TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I could only handle 2 rides on Mean Streak, partially due to roughness partly due to being bored

I actually liked the ride even less after the re track...it was slow and dull, so the roughness at least let you feel something. When it was smoother, it was just slow and dull. Its a classic but I wont miss it

Am I the only one who isn't freaking out trying to find the newest "leaked" photos of New Mean Streak??

I'm kind of enjoying the waiting for the announcement. I have no doubt that this coaster is going to blow all other RMC's out of the water.

Am I the only one who isn't freaking out trying to find the newest "leaked" photos of New Mean Streak??

I'm kind of enjoying the waiting for the announcement. I have no doubt that this coaster is going to blow all other RMC's out of the water.

Same, I like the not knowing and being surprised. The potential is definitely there, someone said it somewhere, MS is so big it scrubs off a lot of its speed, so if that can be avoided this could be one big, fast messed up ride!

Mean Streak and Corkscrew tag teamed my back the day I went. If my back had been in better shape I may have ridden Mean Streak again. .

oddly enough, the first time i ever rode mean streak back in '91, i had woken up that morning with a pretty bad back/neck ache from sleeping in a funny position.

after one spin on mean streak (our first ride of the day) i was healed! seriously, the thing had completely readjusted my spine like a chiropractor and i felt so much better for the rest of our day at the park.

true story.

If corkscrew is really that bad, would it really hurt that much to give it vest restraints/lap bars? (see EqWalizer at Walibi Rhone-Alpes)

I mean, worst case scenario it ruins the "classic" feel of the ride, but it should do less harm than good, right?

right?

That would be great. Honestly I really don't like Corkscrew at all but I also hope they never remove it because it looks nice and kids really seem to enjoy it. If they added those it would still be a mediocre ride but I'd ride it a lot more often.

That would be great. Honestly I really don't like Corkscrew at all but I also hope they never remove it because it looks nice and kids really seem to enjoy it. If they added those it would still be a mediocre ride but I'd ride it a lot more often.

At the ripe old age of 41, Corkscrew has the 3rd longest tenure of any coaster in CP's entire history (only Blue Streak & CCMR have been around longer) and those corkscrews over the midway have become an iconic fixture at the park (at least for me because they've been there my whole life).

I know that Corkscrew, like all things, will eventually reach the end of its useful life, but I wonder if, in the future, there might be an RMC type of company that will refurbish and breath new energy and life into aging arrow multi-loopers like Corkscrew? Keep the iconic corkscrews, but make it a better, smoother, longer, more exciting ride.

I know that when its end finally does come, it'll probably just be removed, but I'll really miss those midway corkscrews, particularly those beautiful structural arches that arrow used to support the inversions on their earlier coasters.

Edited by Steely Dan

I know that when its end finally does come, it'll probably just be removed, but I'll really miss those midway corkscrews.

It wouldn't surprise me that if/when that point comes, that the park would replace it with another coaster that also corkscrews over the midway.

I know that when its end finally does come, it'll probably just be removed, but I'll really miss those midway corkscrews, particularly those beautiful structural arches that arrow used to support the inversions on their earlier coasters.

This is my favorite thing about Corkscrew. I definitely enjoy watching it more than riding it.

I know that Corkscrew, like all things, will eventually reach the end of its useful life, but I wonder if, in the future, there might be an RMC type of company that will refurbish and breath new energy and life into aging arrow multi-loopers like Corkscrew? Keep the iconic corkscrews, but make it a better, smoother, longer, more exciting ride.

I honestly feel like they've already done this (in a much more cost effective way) with Blue Hawk at SFOG. I don't understand why every park with a rough Arrow looper doesn't buy these trains.

I'm a stickler for history, it's my nature, so Id like to see Corkscrew stay just because of how iconic it is. That said progress is progress. If they did replace it with something new that still did the double corkscrew over the walkway, I'd not be that bummed. Besides restraints...it's obviously an old ride that's not really good/past its prime. At any other park/in a less historical context it would've been removed years ago. We need B&M or intamin to get in the makeover business, turn these old arrows into new good rides like RMC does.

I honestly feel like they've already done this (in a much more cost effective way) with Blue Hawk at SFOG. I don't understand why every park with a rough Arrow looper doesn't buy these trains.

Yeah, that's probably a really good starting point.

For anyone who has ridden both blue hawk and its former iteration, ninja, how big of a difference do the new trains make for the ride? Is it night and day, or just marginally better?

