TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Is it time for Magnum to get new trains? I really like the layout and airtime points but the restraints make it seem painful going up hills.

Give B&M a call possibly?

You just need to learn how to ride Magnum and it will change your life!!!

Do I (again) need to bring up the fact that Magnum did over a million and a half riders last year, the fourth highest total of any ride in the park despite not having early entry or nah?

"I personally don't like it, therefore I declare that they need new B&M trains that they've never put on an Arrow before that can't accommodate riders over 6 feet tall which won't be a problem at all in the United States!"

Do I (again) need to bring up the fact that Magnum did over a million and a half riders last year, the fourth highest total of any ride in the park despite not having early entry or nah?

"I personally don't like it, therefore I declare that they need new B&M trains that they've never put on an Arrow before that can't accommodate riders over 6 feet tall which won't be a problem at all in the United States!"

There you go again Bill... being all smart, pratical, and realistic. . . You know that doesn't work here.

Is it time for Magnum to get new trains? I really like the layout and airtime points but the restraints make it seem painful going up hills.

Give B&M a call possibly?

You just need to learn how to ride Magnum and it will change your life!!!

What is the correct way? If I recall, it involves leaving the lap bar a little loose, tightening the seatbelt more, and not riding in a wheel seat. Yes?

Tighten the belt (as much as possible) and you should be good, seat location doesn't really matter.

Sure, you shouldn't ever have to "know how to ride" a ride, and I know that speech is coming but I'd once again point to the ridership numbers as a testament to the fact that even though some people find it rough, the ride is immensely popular overall.

Sure, you shouldn't ever have to "know how to ride" a ride. . .

You know, that's what I thought at first too. But I sucked it up, and tried the "trick." Before the trick I was HATING Magnum, to the point I would avoid it at all cost. Now, after trying the "trick" I really enjoy the coaster... enough that we ride it several times ever visit. Is it the best ride in the park?? No. But learning to ride the ride sure makes it fun, enjoyable, and rerideable.

As a classic, Magnum is one of the few coaster exceptions where I not only tolerate some of the clunkiness, but I actually consider said clunkiness to be part of the charm. That wonky angling out of the pretzel turn and into the second tunnel always makes me giggle and think, "Oh goodness, Ron Toomer was just eyeballing it here." You change the trains or bring in Chance to make new bunny hills or do anything else that walks off with parts of the set, and suddenly the whole production & legacy of that coaster would fall apart. It needs to stay imperfect.

I've had plenty of bad rides on Magnum, but I've also had "OMG-best-ride-in-the-park-today" rides on Magnum. The middle row of the last car has always, always delivered at least a good ride for me. That row delivers a comparatively smooth experience, you get the fun yank over the first hill, and fewer people usually line up for it compared to the back row. It's been my go-to row for a couple of seasons, and I haven't had a bad ride on it since.

Yea I rather CP leave Magnum alone. The whole lets have B&M replace it is silly! B&M hypers have epic first drops but when it comes to air time hills Magnum was better then the B&M's hyper air time hills. Where is B&M is mostly floater,Magnum has that nice rough intense ejector air. Why would you want to take that away?? Roller coasters arnt suppose to be like a bike ride through the park they are suppose to give you that awesome out of your control feeling. So I hope they never replace Magnum. If you dont like Magnum just skip it! More time for you to go on other rides! but please dont expect it to be replaced...

I've had plenty of bad rides on Magnum, but I've also had "OMG-best-ride-in-the-park-today" rides on Magnum. The middle row of the last car has always, always delivered at least a good ride for me. That row delivers a comparatively smooth experience, you get the fun yank over the first hill, and fewer people usually line up for it compared to the back row. It's been my go-to row for a couple of seasons, and I haven't had a bad ride on it since.

Bill.. remember this for me!

Bert based on what you thought of Skyrush just follow the seatbelt trick - keep the belt tight and the lapbar loose, and you'll be fine.

Yea I rather CP leave Magnum alone. The whole lets have B&M replace it is silly! B&M hypers have epic first drops but when it comes to air time hills Magnum was better then the B&M's hyper air time hills. Where is B&M is mostly floater,Magnum has that nice rough intense ejector air. Why would you want to take that away?? Roller coasters arnt suppose to be like a bike ride through the park they are suppose to give you that awesome out of your control feeling. So I hope they never replace Magnum. If you dont like Magnum just skip it! More time for you to go on other rides! but please dont expect it to be replaced...

I don't think anyone has wished for the whole ride to be replaced by B&M, only the restraints.

Get those mine train lapbars outtahere.

The trick has never worked for me..

Bert based on what you thought of Skyrush just follow the seatbelt trick - keep the belt tight and the lapbar loose, and you'll be fine.

Yeah. . I HATED Skyrush, and am wondering how i''m going to feel about Gatekeeper.

I'm way more often a 1-and-done coaster guy, but since we're going for Coastermania, gonna try to do as many rerides on things as Bill wants to (and I can tolerate)

What are you worried about Gatekeeper for? Its one of the most comfortable coasters Ive ever been on. And barely any forces at that.

the whole "hanging out over open air" thing.

What are you worried about Gatekeeper for? Its one of the most comfortable coasters Ive ever been on. And barely any forces at that.

the whole "hanging out over open air" thing.

Oh that part is fun. Nothing like Skyrush.

As a classic, Magnum is one of the few coaster exceptions where I not only tolerate some of the clunkiness, but I actually consider said clunkiness to be part of the charm. That wonky angling out of the pretzel turn and into the second tunnel always makes me giggle and think, "Oh goodness, Ron Toomer was just eyeballing it here." You change the trains or bring in Chance to make new bunny hills or do anything else that walks off with parts of the set, and suddenly the whole production & legacy of that coaster would fall apart. It needs to stay imperfect.

Yep, all of this.

I rode Magnum in the third row of the first car and slammed multiple times hard into those lapbars every lap. I must have developed Stockholm syndrome, as I loved the ride for being able to do that. I take it this bodes well for me for Skyrush?

Awwww do I have to start making "where to sit/ride lists" now, Bert?

(I'll do my best to note such things. Magnum ~ Last car, Middle Row. First Car, Third Row.)

^ Nah, just Magnum. Mean Streak was the only other one that made a difference, really, and it won't be open when you guys visit. If you want an insane ride, you ride 3rd row of 1st car. If you want a gentler ride, you ride middle row of any car.

For Maverick, it's not where you sit but how you ride that makes a difference. Throw yourself at the turns. Don't lean; throw yourself in that direction. It makes all the difference in the world.

I rode Magnum in the third row of the first car and slammed multiple times hard into those lapbars every lap. I must have developed Stockholm syndrome, as I loved the ride for being able to do that. I take it this bodes well for me for Skyrush?

That was always my go to seat on Magnum and I dealt with the charlie horses. Skyrush is a different level of pressure on the thighs. But so worth it.

^ That last part, is I think how to describe riding Coaster, up here in Vancouver, lol. "Like a bucking bronco."

One of these days I'll get to Vancouver. I've wanted to go for some time, for reasons other than Playland. But you've talked it up enough that I think I must ride Coaster at some point.

That was always my go to seat on Magnum and I dealt with the charlie horses. Skyrush is a different level of pressure on the thighs. But so worth it.

Wow, even more than Magnum?

Nothing anyone says here will prepare you for what Skyrush is going to do to your body, but if you dig a beating from Magnum (like I do) you're halfway there.