a fun ride with perfectly good theming for a regional park. I never understood why the ride was so universally disliked. My only gripe with the ride was how unimaginably ugly the exterior of the building was.

This. I even found the ride itself a ton of fun.