TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Man. I'm completely skipping over these Magnum personal stories quicker than I skip over posts from Storms.

Hey you know what??? Go f*ck yourself! You dont read my posts fine but why do you need to announce it? Again go f*ck yourself! Im sick of the egotistic people on this site. No what I dont need this sh*t. F*ck this sh*t.

RonB_ThatEscalated.jpg.c18d902bd01923968ff800dcae49f91b.jpg

Ummm, it's a forum.....one that suggests having a sense of humor.....so, maybe lighten up a little? I'm sure there are folks who might not like what I post from time to time, but I take the stance of "who cares??" We're just having some fun here, or at least, we should be. No point in taking things that seriously!

I'm enjoying these Magnum reminiscings. I was a freshman in high school when it debuted and man, did that thing seem tall. I used to absolutely love Magnum, but when I rode near the back last year it had gotten a little too herky jerky for me. I missed the strobe lights in the tunnels, too. I guess they had to remove them cause they might cause seizures in certain people?

I think the first-time Magnum stories are cool myself...let's settle down people. Anyone can choose to read someone's post, skim, or move on to another thread.

My first Magnum experience involved (you guessed it)...drinking.

1989 and we were staying at Camper Village. There was no Soak City, no parking lot...just trees and campground. There was a "trail" to the gate that used to be all wooded, but Magnum just opened that up. I remember us looking at it and thinking to myself - "OMFG - not sure if I am ready for THAT beast!!".

I also remember the picture in the Getaway Guide showing the animated coaster going into space and then down the hill... which built up the anticipation even more because there was no internet, no drones or any bull-shit like that...you didn't know what it looked like until you went there to see for yourself!!

I was 18 at the time and thought drinking was a cool thing to do (who didn't?) and I remember me and my friend splitting a pint of Jim Beam in the woods (where'd the trees go?) and then going into the park on a Starlite pass and getting in line.

The line was close to two hours long and the queue actually went behind the restrooms and down where TTD is now (Troika used to be there) and at times, down to Corkscrews entrance. The line was full of enthusiastic, excited people and despite the seemingly never-ending queue, the line seemed to always be moving so it didn't seem that bad - and dare I say it...even fun? Beach balls were flying around, people were all happy and I think a year or two into it, they then absorbed that vibe and added the DJ booth.

As others have said, Magnum on opening year was like a religious experience. It was the most balls-out insane thing on the face of this of this earth and EVERYONE loved it. The station was like a freaking party and people were hooting, hollering, screaming and crying...it was fucking awesome.

Magnum's line was like that for at least 5-10 years until MF was built. Yeah, Mean Streak, Raptor and Mantis drew away some of that line, but Magnum was (and still is) king among them...it is still my favorite over all of those additions when they came years later.

It wasn't until Maverick and MF that it was de-throned as THE king of CP.

It's been 12 years since I've been to CP so I honestly don't remember much about Magnum. I remember it had one of the shortest waits. I don't remember any roughness. I do remember it being very fun.

Well, I just went through and read the last few pages... Yeah... anyway....

Well... This thread just went from 0-100 faster than Dodonpa....

But the real question is... are Robb's titties jiggling?

"MY TITTIES ARE JIGGLING!!!" still my favorite Robb quote!

I've never been to CP, and have wanted to visit for a while now... reading these first-time Magnum stories makes me REALLY want to go!

i hope to get back to CP soon. no matter what, i'll be there asap when mean streak reopens.

i remember a guy on Magnum at Coastermania like 20 years ago who used a strap to keep the lap bar from falling down. he'd strap from the grab bar to the lap bar.

In regard to the previous pages, remember this site's motto..."We love theme parks and roller coasters...we just have a funny way of showing it!" There's a boatload of variety to this community's members. We're not going to adore everybody's opinions or style, but we all came to enjoy discussing parks and coasters and to be ourselves. Debating topics is one thing, but detouring off-topic to stifle someone else's enjoyment or making us feel like it's not okay to be ourselves just isn't humorous or cool. It's mean-spirited. It might score a few toxic laughs, but that toxicity can stink up the whole joint for everybody in no time.

I'd rather read about different experiences people had on a particular roller coaster (or posts from storms for that matter) than alot of the drivel that trickles through this thread...

Amen!

I've been LOVING all of these "Magnum Memories" posts.

I find them genuinely interesting, as opposed to something like 5 more pages of '17 vs. '18 bickering.

Besides, it's the off season. I seriously doubt any of us nerds have anything better to do with our time than taking a little stroll down memory lane.

But perhaps Magnum nostalgia is now getting played out in this thread for the time being, so lets switch gears to something that I think everybody will enjoy: Disaster Transport virginity loss stories!!!

