TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The Mean Streak structure is very wide, between 4 and 6 bents thick in places. There is plenty of space to do whatever they would like to do. There's enough space for, like, four coasters in the existing structure. Only time will tell what they have planned out, but there is plenty of structure and space to do whatever they want in there.

With the second hill, we have already seen a very good example of track traversing over bents and ledgers in any direction they want it to. Just my 2 cents.

There's a filter on this website that replaces a word with the bunnies comment. That word is what describes one of those storage contraptions you had in high school. Maybe you got stuffed into one. The president made some comments that many disliked and mentioned being embarrassed about his [word]room talk at the next debate.

What exactly is this "fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo" thing?

There was a time when far too many conversations on this forum were people complaining about parks' policies as far as storing items instead of being able to bring them on rides. After it got a bit tiresome, the word filter was put in place to discourage the same complaints and arguments, or at least make them a bit more amusing.

Hello,

I'm a musician/ rollercoaster nerd based out of Sweden and...

My band is doing a first tour of the states in late April till May 22nd. Originally our first off-day was in Tampa, with the venue being only 15 minutes by cab from BG. Having been there once before, I was gonna drag my bass-player along and go re-ride all the goodies.

Easy and awesome!

Well, that off-day has been moved to Jacksonville, which screwed my plan over... but then it turned out our last off-day is May 20th in Columbus...

" Cedar Point" I thought to myself while my proverbial Donkey got moist with anticipation.

It turns out however, that while driving there is 2 and a half hours... There's no straight train connection ( that I could find) and it would take at least 5-6 hours to get there...

Undoable.

My question is:

Can you do Cedar Point in 1 day?

How are the crowds on a weekend in May?

Would it be worth renting a car?

Driving 5 hours forwards and back in one day?

The date is very specifically Saturday the 20th of May.

I'm only interested in the BIG rollercoasters. While it would be nice to ride Corkscrew and everything else... I'd rather do two laps on Maverick or MF than squeeze in Blue Streak just to have all credits.

Essentially:

Too much money and effort for too little time to ride too few of the too many amazingly beautiful coasters? Or doable and worth it?

My proverbial Donkey and me appreciate your answers.

Doing Cedar Point in a day can be done, but unless you catch a very quiet day, you're going to want a Fast Lane pass. Even in May, a weekend isn't likely to be quiet there. Not as bad as later in the summer, but still going to want that Fast Lane.

Renting a car isn't a bad idea; if you book it ahead of time, and just need a small, basic car for one day, it won't cost much at all. You can get a cheap economy car for $30 a day or so with fees. The drive to CP from Columbus is...interesting. Last time I did it, I got stuck on a tiny farm road, behind a literal farm tractor, for several long, slow miles. Not too bad, though, for the most part, but I enjoy long drives. Whether or not 5 hours in a day is too much is definitely personal preference. The drive back might worry me if I had to make it alone, late at night, after a long and tiring day though; much easier with friends to help stay awake.

IMO you're missing out if you don't give some of the smaller coasters a chance too, Blue Streak is a great little classic, but...that's your choice! Just as long as you get Maverick.

Even Cedar Point's smaller coasters are quite good.

Blue Streak has some amazing airtime, especially up front, and is a solid 9/10 ride. The others not to miss are the Intamins, the B&Ms, Magnum, and Gemini. Iron Dragon, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Corkscrew, and the kids coasters can be skipped. Wicked Twister is worth it since its the best impulse and it never really has a line.

Hello,

I'm a musician/ rollercoaster nerd based out of Sweden and...

:looks at user name, raises eyebrow:

My question is:

Can you do Cedar Point in 1 day?

If you are willing to part with the money for an express pass, yes. If not? Expect to spend a lot of time on your feet.

How are the crowds on a weekend in May?

Big on a Saturday, not as awful on Sunday.

you sure you're off on the 20th?

Would it be worth renting a car?

Really the only way to go. Consider looking at neighborhood rental locations. Enterprise has a huge number and Hertz has added a few of their own in recent years.

Driving 5 hours forwards and back in one day?

If you're driving from Columbus, you've got a 2 1/2 hour ride each way, and that's less than when I've made single day voyages out there. You aren't gonna be feeling great when its over, but you'll do fine. Just stop and grab some caffeine in Mansfield.