I'm a stickler for history, it's my nature, so Id like to see Corkscrew stay just because of how iconic it is. That said progress is progress. If they did replace it with something new that still did the double corkscrew over the walkway, I'd not be that bummed. Besides restraints...it's obviously an old ride that's not really good/past its prime. At any other park/in a less historical context it would've been removed years ago. We need B&M or intamin to get in the makeover business, turn these old arrows into new good rides like RMC does.

I too am a stickler for history, but the double corkscrew over the midway is really the only thing about Corkscrew that stands out to me. I agree that it's great when parks preserve historic rides, but it shouldn't be determined just upon the age of a ride. Rides like Whizzer, Schwarzkopf loopers/shuttles, log flumes, classic flats, old woodies, GOOD Arrow coasters, etc. that still provide thrills or a unique experience that not really like what modern incarnations try to imitate, but Corkscrew doesn't really fall into this category. It become sub-par years ago with its uneventful and rough layout and is overshadowed in a park like Cedar Point.

For anyone who has ridden both blue hawk and its former iteration, ninja, how big of a difference do the new trains make for the ride? Is it night and day, or just marginally better?

its a much more comfortable ride now, to the point where it's almost fun. But one way or another, its still a piece of turd, because you can't fix or paint a piece of turd. It's just not a thrilling coaster - that's what I'm implying.

It would be cool if Cedar Point replaced Corkscrew with a Premier launched coaster similar to Sky Rocket at Kennywood that also corkscrewed over the midway. Would be a nice way to modernize and still keep kid friendly.

Honestly I think the reason Corkscrew is still at the park has much more to do with it's tiny footprint than it's historical value. I don't think parks put much emphasis on the latter. The lift hill, first drop, most of the brake run and the airtime hill of death all take place over a service / maintenance area. The loop, rest of the brake run and run up to the corkscrews hug the very edge of the park border. The corkscrews (obviously) take place over the midway.

If you remove Corkscrew the only areas you'd really free up are the tiny section of track between the corkscrews and when it straightens out along the park border (removing this would really only give you enough room for a ride the size of Matterhorn) and the small queue and station area. There's no point in removing Corkscrew, if they wanted to remove a coaster to free up space then they would remove Cedar Creek Mine Ride. If they needed a place to put a ride that's roughly the size of Corkscrew's tiny footprint then they could put it basically anywhere without having to remove any rides.

It would be cool if Cedar Point replaced Corkscrew with a Premier launched coaster similar to Sky Rocket at Kennywood that also corkscrewed over the midway. Would be a nice way to modernize and still keep kid friendly.

Wait, so they should replace a ride with a 48 inch height requirement that takes up no room for 2 rides with 52 to 54 inch height requirements that they could easily fit elsewhere to keep it "kid friendly". Also, what part of a 62 MPH 150 foot tall launched coaster that goes upside-down is "kid friendly"? I'm confused.

Edited by coasterbill

Doesn't Sky Rocket (and all its derivatives) have a 54" height requirement? That wouldn't really be all that kid-friendly at all. :/

Doesn't Sky Rocket (and all its derivatives) have a 54" height requirement? That wouldn't really be all that kid-friendly at all. :/

Oh I guess you're right! It has a 52" height requirement.

Then I would change it to a small kid-friendly Premier launched coaster with a 48" height requirement that had a similar footprint and corkscrewed over the midway. haha

Edited by Ian_D

I'd be more worried about capacity. How many trains does Sky Rocket run and are the ops at Kennywood anything comparable to Cedar Point? Could Cedar Point's ops even realistically maximize a large enough capacity for itself with a Sky Rocket?

its a much more comfortable ride now, to the point where it's almost fun. But one way or another, its still a piece of turd, because you can't fix or paint a piece of turd. It's just not a thrilling coaster - that's what I'm implying.

I've never ridden it in any of its versions, but it seems like it has a fun enough layout to me.

If the new trains really do make a big difference for the ride's overall comfort and enjoyment, then maybe that would be a good way to update Corkscrew.

Yeah, that's probably a really good starting point.

Ninja to Blue Hawk is like Night and Day. I disagree with whoever said that it is a boring ride because it isn't. It is a custom looper with 5 inversions over the water. It still has it's shuffles, but with the new vest restraints, the shuffles don't bruise the sides of your head. You can also see better without the OTSR's. It still isn't a great ride, but it is SO much better than it was and it is actually rideable and re-rideable again.