TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Skyrocket runs 2 trains and has decent capacity due in part to how short the ride is, but I don't think it'll be enough for Cedar Point. Only 12 people per train can ride.

You mean kinda like Maverick?

This is a bit grainy since it's captured from the webcam but cam 3 is showing a nice view of Ripcord in it's new location. Note: Maverick and Rougarou testing.

Thanks for destroying my productivity for the afternoon.

Ninja to Blue Hawk is like Night and Day. I disagree with whoever said that it is a boring ride because it isn't. It is a custom looper with 5 inversions over the water. It still has it's shuffles, but with the new vest restraints, the shuffles don't bruise the sides of your head. You can also see better without the OTSR's. It still isn't a great ride, but it is SO much better than it was and it is actually rideable and re-rideable again.

Cool, thanks for the alternate opinion. Some enthusiasts here write-off many coasters as "turds" or "crap" that I find to be decent or ok. Because I haven't ridden hundreds upon hundreds of different coasters across 5 continents, I imagine that my standards are simply lower. Also, as a child of the '70s/'80s, I have a bit of a soft spot for the old Arrow and Vekoma multi-loopers that I cut my first coaster teeth on.

The height limit for Corkscrew is 48".

The height limit for Blue Hawk is also 48".

It seems likely that Blue Hawk's new trains could be added to Corkscrew without affecting the rider height requirement. If there were a way to get that down to 42", and maybe tweak the "airtime hill of death" a little bit, that could really help solidify Corkscrew as a good mid-level looping family coaster.

maybe tweak the "airtime hill of death" a little bit, that could really help solidify Corkscrew as a good mid-level looping family coaster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Corkscrew welded together like most Arrows, therefore pretty much cancelling out all tweaking possibilities?

IIRC, the Maurer Skyloop at Magic Springs was supposed to be relocated to Elitch Gardens, but that changed because the coaster's welded together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Corkscrew welded together like most Arrows, therefore pretty much cancelling out all tweaking possibilities?

Being welded together doesn't mean it can't be tweaked. Silverwood did a ton of maintenance including some changes to the track on their Corkscrew for the last season.

I'm also a big softie for the old Arrows, but I never had a problem with Corkscrew at CP the way I did with some of the other corkscrew model coasters (looking at you Python).

Then again, the only Arrows I ever thought were justifiably called rough were Shockwave, Drachen Fire, and Great American Scream Machine. Smoothest Arrow looper to me is Loch Ness Monster, but Corkscrew at CP isn't that far behind in my opinion.

With that said, I rode Blue Hawk last year and would greatly prefer seeing more Arrows get those trains over getting torn down. I bet those "rough three" I said before might still be standing if they had redesigned trains. I know Ninja was Vekoma, but Vekoma was just a spin-off of Arrow anyhow, on Arrow's own track.

I'm a stickler for history, it's my nature, so Id like to see Corkscrew stay just because of how iconic it is. That said progress is progress. If they did replace it with something new that still did the double corkscrew over the walkway, I'd not be that bummed. Besides restraints...it's obviously an old ride that's not really good/past its prime. At any other park/in a less historical context it would've been removed years ago. We need B&M or intamin to get in the makeover business, turn these old arrows into new good rides like RMC does.

I too am a stickler for history, but the double corkscrew over the midway is really the only thing about Corkscrew that stands out to me. I agree that it's great when parks preserve historic rides, but it shouldn't be determined just upon the age of a ride. Rides like Whizzer, Schwarzkopf loopers/shuttles, log flumes, classic flats, old woodies, GOOD Arrow coasters, etc. that still provide thrills or a unique experience that not really like what modern incarnations try to imitate, but Corkscrew doesn't really fall into this category. It become sub-par years ago with its uneventful and rough layout and is overshadowed in a park like Cedar Point.

Oh absolutely, I probably should've stuck with iconic, because you're right it's entirely the image of the corkscrews over the walkway. There is really nothing else about it and I've not bothered to ride it in over a decade. For me it's age/history/icon status AND quality as well as how much it fits.

I really wasn't very wowed by Loch Ness Monster, (surely I'm not alone) but it's so classic, it doesn't take away anything from BGW so I'd hate to see it go. While as you say so many good old rides have gotten the axe. Absolutely, I'd have not be very sad at all if they replaced it. Coasterbill has a good point, part of it is surely convenience it doesn't take up much space. It's absolutely a subpar ride, even better trains wouldn't help its slow boring layout. If anything it'd be like Mean Streak...for me the roughness is the one thing I COULD feel without that the ride was even worse!

I really wasn't very wowed by Loch Ness Monster, (surely I'm not alone) but it's so classic, it doesn't take away anything from BGW so I'd hate to see it go.