Essentially:

Too much money and effort for too little time to ride too few of the too many amazingly beautiful coasters? Or doable and worth it?

The rental car and gas is probably gonna run you about $60-70 for a single day. Express passes, parking, and tickets to get in will be like 2-3 times that. But if you have the day off, I'll say this: airfare from Gothenburg or Stockholm isn't gonna be cheap to Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Detroit until Norwegian Air or Wow starts service, and they're in no rush for that.

A day trip from Columbus to Cedar Point is very doable and since it doesn't seem like an opportunity that comes up very often I highly recommend it. Rent a car and get Fastlane plus. It'll be crowded but you'll probably be able to ride every coaster in one day if you do that along with the major flat rides.

Basically all you need to do is hit Maverick first, then hit Dragster (on Dragster, wait for the front but go to the back station to do it... seriously, it's worth the wait), then hit Millennium Force. Once you ride those three you'll be able to get on every other coaster in 15 minutes or less with Fastlane. Rides like Magnum and Rougarou will be on the higher end of that but with most of them you end up pretty much right on the station stairs or in the station itself (with Gemini for example you'll be on in like 30 seconds with Fastlane). If you want to knock out Mine Ride (because it's not on Fastlane) and Magnum on the way to Dragster then go for it. Skip Gemini in the morning if it's not racing. Mine Ride is the most skippable coaster in the park (since Corkscrew is on Fastlane) but if you go to Maverick first and hit that next it'll be a walk on anyway so just ride it.

If you follow that general plan then you'll have no problem riding every coaster with plenty of time left for re-rides on your favorites.

A few random tips (keeping in mind that you're in a hurry)...

- Iron Dragon isn't on Fastlane but even if the queue is spilling out the entrance the wait won't exceed 20 minutes. It's worth riding though, it's a fun little ride. There's no strategic time to hit this, it'll always have a nearly full queue on the weekends (because unlike Mine Ride, it doesn't suck), but as I mentioned a full queue really isn't that bad.

- Since you're in such a hurry, the only coaster where I think it's worth it to make a major time investment to wait for a specific seat (now that Mean Streak is gone) is Dragster where you should ABSOLUTELY wait for row 1. That being said, I would suggest waiting for the front on Gatekeeper, Raptor and Valravn (if they honor requests) since doing so will cost you an extra 5 minutes tops. On Gemini and Blue Streak, don't sit in a wheel seat and sit near the middle of the train on Gemini on the inside so you can slap hands with the other train. If you have time and you've ridden everything, wait for the front on Millennium Force.

- Since this always has to be said, tighten the seatbelt as much as possible on Magnum to avoid slamming into the lap bar

- You'll be on Power Tower, Gemini and Skyhawk immediately with Fastlane. They may not be high on your list of priorities, but you may want to ride them anyway just because they require zero time investment. Seriously... none.

Oh, and I'm contractually obligated to tell you to ride the Sky Ride. (A full queue is only like 10 minutes.)

Edited by coasterbill

- Since this always has to be said, tighten the seatbelt as much as possible on Magnum to avoid slamming into the lap bar

Amen to this. Without this trick, Magnum would be as painful as child birth.

One thing to add on Iron Dragon is that last year they started experimenting with VR on it. Not sure if they are still doing VR, but if they are, it may be by reservation only.

Or you know, you could just work out and build up your quads.

Working out is not typically something coaster enthusiasts do...

I didn't do the seatbelt trick on Magnum any of the times I rode it. It was definitely jarring and sometimes a little painful, but not as bad as people say. It's one of my favorite steel coasters partly because of the aggressiveness of it. But it's probably way more comfortable with the trick.

I'm a thin guy, but I have fairly muscular legs, since I play a lot of ice hockey and leg day is 1-2 times a week. But, that doesn't matter. The ride is still uncomfortable. I would think fat would actually be a better cushion against the jarring lap bars.

Speaking of doing the park in one day, how are the crowds on weekdays in early June? I'll be there on Wednesday, June 7th for the first time ever. I'm staying at their Express hotel so I'll definitely be taking advantage of that extra hour I get with early entry, but do you guys think I'll need Fast Lane to get everything done? The park is open until 8:00 pm that day, I believe.