TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Speaking of doing the park in one day, how are the crowds on weekdays in early June? I'll be there on Wednesday, June 7th for the first time ever. I'm staying at their Express hotel so I'll definitely be taking advantage of that extra hour I get with early entry, but do you guys think I'll need Fast Lane to get everything done? The park is open until 8:00 pm that day, I believe.

Fastlane probably won't be needed but seeing as you will only be there for a day, it would probably be a good idea.

During extra hour hit up Maverick and Millennium Force as much as you can, hit dragster at 10a, then do everything in the back of the park. After 3p head to the front for little to no waits. If you follow that plan you shouldn't need fast lane but that's just my opinion.

The key is to NOT do gatekeeper, raptor, Valravn (you'll probably have to wait no matter what) in the morning as that is where everyone goes. If the park is only open to 8p they are expecting lighter crowds.

and get to the parK right at 10

And don't forget the fine point of being IN the park by 10am. If you can arrive "at the Point" by 9 or 9:30 that is good!

True, and actually while I'm thinking of it when you get to the parking booths, go all the way to the left and tell them you're going to the Cedar Point Shores lot. Park back there, use the resort gate by Magnum and go to Maverick once the park opens. Mjollner, on the way to Maverick, stop in a store and grab your Fastlane and if you hit Maverick early the Fastlane line should be nonexistent and they'll dump you right in the station. ZeroG001, ignore this and just go right to Maverick since you can't use Fastlane for Early Entry anyway. Pick this up once the park actually opens if you feel like you need it. You may not on a weekday. Mjollner will ABSOLUTELY need it.

That makes way more sense than going to the front gate where you'll have a longer line to get in and a much longer walk to your first ride.

^I was going to add the hint of looking for empty seats when your ride is over... but I know CP isn't always OK with re-rides.

The Re-ride skill: some people are good at it; some will never learn - even the hard way; and some have to be trained. Every man, woman and goat for themselves! Every time an empty seat goes out, a kitten dies.

That is one thing that Six Flags is very good about. In fact, they encourage it most of the time.

I have only bought it once on a saturday and it was wonderful. I personally wouldn't buy on an early June Wednesday unless I got there and it was crowded.

It think it depends on how often you go and how close you are to the park. I live right down the street from Universal Orlando and have never bought their Express Pass because I can go whenever I want with no lines.

But if you're going once a year, or very infrequently, I would strongly recommend getting Fast Lane even if the lines are only 20 minutes and that 20 minutes can be turned into 0 minutes. Those pockets of 20 minutes add up quicker than you think and can result in getting more rides in or just having a calmer, less stressful day at the park.

Personally, I would never go to Cedar Point without getting a Fast Lane pass, but I also only go on average once per year.

Robb, is that right down the street or right down the street if you ignore all the streets between you and USO?

(Someone in another thread thought two places in Orlando were right across the street from each other. Robb pointed out that this is true if you ignore the 30 streets that are in fact between the two places.)

I've used that exact same strategy for my longer trips. I don't buy fast passes for my home parks because I'll visit every year, often more than once (and I've been many times), but if I'm driving hours and getting a hotel room, it's enough of a special occasion that I feel that some kind of fast pass is necessary. My last trip was to Carowinds, and being able to hop on Fury 325 as often as I wanted was great. You'll feel the same about Millennium, Maverick, or whatever else you end up loving at Cedar Point.

I would strongly recommend getting Fast Lane even if the lines are only 20 minutes and that 20 minutes can be turned into 0 minutes. Those pockets of 20 minutes add up quicker than you think and can result in getting more rides in or just having a calmer, less stressful day at the park.

Personally, I would never go to Cedar Point without getting a Fast Lane pass, but I also only go on average once per year.

Robb said it best. Also, even on a slow day Maverick is still going to have a 30 minute wait.

even on a slow day Maverick is still going to have a 30 minute wait.

This is true. Except for that day I went last August when Maverick was sending partially empty trains all day. I couldn't believe it. Best day I've ever had at CP.

And don't forget the fine point of being IN the park by 10am. If you can arrive "at the Point" by 9 or 9:30 that is good!

True, and actually while I'm thinking of it when you get to the parking booths, go all the way to the left and tell them you're going to the Cedar Point Shores lot. Park back there, use the resort gate by Magnum and go to Maverick once the park opens. Mjollner, on the way to Maverick, stop in a store and grab your Fastlane and if you hit Maverick early the Fastlane line should be nonexistent and they'll dump you right in the station. ZeroG001, ignore this and just go right to Maverick since you can't use Fastlane for Early Entry anyway. Pick this up once the park actually opens if you feel like you need it. You may not on a weekday. Mjollner will ABSOLUTELY need it.

