TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That's about as good as it gets at an amusement park.

Well... for many coaster and CP fans, sure.

And I'm sure it's heaven! But for me, a higher heaven is riding a Schwarzkopf coaster a bunch of times. Or the Conneaut Blue Streak. Or Legend/Voyage at Holiday World. Or Kennywood Thunderbolt or Phantom. As good as it gets is all relative to what we like most.

To be honest, as much as I *LOVE* Maverick and TTD, I would probably ride Magnum more given the chance. After a few rides on Mav and TTD anyway.

Edited by JT325

^^ We (Bert and myself) got ourselves set up with Fast Pass PLUS tickets, for the Saturday after Coastermania! day,

the Friday. Neither of us has been to CP, so we just decided to do it, buy the Plus Pass and we'd be set for the entire day.

And doing the BBQ & Brew that evening, too!

(And most likely, that Market Buffet for lunch.)

^ Cool. We also got one of the Dining Day passes for our final day, Monday,

at the park. Turning it (sort of) into our "All Day Snacking Pass", lol.

even the crappy food!

LOL

yeah, I'm ok with splurging. .this is the first Fast Pass/Fast Lane/Qbot thing I've ever gotten at a park, since typically we do multiple days anyways, and I tend to be 1 and done (especially on things my Hubby can't ride, so I ride once, then we move on).

I expect I still won't be up for multiple-back-to-back things, but multiple re-rides thruout the day? I'm sure I can swing that!

(hey. . I'm old).

but since it's the first time I've ever used this kind of pass, I'm hoping it will be easy to figure out!

and we'll get at least a ride on most everything on Coastermania! day anyways.. plus that amazing sounding boat trip for pics!

That boat trip was a highlight. They took us around a lot of the Lake Erie islands as well as around the peninsula, and it sounds like they're going to be doing the same deal this year. Everyone I talked to enjoyed the boat, and when it gets going, it's fast too!

...I expect I still won't be up for multiple-back-to-back things, but multiple re-rides thruout the day? I'm sure I can swing that!

What??? Not even multiple, back to back.....cocktails????

(By the way, I too, was excited about there being a boat trip along with all the rides!)

...I expect I still won't be up for multiple-back-to-back things, but multiple re-rides thruout the day? I'm sure I can swing that!

THAT I can do

(and I'm sure multiple re-rides. . just likely not back to back on the same ride more than 2 times in a row). . but who knows? maybe I'll be able to! and there's always "Bench, the ride" if I want to sit while you reride!

...but since it's the first time I've ever used this kind of pass, I'm hoping it will be easy to figure out! and we'll get at least a ride on most everything on Coastermania! day anyways.. plus that amazing sounding boat trip for pics!

It's super easy to figure out and much different from the Six Flags QBot system. With Fast Lane at CF parks you get a wristband instead of a little computer on a carabiner to clip to your pants. Unlike the Six Flags version, with Fast Lane there is no way to tell how long the waits for any given ride will be. You just have to show up and ask the attendant at the Fast Lane entrance. Usually the lines will be 30 mins or less. One time we waited 45 minutes for Maverick and that was when the FL+ line was all the way back to the Fast Lane entrance. Often times it's a 10 minute wait or you pretty much walk right on the ride.

The FL entrance is sometimes in a completely different area than the regular line entrance for rides, such as with Maverick. At other rides (Millennium Force, Valravn, Gatekeeper, for example) you go to the normal ride entrance area and they have you walk thru a special queue for FL only. It's very hard to screw up and everyone at CP is extremely nice. There were several times we weren't sure where FL entrances were and employees were more than happy to explain in great detail where to find them and in some cases show us. Rest assured, it's very easy. HTH!

I went to Cedar Point for the first time last year and splurging on the Fast Lane pass was indeed worth every penny. I actually showed up the night before after Indiana Beach turned out to be a bust and was able to ride about 8 or so rides before the park closed using my season pass. On the day I had the Fast Pass, the place wasn't that busy, and I could have probably covered everything at least once without it (except Valravn — which had hella lines because it had just opened), but still it was absolutely worth it. I rode everything I wanted to ride multiple times and was able to leave in time to drive down to Kings Island for night rides on The Beast. If you're not a CP regular, I'd definitely recommend the pass.

Has anyone else heard the name STAMPEDE lately? That would be a good name!

Maybe it will be 3 coasters. Kinda like Hersheypark is doing with their new shot/drop towers.

I know I know... why stop at 3?!

^

I'm starting to like this Nina Kleppe button. Does she still hang around enthusiast circles?

^I hope they go that way. Six Flags turned 2 coasters (Colossus) into one (Twisted Colossus). And have built many half or 2/3rd coasters lately... Goliath at Great America, Full Throttle, Iron Rattler. Whatever they do at CP, I'm sure it will be a step above.

And have built many half or 2/3rd coasters lately... Goliath at Great America, YOLOcoaster, Iron Rattler.

I've gotta agree with this person. It's totally the worst part of each of those rides when they end 2/3rds of the way through and spit you out onto the ground below.

Who even thought that would be a good idea?

And have built many half or 2/3rd coasters lately... Goliath at Great America, YOLOcoaster, Iron Rattler.

