TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I rode Magnum in the third row of the first car and slammed multiple times hard into those lapbars every lap. I must have developed Stockholm syndrome, as I loved the ride for being able to do that. I take it this bodes well for me for Skyrush?

Nothing anyone says here will prepare you for what Skyrush is going to do to your body, but if you dig a beating from Magnum (like I do) you're halfway there.

I like the sound of this.

^Heck yeah! I have loved the third seat on Magnum since my first ride on it in 1990. I agree with others, the trains and faults of the ride make it great.

We don't need more same-y B&M stuff (which is fun, but...). Variety is dwindling, and it sucks.

^ Huh. Third row for me on Coaster here, is my absolute fave position, riding it.

So that row on Magnum should be easy, to remember.

No matter what anyone says don't get too excited about anything matching the unrestrained airtime of your hometown Coaster.

Skyrush is the only ride where you feel like you'll be flung out of the seat to your death.

yep. .it tried to kill me.

one and done!

(but I'm excited for several of the coasters at CP)

My go-to seat on Magnum for maximum airtime enjoyment, without pain, is row 1 of the last car. Middle row is good too though, and perhaps a little less "rough". And yes, the frequent lack of any wait for those rows is great, too!

^ Huh. Third row for me on Coaster here, is my absolute fave position, riding it.

So that row on Magnum should be easy, to remember.

That Coaster of yours out there is my #1 "must get to NOW" on my list. The joy of sitting in a plain padded seat, free of annoying seat dividers and pinching ratchet bars... it's heaven to me.

In a way I want to ride in a traditional coaster car with fix laps bars and traditional seats too. You probably bounce around a lot more. However if you have to sit next to a stranger thats going to be awkward since both of you will end rubbing up against each other. eww. Just no! With friends it would be ok though. However having a seat with no dividers to yourself sounds EPIC! I imagine bouncing and flying around during air time sounds like that would be a lot of fun! I have yet to ride a traditional coaster like that but sounds a lot of fun.

All of the recent Magnum talk has me feeling nostalgic.

Maggie & Me, a Love Story

It was a cold Sunday morning in January of 1989. I was a few weeks shy of my 13th birthday. I was reading the Sunday comics section (the one in full color!) of the Chicago Tribune on the floor of our living room when I turned to the back page and saw an advertisement for an amusement park called “Cedar Point” somewhere in Ohio. The ad touted a brand new roller coaster opening up later that spring that was going to break the world records for height and speed. Having had my mind blown the previous summer on (my homepark) SFGAm’s then record breaking Shockwave, my interest was thoroughly piqued.

The newspaper ad contained a mail-in form to send away for a special trip planning brochure full of more info and deals. I eagerly asked my parents if I could send away for the brochure, which they agreed to. I told them that we needed to start planning a trip to Sandusky, Ohio sometime that summer. I said that it could count as my birthday present, that I’d do extra chores around the house, that I'd earn money mowing lawns in the neighborhood, that I'd do WHATEVER it took to ensure that I could get to Ohio that summer to ride the roller coaster that would break the 200’ barrier. My dad replied in that frustratingly parental non-committal tone “we’ll see, son”.

The trip planning guide arrived about a month or so later (ah, the good old days of snail mail). I flipped open the cover and on the 2nd page was a full-page image of this futuristic roller coaster descending to planet earth from outer space. “Announcing the highest, steepest & fastest roller coaster in the universe!” By that point, I was beyond excited. I thumbed through the magazine and in the middle of the guide there was a centerfold map of the entire park. I started drooling as I counted up all of the roller coasters I could find. There were 9 roller coasters! NINE! I had no idea such a roller coaster paradise existed. And the layout of Magnum on the park map was most intriguing, there didn’t appear to be any inversions of any kind. As a child of the arrow multi-looper coaster wars of the ‘80s, this was very perplexing. Exactly what kind of roller coaster was this going to be? So tall, and so fast, but no loops? This was something altogether different.

I showed the guide to my parents and told them about all of the coupons for great deals on admission, the on-site hotel, and other expenditures. I told my parents that we needed to make the trip happen, that I wasn’t going to let it go, that I simply HAD to get to Ohio that summer to ride Magnum. Fortunately, my parents had good friends who lived in the Detroit area who had a son close to my age. They reached out to them and started talking and eventually a plan was hatched that we would travel to Detroit to visit them that coming June and then both of our families would travel down to Cedar Point together for a couple of days, staying at the hotel breakers. It was probably the happiest I had ever been up ‘til that point in my young life.

