TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The ledgers placed so far are indicating this as the layout until the mcbr (obviously the drop is speculated)

Fantastic NMS speculation animation! Loving all the other pictures being posted from around the park, including those futuristic trash cans.

It's difficult to appreciate the scale of the new Mean Streak from the pics, especially since the big first hill is tucked away. The original structure was so impressive in person though that I can imagine this must feel just as monstrous in the flesh. Looking forward to seeing it in action and, hopefully, returning to CP to give it a spin. I'm especially curious to see how it handles that second outward-bank hill though as that looks, to me, like it has the potential to be more uncomfortable than fun. Then again, the outward bank hills and turns are one of the RMC tropes that I've never enjoyed that much.

^That's crazy! I've ridden all 4 Intamin Accelerators in the US and I really wish I could say I've experienced a rollback. I've ridden Xcelerator probably hundreds of times, and I've never experienced one (although I think beautiful California weather is partially to blame for that).

Will be riding TTD in early August this year... maybe my time will come!

I'm shocked that there's been a rollback. They have 14 years of data about how much juice they need to send trains over the top.

Dragster rollbacks are almost a daily occurrence. They generally take place early in the day or after a long breakdown.

After they launch a decent amount of trains the ride systems get a pretty good idea of how fast they need to throw the trains but almost every morning you'll get at least one rollback during testing. Once they open the ride, they do it slowly, only loading the first few rows and gradually opening more and more rows. Rollbacks are also really common during this process and that's most likely when they shot this video. Honestly since there was a camera mounted on the train this was probably shot before the ride opened to the public they probably went straight from testing to a completely full train. When you do that a rollback is almost guaranteed.

The closest I have been to ONE was on the loading platform. Saw a bunch the first few years. Has anyone experienced one?

I was lucky enough to get a rollback about 5 years ago. The first few hours of that day were too windy for TTD to open then the wind died down enough for testing. As soon as I saw this my friends and I got in line. Every train rolled back the first 15 minutes we were in line. After that then every other train rolled back and that was good enough to open TTD. The crew ran two trains and opened the first two cars. The two trains were the purple and green trains. The green train seemed to be the only train that rolled back during previous visits. Green was the culprit that day so I liked my chances. Suddenly my luck seemed to change. The four dispatches before me were all successful and we had to wait a train for a handicapped group. That extra train caused us to get the purple train instead of the green. That bummed me out a little and then I tried to do a little trickery. There were three people in my group so I sat in the front and the other two sat behind me. The ride ops made one guy move up to avoid a rollback. The heaviest guy was still in back as a long shot. The train was crawling on the top hat and it seemed like we were just going to make it. Suddenly the train stopped for a few seconds and we rolled back. I was beyond excited to finally reach that elusive goal. When the train came to a stop one of the ride ops ran to see if we were okay and asked us if we wanted to get off. We just said hell no lets go again. The second launch was successful and I got more excited. Another cool thing is that the trains were launching between 124-126 mph so I got my fastest ride on TTD. The rollback made my trip even better and it's one of my coaster riding highlights. Now I just need to be lucky enough to stall on the top hat. I think that's only happened four times and I'm so jealous of those riders.

The only rollback I've gotten was actually on the launch/lift hill at the start of Maverick. We were probably less than halfway up the lift, and since the LSMs slowed it back down immediately, it wasn't much of a "rollback," but I was caught off guard because I never heard about that happening on Maverick before.

So after all the speculation about $hit weather for today, turned out fantastic. About 55 with peeks of sun. Didn't rain till like 6:30 and that didn't last more than 20 minutes.

Absolutely fantastic day.

Will post more about the visit tomorrow but I'm beat and getting up and doing it all over again tomorrow lol.

Nice to have coasters back in my life.

Edited by bluestreak

So after all the speculation about shit weather for today, turned out fantastic. About 55 with peeks of sun. Didn't rain till like 6:30 and that didn't last more than 20 minutes.

Absolutely fantastic day.

Should have put my foot down and told my wife we were going. Maybe next weekend (pending weather...but let's not start that discussion again)

CG

Next weekend should be better anyway. While the weather has been better than expected, they're still having the usual opening weekend jitters. Most rides are suffering a ton of downtime and Magnum and Gemini haven't operated at all. None of this is unusual for opening weekend but by next weekend things should be running a little smoother.