TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wildcat was in my top 10 (#9) up until it closed. I only allow operating coasters in my top 10. So I dropped it down to #20 along with Big Dipper from GL. I was so sad when they removed Wildcat from the park. I liked it better than any other coaster in the park. And I'm a grown man with El Toro and Phoenix on the top of my list. I only ever rode Wildcat once (2009), but it really surprised me how much fun it was.

FYI, Wicked Twister is my 2nd favorite coaster at CP.

I hope to get back to CP this year, I really want to see if the different restraints on Maverick can bump it up from #18 on my list to a top 10.

Back in 2009 I had 2 days at the park, but heavy lightning storms kept the rides shut most of the day (both days). So I was scrambling to get from ride to ride while they were open.

Wildcat wasn't the best at CP, but it was better than, say, Corkscrew or Disaster Transport. Maverick's different restraints improved the ride for me. It moved from the lower part of my top ten all the way to #3 after riding it last season

Its been nine years since I rode Diaster Transport, but it was only two days ago that I rode La Vibora at SFOT. La Vibora was super fun and placed just behind NTAG as my favorite coaster at the park. My favorite thing about the ride were the twisties (that produced an action reminiscent to the swinging of suspended coasters during transitions). I thought the ride made the park really well rounded because it provided snappy transitions that enthusiasts love and was great for families (mine included enjoyed it)

I really like the feel of bobsled coasters' transitions and arrow suspended coasters' swinging, even more than Maverick's, i305's, El Toro's, etc. twisties. I think if Diaster Transport were still around today, I would really enjoy it.

When I was in Ocean City, Maryland, we diverted our path to a park that had a Wildcat that happened to previously be at Cedar Point.

That was the original CP Wildcat from 1970 that stood close to where Windseeker is today. It was removed after the 1978 season and shipped off to Valleyfair (and eventually to Ocean City) and CP received a new identical model Wildcat that was erected near the former Jumbo Jet site (which was also removed after the 1978 season and sent to a park in Maine, and eventually to Europe). That Wildcat remained there until the 1984 season when it was moved over by the current Valravn site to make way for Avalanche Run.

Does anyone know the story behind why both CP Shwarzkopf coasters were removed after the 1978 season and why an identical Wildcat model was built to replace the one that was sent to Valleyfair? It seems to me that it would have been easier to just leave well enough alone with the original Wildcat at CP and send the new one directly to Valleyfair.

Edited by Steely Dan

When I was in Ocean City, Maryland, we diverted our path to a park that had a Wildcat that happened to previously be at Cedar Point.

That was the original CP Wildcat from 1970 that stood close to where Windseeker is today. It was removed after the 1978 season and shipped off to Valleyfair (and eventually to Ocean City) and CP received a new identical model Wildcat that was erected near the former Jumbo Jet site (which was also removed after the 1978 season and sent to a park in Maine, and eventually to Europe). That wild cat remained there until the 1984 season when it was moved over by the current Valravn site to make way for Avalanche Run.

Does anyone know the story behind why both CP Shwarzkopf coasters were removed after the 1978 season and why an identical Wildcat model was built to replace the one that was sent to Valleyfair? It seems to me that it would have been easier to just leave well enough alone wit the original Wildcat at CP and send the new one directly to Valleyfair.

If I had to make a guess, the park was still in a state of transition away from having any independent vendors operating on-site, and the Wildcat that was removed and replaced with an identical ride was done because it wasn't owned by Cedar Point and they wanted their own such attraction.

Since some of us were mentioning Wildcat...

I *LOVED* Wildcat. There was something simple and very roller-coaster-like about those models, and that is a common feel with Schwarzkopf coasters.

A friend and I visited the park in 2011, it was her first time to CP. She had got bitten by the coaster bug during Holiwood Nights that year and couldn't wait to get to the Coaster Capital of the World, Cedar Point. I explained to her that although very nice and fun, very well-run, etc., that none of the coasters at CP may match the intensity level of the coasters she loved so much at HW, but to keep an open mind.

As we made our way counter-clockwise around CP, the look on her face was priceless. It was a combo look of emptiness and dismay. She kept saying "where are the good coasters!??" Mean Streak was next, she exclaimed "well that one looks good." Oh boy... We finally made it to Wildcat. One spin, then another. We had season passes, so on our couple trips through Ohio to the Pennsylvania parks (which she LOVED, as do I, minus Dorney ), we would always stop at CP on the way from and back home to Chicago.

She kept thinking about it... and finalized that Wildcat was her favorite ride at CP. I kinda agreed with her. I explained that Blue Streak used to be an excellent, classic roller coaster experienced, but most of that was stomped out in the 90s with seat dividers and ratcheting lap bars (although still very popular per CP fanboys, I say with 100% certainty it's a totally different experience now).

