TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Actually I've noticed in a couple of pictures the previous run to the final brakes has been cut and shaped to resemble small speed hills (you have to look REALLY closely). Plus the midcourse brakes are most likely staying given the ledgers placed there are straight and flat. I don't think they're done yet.

Wouldn't it still be one of the longest IBox even if they did nothing more?

I'm not sure, but here are the lengths for the existing Ibox conversions for reference:

Twisted Colossus - 4,990 ft

New Texas Giant - 4,200 ft

Wicked Cyclone - 3,320 ft

Iron Rattler - 3,266 ft

Joker - 3,200 ft

Medusa Steel Coaster - 3,000 ft

Storm Chaser - 2,744 ft

Edited by Steely Dan

Also, it's hard to really see everything going on but if you take a train ride and hop on Magnum you can see track all over the place. Even in the parking lot for the new water park. Also, not sure if anyone spotted it yet but the entrance and queue are being built.

RMC generally has built their converted rides from start to finish (a few exceptions, most obviously the lack of a lift hill currently on MS), so it would make total sense that we haven't seen any work done for the third lap until the second lap has been built.

Magnum is running one train today. I've been on a couple pretty empty days but I don't recall seeing them ever run less than two. Is this common for the first couple weeks or could it have something to do with getting it certified? Not trying to speculate, just curious because that's a long ride.

I don't think they're increasing the height by around 40 feet only to make the track length 1,000 feet shorter.

yeah, going through all of the energy and expense to completeLY redefine mean streak only to have the ride prematurely end several hundred feet after the MCBR just doesn't seem like CP's style.

I'll never say never, but that would be a truly head scratching development. It's become pretty clear to me that they're going all out here in an attempt to build another coaster that will hopefully contend as a global top 5 coaster.

Edited by Steely Dan

^They have 2 trains running currently

[attachment=0]magnum2trains.jpg[/attachment]

Oh interesting. I swear I saw two trains on the storage track earlier this morning... Maybe they added a second train or maybe I was seeing things.

Love watching the webcams when I have nothing better to do. Just watched TTD roll back twice in a row.

I decided to check them out and am actually blown away at the consistency of dispatches on TTD! Right now I'm seeing trains go up and over the tower in a quite extraordinary short amount of time. It's almost 2 or sometimes 3 launches before you see a Millenium Force train in the pretzel or a dispatch on Magnum!

Every time I see a new picture of RMC Mean Streak, I can't help but think of all the people who said it wouldn't be a good ride to convert because it had a boring or terrible layout. I almost feel like Alan Schilke read those posts and said "hold my beer".

LOL, that's about right. The work is being done in a way that I almost hope the ride name doesn't change. Mean seems like a fitting word to describe how it looks and it's not even done yet.

The name should just be Meaner Streak.

I'd love to see a Coaster, but maybe even more so, I'd like a Sky Jump!

I'm with it. It's just nice to see Intamin rides being built on our shores again after that lengthy hiatus. #fanboy

I'll take 1 traditional log flume, please and thank you!

I'm not just saying this because I'm biased towards Log Flumes, I agree 100% and that's pretty much the only hole in their ride lineup right now. They have a ridiculous coaster collection and next year will only reinforce that, they have an great flat ride collection (by American corporate park standards), they have 2 drenching water rides but they REALLY need water ride to cool you off without soaking you. They also need a family ride with mass appeal and a 42 inch height requirement since all of their family coasters are 48 inches now. A Log Flume is an obvious choice for Cedar Point.