Where did you sit on LNM that it didn't wow you? Because if you rode in the back car and weren't wow'd by the air time (especially on the first drop), I don't know what to say to you.

Yeah, there's a lot of really amazing things that have come along in recent years, but sometimes knowing where to sit makes a HUGE difference in the quality of those older coasters.

With that said, I also don't think we should forget the "levels" of coasters, and that it's a big deal to some guests. Lets talk about looping coasters at CP:

Corkscrew: 3 inversions, 85 foot drop, 48mph

Gatekeeper: 6 inversions, 170ft drop, 67mph

Maverick: 2 inversions, launch coaster, beyond-vertical drop, 70mph

Raptor: 6 inversions, 137ft, 57mph

Rougarou: 4 inversions, 145ft, 60mph

Valrvn: 3 inversions, 214ft vertical drop, 75mph.

Not everyone wants to ride those "huge" coasters. If you're graduating from Iron Dragon/Gemini to the next big thrill, and want to try going upside down, you either get on corkscrew, or your next "logical" options are Maverick (which many consider the most intense ride in the park), Rougarou (very intimidating to coaster newbies), or Valrvn (extremely intimidating to newbies).

Corkscrew fills a role, so if it ever goes, it really needs to be replaced with something else that fills that exact role. That's not even getting into the height discussion, because a lot of adults find themselves in "new coaster" territory too. However yes, the B&Ms and the like do have very tall height requirements. I once had to turn a legal adult away from Alpengeist because they weren't tall enough :/

It's absolutely a subpar ride, even better trains wouldn't help its slow boring layout. If anything it'd be like Mean Streak...for me the roughness is the one thing I COULD feel without that the ride was even worse!

I don't think the new vekoma trains with soft vest restraints would eliminate Corkscrew's roughness, I just think that they'd make experiencing that roughness a whole hell of a lot more tolerable compared to the old rigid horse collars currently in place.

I personally haven't had the chance to ride Blue Hawk at SFOG, but I can tell you that without a doubt, Tennessee Tornado has to be one of the smoothest Arrows out there. I don't know what Arrow did back in 1998 to make it any different than their previous custom loopers, but even after all these years, it still packs a punch.

I honestly feel like they've already done this (in a much more cost effective way) with Blue Hawk at SFOG. I don't understand why every park with a rough Arrow looper doesn't buy these trains.

Yeah, that's probably a really good starting point.

For anyone who has ridden both blue hawk and its former iteration, ninja, how big of a difference do the new trains make for the ride? Is it night and day, or just marginally better?

Ninja to Blue Hawk is like Night and Day. I disagree with whoever said that it is a boring ride because it isn't. It is a custom looper with 5 inversions over the water. It still has it's shuffles, but with the new vest restraints, the shuffles don't bruise the sides of your head. You can also see better without the OTSR's. It still isn't a great ride, but it is SO much better than it was and it is actually rideable and re-rideable again.

I agree. I never rode Ninja but I rode Blue Hawk. I enjoyed it and it was pretty smooth for being a Vekoma.

I really wasn't very wowed by Loch Ness Monster, (surely I'm not alone) but it's so classic, it doesn't take away anything from BGW so I'd hate to see it go.

Where did you sit on LNM that it didn't wow you? Because if you rode in the back car and weren't wow'd by the air time (especially on the first drop), I don't know what to say to you.

Yeah, there's a lot of really amazing things that have come along in recent years, but sometimes knowing where to sit makes a HUGE difference in the quality of those older coasters.

With that said, I also don't think we should forget the "levels" of coasters, and that it's a big deal to some guests. Lets talk about looping coasters at CP:

Not everyone wants to ride those "huge" coasters. If you're graduating from Iron Dragon/Gemini to the next big thrill, and want to try going upside down, you either get on corkscrew, or your next "logical" options are Maverick (which many consider the most intense ride in the park), Rougarou (very intimidating to coaster newbies), or Valrvn (extremely intimidating to newbies).

Corkscrew fills a role, so if it ever goes, it really needs to be replaced with something else that fills that exact role. That's not even getting into the height discussion, because a lot of adults find themselves in "new coaster" territory too. However yes, the B&Ms and the like do have very tall height requirements. I once had to turn a legal adult away from Alpengeist because they weren't tall enough :/

I can't agree with you more here, because this was exactly how I felt growing up. The first logical loopers were the Disney coasters, followed by, yup, small Arrows. It then took a relatively small B&M (Batman) to get me onto bigger rides. While we don't find many Arrow coasters all that exciting or memorable anymore, they're a well-needed stepping stone into the world of inverting rides. Without them, it would have been nigh-on impossible to get me on an inverting coaster.