Her nickname for Cedar Point was "what's the Point!?" We still had fun, don't get me wrong.

I too was very upset at Wildcat leaving. Sure, it may have run it's course... but let us remember that Gerstlauer works out of the former Schwarzkopf facility and has access to all plans. They are fully capable of manufacturing a brand new Wildcat model, same profile/layout/seat and car design, but with a modern system, mag brakes, modern lift, etc. etc. It would be beautiful! Oh yeah, a cool new led lighting package too! Capacity could still be an issue, it's a low-throughput ride for a park like CP. It would still be worth it.

What really made me sick, when Wildcat was being taken out, some of the CP fanboy types saying stupid stuff like "it's a lame carnival ride anyway..." Uck! So you would rather have massive B&M machines that look great but all feel almost exactly the same? Nah, I want variety. Hoity-toity a-holes.

CP claims to be the coaster capital (a title they nabbed from Kennywood years ago, ok ok all is fair..), but it would be nice to have a collection of one of everything. A classic wood coaster (yes, Blue Streak can be restored to classic seating), a Schwarzkopf coaster, etc. They certainly have the resources. It would be nice bragging material, too!

^ Interesting theory. I was under the impression that independent vendors were out of the picture by the '70s and that the park had moved exclusively to a POP model, but I'm certainly no expert on CP history.

I don't know for certain, but it would be my best guess since it is somewhat positioned close to when vendors were still in the park operating and would be a rational reason why they would replace an operable attraction with an identical operable attraction.

So you would rather have massive B&M machines that look great but all feel almost exactly the same? Nah, I want variety.

There seems to be two red coasters that start with the letter "M" that you seemed to forget!

What? Can someone explain how coasters' names starting with the same letter means the ride experience is the same?

So you would rather have massive B&M machines that look great but all feel almost exactly the same? Nah, I want variety.

There seems to be two red coasters that start with the letter "M" that you seemed to forget!

What? Can someone explain how coasters' names starting with the same letter means the ride experience is the same?

I think he is hinting at Maverick? Maverick being an Intamin creation and not B&M?

Sure thing! I love Maverick, now that it has soft restraints. I also love Magnum - which is my favorite ride in the park currently. My all-time favorite at the park was the classic Blue Streak I rode (and worked on for 2 years) up til the mid-90s, before the changes. I also have a very soft spot for Wildcat!

She kept thinking about it... and finalized that Wildcat was her favorite ride at CP. I kinda agreed with her.

Wow, now there's an unconventional opinion.

I loved Wildcat's zippy little ride, it was truly an unsung hero among CP's legendary giants.

but to say that it was CP's best coaster? That's definitely a path I won't follow you down.

CP claims to be the coaster capital (a title they nabbed from Kennywood years ago, ok ok all is fair..), but it would be nice to have a collection of one of everything. A classic wood coaster (yes, Blue Streak can be restored to classic seating), a Schwarzkopf coaster, etc.

In a better and alternate universe, CP would have held off on building Corkscrew and waited a couple more years to get a looping Shwarzkopf along the lines of SFOG's Mindbender or SFOT's Shockwave.

In a better and alternate universe, CP would have held off on building Corkscrew and waited a couple more years to get a looping Shwarzkopf along the lines of SFOG's Mindbender or SFOT's Shockwave.

Now that would be awesome! It's a shame that the only Schwarzkopf I've been on is SooperDooperLooper, which is a small one, but it's really good for what it is. I should try to get on Wildcat at Ocean City MD soon (which is also a small Schwarzkopf, but there really aren't many around, both in general, but especially nearby.)

CP claims to be the coaster capital (a title they nabbed from Kennywood years ago, ok ok all is fair..), but it would be nice to have a collection of one of everything. A classic wood coaster (yes, Blue Streak can be restored to classic seating), a Schwarzkopf coaster, etc.

It's almost too awesome to imagine! I've always dreamt up what it would be like if some of those parks in the 70s/80s picked Schwarzkopf over Arrow. Just think about a Schwarzkopf Loch Ness Monster, Orient Express, TOC/Demon, etc. It would have taken longer to open them, and been more expensive, but ...

It can still happen, as Corkscrew is going to need a replacement in the next few years. A "retro" design - as if Anton would have built it - by Gerstlauer. More likely, a brand new Corkscrew model, built and designed by MACK. Roughly the same layout, but add a figure-8 at the end. Those beautiful MACK trains and a modern system. The red lights on the Corkscrew supports would be a must!