A Disaster in the Making

It was the winter of '89/'90 and the whole world was waiting with baited breath to see what CP would do as an encore for Magnum. I was 14 years old by that time and now a CP veteran. My getaway guide for the 1990 season arrived sometime in early spring and I flipped open the cover to find the big announcement for the year. They planned to turn Avalanche Run into some kind of space-themed dark ride. uhhh, ok. wait, what? Avalanche Run is lame as hell. WHY?

Thoroughly underwhelmed, I still went back to my parents to plead my case for another summer trip to CP because I desperately needed more Magnum (who doesn't?). They made arrangements for another trip; I was over the moon all over again. We stayed at the breakers again for a two-day stay, and somewhere in the middle of our first day, we made our way down to DT. Anticipation levels were low and for good reason. The line was long, about 90 minutes I think, and as a build up for the ride that followed it, it was a painful 90 minutes. We didn't bother riding it again over the course of that two day trip. And I think I only rode it maybe a small handful of other times on subsequent CP trips.

Disaster Transport was probably the most aptly named amusement park ride in the history of amusement park rides. I mean, they put the word "disaster" right in the name of the damn ride, basically warning you ahead of time that it was gonna suck. And starting from an Intamin bobsled, how could it ever hope to be anything other than mediocre. CP spent $4M (in 1990 dollars, mind you) trying to polish that turd and all they managed to do with that sizable investment was take an existing mediocre ride and make it ever so slightly less mediocre and orders of magnitude more ugly. What the hell were they thinking? Avalanche Run was certainly no great shakes, but I could at least appreciate the absurdity of locating a snow-themed bobsled ride right on a bright and sunny beach. However, with the DT transformation, any small amount of ironic charm that the ride might have previously had was obliterated with big giant beige boxes festooned with cryptic lettering hanging in the sky with tubes protruding out of them here and there. ugly, ugly, ugly.

As for the themed queue, I guess you could say that they tried, but the story line never made much sense to me (Alaska? Why are we going to Alaska? And through space? WTF?) and despite the vast sums spent on the theming, it was still way beyond apparent that you were definitely not at a disney park. The ride was the ride; I guess it was made a little bit cooler being in the dark where the twists and turns were harder to anticipate, but it was still just a lame old Intamin bobsled coaster: way too many MCBRs and way too short. For 4 million dollars they could have knocked-down Avalanche Run and built a medium sized wood coaster like WoF's Timber Wolf which was built the prior season for $3M (I know Timber Wolf is held in very low regard these days, but when it first opened it received A LOT of high praise from the enthusiast community).

To me, the only really surprising thing about DT was that it managed to hang around for as long as it did, though that was probably helped in large part by its former themed queue areas being taken over for halloweekends stuff. Inertia is also a pretty powerful force.

TL;DR: The Disaster Transport transformation has to rank as one of the all-time worst ride investments in CP history.

I will be the counterpoint a bit here.

I don't particularly like Magnum all that much. The trains (for tall people) downright suck, making the already abrupt and jarring airtime more uncomfortable. The lapbar literally lays near my knee caps and I have to do this crazy little shimmy into the trains (I am 6'6"). The views are amazing and the location can't be beat, but I also wouldn't be sad one bit if the park decided to disassemble and replace with a nice B&M in the same footprint

Again, fun ride and I don't really have a problem with it aside from how uncomfortable it can be for me (much like anything with PTC's due to the lapbar). I ride it a few times a season, but usually skip it unless for night rides with no wait. I actually hate the abrupt airtime on this ride, I would take the floaty Millennium Force air any day no question!

In regard to the previous pages, remember this site's motto..."We love theme parks and roller coasters...we just have a funny way of showing it!" There's a boatload of variety to this community's members. We're not going to adore everybody's opinions or style, but we all came to enjoy discussing parks and coasters and to be ourselves. Debating topics is one thing, but detouring off-topic to stifle someone else's enjoyment or making us feel like it's not okay to be ourselves just isn't humorous or cool. It's mean-spirited. It might score a few toxic laughs, but that toxicity can stink up the whole joint for everybody in no time.

This is the best thing I've read on here in quite some time. Thank you!

^ Right there with you man, I totally get why people love magnum but it's never done anything for me, even back to 97 (pre B&M/Intamin hypers changing the game). Not my style of air, don't care for the trains, etc. but it is a gorgeous location for sure.

Hey I liked Disaster Disco. If not much, it was at least something different. Variety is good.

In its last few years, it seemed like DT got its longest lines when the park was packed AND the weather was hot (the queue being air conditioned helped)