I've gotta agree with this person. It's totally the worst part of each of those rides when they end 2/3rds of the way through and spit you out onto the ground below.

Who even thought that would be a good idea?

You're funny.

There's a filter on this website that replaces a word with the bunnies comment. That word is what describes one of those storage contraptions you had in high school. Maybe you got stuffed into one. The president made some comments that many disliked and mentioned being embarrassed about his [word]room talk at the next debate.

You mean l----o----c----k----e----r? Very odd to use locker as a replacement.

Ditto to Full Throttle in lieu of F----u----l----l T----h----r----o----t----t----l----e (or perhaps Full Throttel?).

There's a filter on this website that replaces a word with the bunnies comment. That word is what describes one of those storage contraptions you had in high school. Maybe you got stuffed into one. The president made some comments that many disliked and mentioned being embarrassed about his [word]room talk at the next debate.

You mean l----o----c----k----e----r? Very odd to use fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo as a replacement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(literary_device)

It's up to you to determine how closely linked that is to humor.

(By the way, I too, was excited about there being a boat trip along with all the rides!)

If Michael and I head to Camper Village...erp, I mean...Lighthouse Point, there will be more than just ONE cocktail at the motor home. Cocktail hour implies at least one hour of cocktails...or sometimes two or three!

My inaugural Cedar Point trip is coming up in a little over a month! Couple of questions for CP regulars:

1) I'll be in Sandusky around 1 pm the first day of my trip, not doing CP until the next two days after that. Anything else worth checking out in the area? Not really looking for anything I have to spend much money on but do want to sight see (if there's anything worth seeing). I'll have a rental car so don't mind driving a bit.

2) Any good bars/restaurants around CP (outside the park)? I don't plan on eating dinner in the parks while I'm there. Going by myself so just looking for casual places I can go sit at a bar, grab a couple of drinks and food at.

3) I'll have the 1hr early entry both days. What ride(s) should I hit up during that time? No clue what gets the busiest there.

4) Go to lunch/snack places inside the park?

Pretty psyched about the trip. Can't wait to finally check out CP!

My inaugural Cedar Point trip is coming up in a little over a month! Couple of questions for CP regulars:

1) I'll be in Sandusky around 1 pm the first day of my trip, not doing CP until the next two days after that. Anything else worth checking out in the area? Not really looking for anything I have to spend much money on but do want to sight see (if there's anything worth seeing). I'll have a rental car so don't mind driving a bit.

2) Any good bars/restaurants around CP (outside the park)? I don't plan on eating dinner in the parks while I'm there. Going by myself so just looking for casual places I can go sit at a bar, grab a couple of drinks and food at.

3) I'll have the 1hr early entry both days. What ride(s) should I hit up during that time? No clue what gets the busiest there.

Pretty psyched about the trip. Can't wait to finally check out CP!

1 - https://www.putinbay.com/ I can't really think of anything else. If they ferry rides line up, definitely go out to this little island.

2 - Thirsty Pony is classic bar food that won't let you down.

DeMore's Offshore Bar http://www.demoresbarandgrill.com/demore-s-offshore-bar---grill.html - It might look a little run down, but it's a great local spot that has a solid selection of craft beer and fresh seafood.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nachos-sandusky?osq=Mexican+Food Reliable Mexi-Americano food. Nothing really authentic, but it's delicious Mexican.

3 - Maverick because of the low capacity. Then MF. That's the advice you'll get from literally everyone.

4 - I always step outside for Dave's BBQ, so I can't comment on in park eats.

Read boldikus' Pilgrimage to CP report. It'll help get you even more ready for the trip and give you some tips.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1591375

I think taking a ride over to the Marblehead lighthouse and Port Clinton area isn't a bad idea. Could also take a ferry to Put-In-Bay (SEE NEXT POST)

Yelp tells me there's a place called Volstead now in downtown that's ostensibly a speakeasy, so that automatically is the most interesting bar in Sandusky not at the park. I'd also throw out that if you went to Put-In-Bay, drinking is kinda *the thing to do*. One of, if not the, longest bars in the world is there.

Do two different patters for both days. Not much is open by Maverick for early entry typically, so spend one day with that and Millennium Force in mind. The other day should be the stuff closer to the front like Gatekeeper and Valravn.

If open, the breadsticks by the mill on the Frontier Trail are generally pretty good and a solid value. Same with the provolone sticks at Dragons Den or whatever its called between Rougarou and Iron Dragon. Cheese on a stick and the fresh cut fries generally get good reviews.

^ I completely agree with this Early Entry suggestion. Strategically you should (I guess) go to Maverick and then Millennium Force but by our second day at the park we usually just give up on strategy and spend most of early entry marathoning Gatekeeper. Is it a good strategy? No. Do I care? No. I honestly really miss Raptor being on early entry also. It's a great Early Entry ride since the line doesn't build up at all until 10:00 when it gets it's customary 90 to 120 minute wait almost immediately.

I think the best thing to do on your second day is to enter the Marina gate right at park open and go to Valravn. We did that a few times and got on the first train of the day both times. After Valravn, just do whatever...

Also, as far as food goes. Exit the Marina gate, get a hand stamp and go to Famous Dave's. Sure it's outside the park but it's only a 2 minute walk from the gate so there's no time investment. Ask for a table outside. You're welcome.