It's like an old 90's Ford Taurus. Ostensibly, it's a blight on cars as a fun concept. It's a rattlebox, it's boring, it's uninspired, sure. But it's still useful for just as many reasons as a shiny new Mustang, even if they're not immediately apparent to you, specifically. It's someone's first car. Their first four door. Their reliable daily. It matters. And it still works. So why kill it?

I honestly feel like they've already done this (in a much more cost effective way) with Blue Hawk at SFOG. I don't understand why every park with a rough Arrow looper doesn't buy these trains.

Yeah, that's probably a really good starting point.

For anyone who has ridden both blue hawk and its former iteration, ninja, how big of a difference do the new trains make for the ride? Is it night and day, or just marginally better?

Definitely agree with this! It went from something I rode once a season just to torture myself, to something that I now usually ride and find enjoyable. It is now comfortable enough to me to be a fun ride, and that’s a huge improvement!

Well, I don't know what to say, LNM certainly isn't bad, I didn't dislike it, just I didn't really care much for it either. I know for a fact I'm not alone in feeling that, both from general discussions and its 212th ranking on the last MH. IDK, was a nice but underwhelming ride. Its just my opinion so I'm not gunna get to into it, especially since this was not the main thrust of the post. If you're curious though, I just found it kind of slow/poorly paced and doesn't do much. I guess that's just it, its lower on the coaster ladder, you are 100% right there are different levels, each serves a purpose and not all wanna ride the biggies, well some do want that and just are neutral on LNM or Corkscrew. Thats all

Anyway, Corkscrew take it or leave, either way I don't bother with it. Much more intrigued by whats happening to MS! When I go in June, curious how much more progress will be done

I personally haven't had the chance to ride Blue Hawk at SFOG, but I can tell you that without a doubt, Tennessee Tornado has to be one of the smoothest Arrows out there. I don't know what Arrow did back in 1998 to make it any different than their previous custom loopers, but even after all these years, it still packs a punch.

Computers started advancing very rapidly in the 90s.

Computers started advancing very rapidly in the 90s.

And Alan Schilke (the guy behind X2 and the current RMCs) designed it, too.

Back to Corkscrew, if a retracking was necessary, would it be possible for Chance Rides to give it a total retracking and then for Vekoma to give it vest restraints/Sunkid Heege to give it lap bars?

We've seen how smooth Lightning Run was, why can't Corkscrew be like that?

Also, in terms of looks, it wouldn't really matter, since the track shape looks so similar, the GP wouldn't notice.

Back to Corkscrew, if a retracking was necessary, would it be possible for Chance Rides to give it a total retracking and then for Vekoma to give it vest restraints/Sunkid Heege to give it lap bars?

We've seen how smooth Lightning Run was, why can't Corkscrew be like that?

Also, in terms of looks, it wouldn't really matter, since the track shape looks so similar, the GP wouldn't notice.

Now I'm not saying they would do this, nor should they (and I hated Corkscrew) because they could probably just get the newer trains/restraints and mostly solve the issue without losing the original layout, but speaking hypothetically, if they were to do this, wouldn't the park want to advertise it and want the majority of park goers to know that it is a retracked, smoother, better ride? What would be the point of doing it otherwise if not to advertise it and get people to come ride it?

They're not going to spend the money to retrack a ride with a crappy layout in the first place. When you get to spending that amount the ROI is so low if they're not trying to market it as a new ride that they're better off just building a new ride. Corkscrew is famous because of its history and what it means for the park (along with its looks), not for being a 40mph tiny looping coaster.

I only rode Corkscrew once in 2014 to get the credit and I didn't think it was that bad. I've certainly had much worse rides on other Arrows

I feel the same way. Corkscrew is bad, but it's not THAT bad. I usually ride it once per visit.

There's an image circulating of metal detectors outside the front gate area. I'm not sharing it because I'm not exactly sure who took it or if it was authorized but it seems like a mundane enough issue that we can bring it up. This is definitely not a surprise but they're going to need to find a really efficient way to do it, especially at the resort gate for early entry.

There's an image circulating of metal detectors outside the front gate area. I'm not sharing it because I'm not exactly sure who took it or if it was authorized but it seems like a mundane enough issue that we can bring it up. This is definitely not a surprise but they're going to need to find a really efficient way to do it, especially at the resort gate for early entry.

When we were there last spring, my wife was very pleasantly surprised to see no metal detectors and also she saw people bringing in bottles of water and wagons for their kids to ride in. We were really impressed with all of this, however, I can't see it remaining that way for much longer unfortunately...