As we were driving down the causeway, the CP skyline kept getting bigger and bigger, as my anticipation levels skyrocketed to all-time highs. We had to loop the long way around the property because we had to check in to the Breakers first. We got to drive directly underneath Magnum, my face plastered to the window of the back seat of our car as I tried not to miss a single sight of it. Though I tried as hard as I could to exhibit some degree of patience, the whole check-in process took an agonizingly long amount of time, but finally we got in to our rooms and dropped off our bags and our two families reconvened in the lobby. Then, it was Magnum time!

I’ll never forget walking through the parking lot from the hotel over to the Soak City entrance just utterly entranced with Magnum’s impossible height and steepness. This thing was no joke. Nothing like it had ever existed before. This would be a journey into the unknown. It was going to be scary. We entered the park and got right in line for magnum. I think it was around a 90 minute wait, if memory serves, not that I would have cared if it was 90 minutes or 90 hours. There was an energy in the que line, a buzz, an electricty; Magnum was a really big freaking deal. We eventually got to the station and I led our group towards the back car. We were finally at the gates, the next train entered the station and unloaded its human cargo as the gates opened. It was our turn! Here it was! Magnum! Finally!

The seemingly never ending climb up to the heavens. The infinity of Lake Erie stretching from horizon to horizon. The height of that drop. The steepness of that drop. The speed of that drop. My god the speed. And the 2nd drop was better than any other coaster’s 1st drop. MASSIVE 3rd hill air. Pretzel turnaround zaniness. Beach-running airtime glory. Tunnels, tunnels, tunnels. And the fact that it just never let up, tearing up track with speed and power the whole way through. And no freaking OSTRs!

My 13 year old mind was thoroughly blown!

My dad, wobbly-kneed and clutching the exit ramp railling with one hand and his heart with the other, claimed that I was trying to kill him.

They’ve since built ‘em much bigger and taller and faster and steeper and whateverer, but there will forever and always only be one Magnum in my mind. I can never be 13 again, but i'm glad that I was 13 when it was the greatest roller coaster the world had ever seen, and that I was there in person to see Magnum XL-200 completely rewrite roller coaster history in that glorious summer of '89.

Favorite. Coaster. Ever.

TL;DR: I just really, REALLY, REALLY love Magnum XL-200!

Edited by Steely Dan

In a way I want to ride in a traditional coaster car with fix laps bars and traditional seats too. You probably bounce around a lot more. However if you have to sit next to a stranger thats going to be awkward since both of you will end rubbing up against each other. eww. Just no! With friends it would be ok though. However having a seat with no dividers to yourself sounds EPIC! I imagine bouncing and flying around during air time sounds like that would be a lot of fun! I have yet to ride a traditional coaster like that but sounds a lot of fun.

Kennywood has a coaster like that, but they don't allow you to ride in a seat all by yourself. They will pair you with another single rider. The coaster is called Thunderbolt.

However, if you ever get out to Luna Park in NYC, you can ride Cyclone in a row all by yourself.

If we are telling Magnum virginity loss stories...

My grandparents lived a little east of Cleveland and we always went there for vacation. I enjoyed roller coasters and remember being upset because the son of a family friend got to go on Jet Scream at Six Flags over Mid America with my dad because I wasn't tall enough and he was. Well my grandparents told us about Magnum and Cedar Point and we went that summer when we went to visit. Not that it matters, but I believe it was 1989, because we went 2 years in a row, then skipped a year and went the second year Mean Streak was open.

Why did we go 2 years in a row? I was always the short kid, until about 9th grade. Well we went and I wasn't tall enough, no matter how tall I stood up...It's only one of two times that I remember waiting in a line and not making the cut (King Cobra was the other). So my parents promised we would come back the following summer.

I did not grow much during the offseason. But we packed my shoes with toilet paper and I stood up tall and just barely made the cut. Then as we were standing in the station, waiting, watching trains disappear over the first and second hills, I realized what I had gotten myself into. 7 or 8 year old me was scared out of his mind. I remember my heart beating so hard it could have jumped out of my chest, but after all the effort my parents had put in, there was no way I could not ride.

