TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Counting the amount of roller coasters you have ridden is just a fun way of keeping track of your hobby. I honestly don't care if someone counts sliding down their stairs in a cardboard box as a credit. I can see both sides of the argument for Mantis and Rougarou, and there's no real answer. At the end of the day the whole point is to have fun with your hobby, and if someone wants to count them both, who are we to judge anyway?

Counting the amount of roller coasters you have ridden is just a fun way of keeping track of your hobby. I honestly don't care if someone counts sliding down their stairs in a cardboard box as a credit. I can see both sides of the argument for Mantis and Rougarou, and there's no real answer. At the end of the day the whole point is to have fun with your hobby, and if someone wants to count them both, who are we to judge anyway?

Well said!

This discussion has been taking place for decades among enthusiasts that like to count credits and there's never been and will never be a real resolution. If counting credits is your thing then count whatever you want to count, nobody will ever agree anyway and in the end it doesn't really matter because it's just an arbitrary d*ck waving contest. There's nothing wrong with counting credits, I do it (though I don't take it all that seriously and don't seek out stupid credits or ride kids coasters) but I completely understand why people are sick and tired of this recurring debate that never leads to anything resembling a resolution. This conversation almost always descends into people taking a hobby that should be laid back and fun way too seriously. I'm not saying that's what's specifically happening here, it just usually ends up being the case when this conversation comes up.

My bad, I must admit I did make the comment mostly as a joke and same here, I don't even when get that into the cred thing. I'm just a numbers nerd I like to keep track mostly for my love of collecting and keeping track. I collect CDs as well and love organizing junk. Just how my lame brain works

Edited by JJLehto

You're so much better than us - How do I get to be as cool as you? We're all just so lame, discussing roller coasters on a theme park website. Please just tell me how to be as cool as you!

You can try your entire life, but it's pointless. You will never get there.

People who are gaming enthusiasts brag about their achievement score all the time. Hell people brag all the time in video games about their various scores. Its a fun thing people do to keep track and its no big deal if people want to discuss what counts and what doesn't. Not everyone has to do it to enjoy the community, but liking to do it doesn't make you a worse person.

No doubt. I know how many roller coasters I've ridden. Or at least I have it logged on the coastercounter.com website. However, being so critical and analytical about how you go about counting your credits is hilarious to me.

I found Rougarou to be slightly less mediocre than Mantis without the pain.

On the subject of coaster credits, I count credits based on time of day, day of week, and weather. Riding on a warm sunny day is a different experience than riding in the rain and so is riding at night, so I count all of those as separate credits. Really makes it impressive when I tell people how many coaster experiences I've had.

This is a joke and I'm the only one who got it, right?.... Right?

Speaking of new credits, make sure to get the elusive "Top Thrill Cubster" credit available opening weekend only!

You're so much better than us - How do I get to be as cool as you? We're all just so lame, discussing roller coasters on a theme park website. Please just tell me how to be as cool as you!

You can try your entire life, but it's pointless. You will never get there.

Savage.

Speaking of new credits, make sure to get the elusive "Top Thrill Cubster" credit available opening weekend only!

Make sure to ride it Saturday and Sunday to get 2 credits. It's a different experience riding on a Saturday then Sunday! Right?

I've never kept track of my credits. I've tried to count recently and I was at about 200, give or take.

I have a funny "enthusiast" story.

My family and I visited Cedar Point in 94. I had ridden my first enormous coaster, Kumba, the year before. I immediately wanted to ride bigger and better coasters. I had been to Cedar Point before but this was the first time I wanted to ride every coaster there.

I remember getting to the park and immediately, by mistake, riding Raptor. We must've waited two hours to ride. I loved it, but Kumba was still my favorite.

After Raptor, we went to ride Magnum. I was so nervous climbing that giant lift hill for the first time but when all was said and done, I thought Raptor was better.

Later that night, we were in line for Magnum again. We were behind this guy wearing a jean vest with numerous roller coaster patches sewn on. I'm pretty sure he was an ACE member. We started talking about Cedar Point and eventually roller coasters. He asked me what my favorite coaster was and I told him Kumba. He said, "That's because you haven't ridden Magnum yet." I told him I had and still liked Kumba and Raptor better. He flipped out on me and told me I didn't know anything about coasters or Cedar Point. It was like I murdered his family because Magnum wasn't my favorite coaster. He was so mad, he actually left the queue. It probably didn't help that he was getting heckled pretty bad by the people around him. I was 13 at the time and promised myself I would never be like that guy. That night ride on Magnum was spectacular, by the way.

I still like Kumba and Raptor more. I guess I never really got the hype with Magnum.

Magnum is fun, I do like it a good bit but I can get someone not being that into it. Personally I dont mind, actually I sometimes like, a little roughness, and I enjoy sense of speed and movement, so I'm fine with it not really having air time. Fun ride but I see why many dont agree

I keep track of my coaster credits on two different sites, and they don't even line up in terms of total count! Furthermore, I couldn't even tell you right now what my count is, on either site! Clearly, I'm not a very good roller coaster enthusiast! (Oh, and Rougarou is a VERY different experience than Mantis was, and most definitely a different credit, in spite of being the same track! )

Yeah, I reckon the experience will be different enough to warrant a new cred for me but more so I just will be glad to not have to stand!

Funny, what I was more excited about was Gatekeeper and Valravn. Have never been on a dive or wing, and while I'm not expecting either to blow me away, it seems these are 2 of the better examples of each out there so I'm looking forward to it.

I found Rougarou to be slightly less mediocre than Mantis without the pain.

On the subject of coaster credits, I count credits based on time of day, day of week, and weather. Riding on a warm sunny day is a different experience than riding in the rain and so is riding at night, so I count all of those as separate credits. Really makes it impressive when I tell people how many coaster experiences I've had.

This is a joke and I'm the only one who got it, right?.... Right?

Lol yes I was definitely not being serious.