TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

why isnt magnum xl 200 running in 2017 i been watching the webcams on cp and they have the cars in the other track for storage are they closing that ride for expansion for 2018

It's sinking due to all of the recent rain and flooding. We all know that Magnum has been slowly sinking for years now - this recent rainfall is just accelerating this sinking.

Couple that with the recent water park renovations altering the water table level near the coaster footers of the lift hill and all signs are obvious that it's going to be torn down and moved to Michigan's Adventure next year.

Gemini apparently opened earlier today and Magnum is cycling regularly but the park is telling everyone it won't open and that they shouldn't wait. I would think it would be good to go by next weekend though with all of the cycles they're running.

Damn, they were so close to having all of the coasters open on opening weekend for the first time in 3 years.

Well now there is no reason to leave frontierland with the looks of that thing.

Don't worry. Millennium Force still exists.

and GateKeeper!

I swear I can hear the Maverick fanboys screaming from miles away.

Except, they're all in Frontierland, because that's where Maverick is.

Gemini apparently opened earlier today and Magnum is cycling regularly but the park is telling everyone it won't open and that they shouldn't wait. I would think it would be good to go by next weekend though with all of the cycles they're running.

Damn, they were so close to having all of the coasters open on opening weekend for the first time in 3 years.

Yes Gemini opened around 1 o'clock. I was actually on the first train of the season haha.

Magnum has been running 2 trains with dummies in it for a couple hours.

^That's crazy! I've ridden all 4 Intamin Accelerators in the US and I really wish I could say I've experienced a rollback. I've ridden Xcelerator probably hundreds of times, and I've never experienced one (although I think beautiful California weather is partially to blame for that).

Will be riding TTD in early August this year... maybe my time will come!

Get in line first thing in the morning when it's about to open, that's your best shot. I fly up a few times a year from Texas (going next weekend!) and I got one last season! It was windy, I was honestly surprised that TTD was running. The 2 trains in front of me all got a rollback and the ride announcer couldn't help but laugh as he said the usual spill about how sometimes the train doesn't crest the hill. With a snicker he said "just so you all know...there's a chance"! They closed the ride after we rolled back for about 3 hours for the wind to die down.

Anybody else notice the 2 new , what I assume are generators over by millennium force? They are located next to the tunnel on the station side.

I saw them from the train yesterday. Not sure if they're generators, but I'm not sure what they are.

So I was at the park both days this weekend. As stated earlier, magnum didn't run at all but was sending trains around from about 3 till closing yesterday with test dummies in it.

Saturday ended up being a great day. The crappy forecast kept people away and it didn't rain at all till about 6:30. It stopped shortly after and didn't rain again until we had taken our last ride on maverick at about 10 after 8.

It was chilly but mostly everything was open and running well. Even dragster was open for a solid portion of the day and was even running in the rain at the end of the night. Operations and reliability were almost in midseason form which was mind blowing, but an awesome surprise.

On to yesterday...

Yesterday definitely felt much more like "opening day". It wasn't crowded but there was plenty of down time, staffing issues, and kinda crappy service. In the end though, it was still a great weekend and I'm so excited for a new season of coasters!

Scorecard For the whole weekend:

Raptor: 3 rides

Blue Streak: 1 ride

Valravn: 3 rides

maXair: 2 rides

Gatekeeper: 2 rides

Wicked Twister: 1 ride

Rougarou: 2 rides

Millennium: 4 rides

Train: way to much for looks at Mean Streak

Skyhawk: 1 ride

Maverick: 4 rides

Gemini: 1 ride (first train of the year)

Pipe Scream: 1 ride

Mine Ride: 1 ride

Corkscrew: 1 ride

Power Tower Drop Side: 1 ride

Top Thrill Cubster: 1 ride

Thanks to Cedar Point for a great opening weekend!

All these pics and talk of opening weekend have me pumped. I fly out to Cleveland Saturday (RnR HOF Saturday afternoon) then on to Sandusky that night, staying at the newly refurbed CP Express. CP on Sunday and Monday. First ever trip so I'm like a kid counting down the days till Christmas morning!

And weather forecast looks great so far... (and that's all I'll say about the weather )

All these pics and talk of opening weekend have me pumped. I fly out to Cleveland Saturday (RnR HOF Saturday afternoon) then on to Sandusky that night, staying at the newly refurbed CP Express. CP on Sunday and Monday. First ever trip so I'm like a kid counting down the days till Christmas morning!

And weather forecast looks great so far... (and that's all I'll say about the weather )

We stayed at the new express hotel, and were very happy with what they have done. My wife likes the carpet in the hallways because it has a honeycomb pattern like fury 325.

20170506_083834.thumb.jpg.57dea0a34677771b822d8f4732a55764.jpg

Took this as we were leaving the room.

We stayed at the new express hotel, and were very happy with what they have done. My wife likes the carpet in the hallways because it has a honeycomb pattern like fury 325.

Nice thanks for sharing the pic! I'd seen the "official" hotel pics and concept drawings of the refurbed rooms but you never know how those stand up to how a place really looks. Looking forward to staying there.

From what I've heard, Magnum wasn't open this weekend because......................It's not state certified yet. Classic lol

That's why millennium wasn't open on pass holder preview night in 2015.

My guess would be because of the water park construction? Couldn't test the ride until a certain part of construction was finished

From what I've heard, Magnum wasn't open this weekend because......................It's not state certified yet. Classic lol

My guess would be because of the water park construction? Couldn't test the ride until a certain part of construction was finished

This stuff happens every year. That's why I stopped going to opening weekend. If they can't bother to get the park operating the way it should be, I can't bother to spend money with them.

I forgot to add this cooll shot of inside of melt. Lots of retro items, and this really cool wall .

Where was Melt? I heard it was by Planet Snoopy. I tried to find it yesterday. I was there too. I tried to find it on the map and was unsuccessful. Were they open and did you eat there???

It's across from Planet Snoopy where the Joe Cool Cafe was.

I believe Melt is not supposed to open for another couple weeks...

Thanks, that's where I looked and didn't see anything from the outside. Not even a sign yesterday on the outside.

This stuff happens every year. That's why I stopped going to opening weekend. If they can't bother to get the park operating the way it should be, I can't bother to spend money with them.

Not trying to pick a fight, but it's usually a lot more complicated than it seems to get rides commissioned and ready for the season. I'm not sure what the minimum cycles if for CP, but I'm guessing in the range of 50-100 for each unit/ride. Combine that with staffing levels still not where they should be as people finish school, training, etc and it takes time. Not blaming you for skipping opening weekend, though.