TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Sorry, typo. That's *photos*. And they're literally in the most obvious place an enthusiast might look.

A buffet station?

dead2.gif.2ed11d690d36c3dfcb301396ace70da6.gif

^ and ^^ I love where this is headed.

Hmmm....did you check this or this? That's the only other ones I could think of....

Initially that was kinda funny, as there are plenty of us gays among coaster/park fan circles... but dang, gridr is sleazy no matter how you look at it!

OK, it's still funny

Cedar Point needs to build a great wall around Mean Streak to prevent folks from taking ANY pictures of the ride. The wall would be yuge, and also tremendous.

I really do hope CP screws with picture takers this summer by strategically blocking views of the ride. Like maybe close the CP & LE Railroad for the year, re-route the entrance to Maverick and close the midway used for Tombstone Terror-tory to any public access. You know, just to get under people's skin that are so completely obsessed over being "f!rst!!!" to post pictures of a ride the park politely asked fans not to post pictures of.

Cedar Point needs to build a great wall around Mean Streak to prevent folks from taking ANY pictures of the ride. The wall would be yuge, and also tremendous.

I really do hope CP screws with picture takers this summer by strategically blocking views of the ride. Like maybe close the CP & LE Railroad for the year, re-route the entrance to Maverick and close the midway used for Tombstone Terror-tory to any public access. You know, just to get under people's skin that are so completely obsessed over being "f!rst!!!" to post pictures of a ride the park politely asked fans not to post pictures of.

You really live up to your name.

Hmmm....did you check this or this? That's the only other ones I could think of....

Initially that was kinda funny, as there are plenty of us gays among coaster/park fan circles... but dang, gridr is sleazy no matter how you look at it!

OK, it's still funny

nope you were correct, Grindr is sleazy. . .

I don't begrudge those that use it, but nope, not for me!

Like maybe close the CP & LE Railroad for the year

Close a classic CP ride for an entire season that thousands upon thousands of families enjoy every year all in an utterly vain attempt to thwart a small group of roller coaster nerds from taking spy photos of RMC mean streak and posting them online for their fellow roller coaster nerds?

Edited by Steely Dan

There was a at the end of my post. Perhaps I should have stated that I was "merely acting" (said in my best Jon Lovitz voice)

My gripe is that I don't understand the rush that the "small group of enthusiasts" have in order to get a scoop. I guess being a Bitter Old Hag, I come from an era where we didn't know what was new at the park until we saw it either on the news or actually in person. So while the park, which treats coaster enthusiasts very well with events such as Coaster Campout, Winter Chill Out, etc, has asked to please respect their privacy and not post any pics of Mean Streak online, there are those that brazenly flaut the rules and go against the parks wishes, just to grab some attention on their website that gets nowhere near the hits that TPR gets.

Done venting... now get off my lawn (shakes fist at sky).

^ I get your point but I haven't actually seen CP say, publicly, that they don't want any photos posted online... and in fact they didn't seem to have a problem with photos being taken (for the most part) at the enthusiast event. I am in no way suportive of trespassing and I totally respect that Robb has asked for photos to not be posted on TPR. But a site like reddit is not exactly a place where you can email a single point of contact and tell them to block certain content, and the pics I've seen have been taken with a zoom from perfectly legal places, so it's one of those things that just sort of is what it is - and I can't see why the park would spend too much time worrying about that. Coasters are built in plain public view all the time and people post photos of them all the time, this isn't really that different.

While I understand TPR's position on this and I completely respect it, I also completely understand why other people would have a different position. Taking pictures from the perimeter road when the park is closed is bad. People shouldn't do that, but if you have a website and feel like going to Battery Park (a public park) and taking pictures from that public park then it's hard to get that upset by it and the park had to know that was going to happen.

I understand TPR's rules and I respect TPR's rules but I won't get mad if someone else makes the decision to take and post pictures elsewhere that they shot from a public park.

The park can restrict photography on park grounds, but if you're not on their property, they can't do anything about it aside from making it hard to take photos (surrounding it with a wall, for instance). This is different from the total ban on unauthorized photos on this website, which is Robb Alvey's decision to comply with corporate wishes to maintain a good relationship with them (totally reasonable).

There was a at the end of my post. Perhaps I should have stated that I was "merely acting" (said in my best Jon Lovitz voice)

My gripe is that I don't understand the rush that the "small group of enthusiasts" have in order to get a scoop. I guess being a Bitter Old Hag, I come from an era where we didn't know what was new at the park until we saw it either on the news or actually in person. So while the park, which treats coaster enthusiasts very well with events such as Coaster Campout, Winter Chill Out, etc, has asked to please respect their privacy and not post any pics of Mean Streak online, there are those that brazenly flaut the rules and go against the parks wishes, just to grab some attention on their website that gets nowhere near the hits that TPR gets.

Done venting... now get off my lawn (shakes fist at sky).

Times unfortunately have changed. We live in a time with information is literally instantaneous. I've become inpatient myself. If I want to know the weather for this weekend I no longer have to wait for the paper to get delivered. I can look it up right from my phone. If a marker is seen inside of a park, we as coaster enthusiasts, want to know immediately if the park if building that much rumored Giga Coaster.

I remember back in the day waiting to watch the Six o'clock news to find out what the latest coaster at Magic Mountain was going to be. Now a days I just log onto the interwebs and you guys tell me.

I thought I saw Robb say as long as they were taken with the parks permission they were alright

They are if the park gives specific permission, but these photos don't fall into that category. They were legally taken from public property, but they're against the park's wishes so TPR doesn't want them posted here.

^ I get your point but I haven't actually seen CP say, publicly, that they don't want any photos posted online....

Feast your eyes.

The park is officially closed until May. We completely understand the general curiosity of how the park looks in the winter and how things are progressing on the property. But we ask that you do not attempt to visit the park to take photos or walk around. This is for your own safety - and we're closed.

While that doesn't specifically say "we don't want photos posted online", I'd say that's generally what they were getting at.

God, opening day can't come soon enough. This cycle of new posted photo followed by two pages of the photo police telling us why it is/isn't illegal is growing tiresome. That is, assuming once opening day comes, the construction photo ban will be lifted...

As for my actual contribution to the thread, that new hill looks bonkers. It appears to be close to the same height as the original third hill, based on the old wood that is still intact. It's evident that RMCs lose their speed faster than the original wooden ride, but they added a TON of structure to the second hill, so I'm thinking that there is going to be some extreme airtime on this third hill. Can't wait.

RMC is gonna pull out all their tricks on this ride. I have this feeling that it'll be their Magnum Opus.

Edited by southpuddle

While I understand TPR's position on this and I completely respect it, I also completely understand why other people would have a different position. Taking pictures from the perimeter road when the park is closed is bad. People shouldn't do that, but if you have a website and feel like going to Battery Park (a public park) and taking pictures from that public park then it's hard to get that upset by it and the park had to know that was going to happen.

I understand TPR's rules and I respect TPR's rules but I won't get mad if someone else makes the decision to take and post pictures elsewhere that they shot from a public park.

This is a really good point. I really don't understand why the Battery park pictures are not allowed since they are not on park property. I understand with the decision but it just doesn't seem right.

Edited by drummermattk