That makes way more sense than going to the front gate where you'll have a longer line to get in and a much longer walk to your first ride.

Ok, so I'm heading up to CP Friday May 18th and want to use your suggestion on parking in the back. With Grand Prix raceway gone and Portside Plunge replacing it, do we know if the resort gate is in the same place? I can't really tell from the Magnum webcam, but it looks like they have changed that whole area around much like they did with Valravn and the Marina gate.

Also, when looking at the CP website, the 2017 Cedar Point Shores map has what appears to be a KMG Speed ride just to the left of Magnum's drop...was this an older ride that has just not been removed from the map? I don't recall seeing this ride at CP in the past.

Robb, is that right down the street or right down the street if you ignore all the streets between you and USO?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'll just go ahead and give you a 1-week ban from the page. Please try to be less of an obnoxious asshole when you come back. Thanks.

Edited by robbalvey

I have only bought it once on a saturday and it was wonderful. I personally wouldn't buy on an early June Wednesday unless I got there and it was crowded.

It think it depends on how often you go and how close you are to the park. I live right down the street from Universal Orlando and have never bought their Express Pass because I can go whenever I want with no lines.

But if you're going once a year, or very infrequently, I would strongly recommend getting Fast Lane even if the lines are only 20 minutes and that 20 minutes can be turned into 0 minutes. Those pockets of 20 minutes add up quicker than you think and can result in getting more rides in or just having a calmer, less stressful day at the park.

Exactly, this is what I just did at BGT. The lines weren't incredibly long, but quick queue unlimited was only $40. With only going to BGT once every 3 or 4 years, this was a no brainer. It turned all the 15 minute waits in to 0, and the 45 on cheetah to 10. It not only let me get on everything I wanted to (multiple times), but gave me ample time to explore everything the park has to offer too.

Ok, so I'm heading up to CP Friday May 18th and want to use your suggestion on parking in the back. With Grand Prix raceway gone and Portside Plunge replacing it, do we know if the resort gate is in the same place? I can't really tell from the Magnum webcam, but it looks like they have changed that whole area around much like they did with Valravn and the Marina gate.

Also, when looking at the CP website, the 2017 Cedar Point Shores map has what appears to be a KMG Speed ride just to the left of Magnum's drop...was this an older ride that has just not been removed from the map? I don't recall seeing this ride at CP in the past.

Yes it's in the same general vicinity. It may have moved a couple of feet, and you no longer go through the tunnel, but it will be the same location right by Magnum.

I'm assuming the KMG Speed ride is Skyscraper which was in challenge park, and yes it has been removed. I think it was removed in 2014 or so.

There's a new resort gate, but for all intents and purposes it's in the same place. They removed the bridge, replaced it with a crosswalk and pushed the gate back to where the Magnum photo both is just a little further down the path. I'd imagine that from the lot, you'll now have to access the gate by walking on the sidewalk along Perimeter Rd. Previously you could have either done that or walked through Challenge Park but obviously the latter is no longer an option.

Edit: ^ Beat me to it

You're right I guess it is just however you perceive it. I have been to Cedar Point a lot given i'm only 4 hours away. much less lately since kids. I am close enough for me to not worry about weekday lines too much i can always get back up there.

Now that I think about it a little more... it's worth mentioning again how important it is to get there early. If you can, I would say get parked by 9am. You have a little time to drive around Perimeter Road and take in all those incredible coaster views. It's not a big deal to me, I lived there for 3 summers and have been many times since. But for a first and one day trip, you gotta maximize your goodness.

That first hour rides are open is very valuable coaster time.

Uh oh! It's the Fast Lane discussion again! This is my cue to...

giphy.gif.df29de25c9f192a1035d00ee8580e560.gif

(Of course, if you're only going to CP once a year, and you're going anytime between Mid-June and Late August, and want to ride EVERYTHING, I suppose it really does become a "must-have", unfortunately...)

We call this hour Maverick time. You ride Maverick as many times as you can in the first 55 minutes, walk over to Dragster, and get a ride on it right as the park opens. That's about as good as it gets at an amusement park.

We call this hour Maverick time. You ride Maverick as many times as you can in the first 55 minutes, walk over to Dragster, and get a ride on it right as the park opens. That's about as good as it gets at an amusement park.

Last time I was at the Point, I got rides on GateKeeper, Millennium Force, and Maverick all before 10am and then went to Dragster (with a soft drink break in between)