Honestly, I don't remember too much about that particular ride. I've experienced it bunches of times and don't remember specifically the drop that first time, or the turn around or anything before the startling airtime after the turn around. That I remember...

I don't remember what changes the lap bars have gone through over the years. But at that point I was such a skinny, technically not tall enough to ride little kid that there was more than enough room between me and the bar to frighten me. As that damn thing came roaring back home with that ridiculous ejector air I pulled up on the bar as hard as I could to try and keep myself down in the seat. It had these giant, round, thick foam pads on the bars at that point; they were not actually fixed and could rotate around the bar, making it all the more difficult for me not to die! I did not die. I can't even honestly say I enjoyed it at that point; it scared the hell out of me.

It's one of my favorites now, but damn was it intimidating before, during, and after, for little me. I concur with the previous story about the energy in the queue early in Magnum's life though...it was an event for most people in line and there was a feeling in that line that I haven't felt anywhere else. Anyone else remember that padding I'm talking about? Surely it was there to keep the femur snapping to a minimum...

Kennywood has a coaster like that, but they don't allow you to ride in a seat all by yourself. They will pair you with another single rider. The coaster is called Thunderbolt.

However, if you ever get out to Luna Park in NYC, you can ride Cyclone in a row all by yourself.

I never liked those no single riders allowed rule...luckily its not that common. Still its a dumb rule as I hate being paired with random people. Even as a young little child on the carnival rides and some other young child had to sit next to me. My dad was watching me and when I got off he wasnt to pleased. He scolded me.........all because I didn't say hi.Not even kidding you! So pathetic... Still to this day he largely disapproves my "anti social" behavior. However I would like to go to both parks one day as they are classics . If I was to go though im sure I'd be with others anyways. I would just like to try a classic coaster one day as they seem fun. They may not be as extreme as many of todays coasters but they still look a lot of fun. Also that "lack of safety" feeling is what will make the old school coasters more thrilling all on its own!

Midnight Syndicate is coming back to CP in 2017 for Halloweekends!

"We are thrilled to announce that Midnight Syndicate Live! will be returning to Cedar Point's HalloWeekends this fall! We have a new show in a new theater that we can't wait to unleash on audiences. Stay tuned for show updates, production photos, as well as a few more surprises that we have in the works for you this year!

Here's the official press release!

CLEVELAND, Ohio, March 15, 2017 – Halloween and horror music legends Midnight Syndicate will bring their critically-acclaimed concert experience, Midnight Syndicate Live!, back to the world famous amusement park, Cedar Point this fall. The horror-themed multimedia concerts blending live music, theatre, and film will run Friday nights, Saturdays, and Sundays from September 15 through October 29 in the Jack Aldrich Theater at Cedar Point's 21st annual HalloWeekends event.

“We’ve developed a new, even better show that we can’t wait to unleash on audiences,” said Midnight Syndicate’s Edward Douglas. “Our new venue, the Jack Aldrich Theater, is a perfect fit for what we want to do. It will allow us to create an intimate and thrilling experience that guests won’t soon forget.”

“Working with Cedar Point in 2014 was a great experience across the board, so to be able to team up with them again, especially as a part of Midnight Syndicate’s 20th anniversary celebration, is perfect,” added Gavin Goszka.

“We’re excited that Midnight Syndicate is bringing their live and immersive stage show back to Cedar Point this fall,” said Charles Bradshaw, V.P. of Live Entertainment at Cedar Point. “Fans of their mesmerizing music loved their previous run at HalloWeekends – and they’re going to love this latest production.”

For the new show, Midnight Syndicate will once again be calling upon special effects legend Robert Kurtzman (From Dusk Till Dawn, KNB EFX) and the Robert Kurtzman's Creature Corps, David Henson Greathouse (Faceoff, MUSHROOMHEAD OFFICIAL), Beki Ingram (Faceoff), director Gary Jones (Army of Darkness, Axe Giant), 529 Films, EFX TEK, artist Mark Rakocy, and Screamline Studios.

Midnight Syndicate official website: http://www.MidnightSyndicate.com

Cedar Point official website: http://www.CedarPoint.com"

Can't wait, their show was missed for sure! Such amazing guys too, I have had the pleasure of working with them personally and I am really excited they get to run this show again for their 20th anniversary. Really excited for HalloWeekends this year now.