TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Is anyone else curious as to what TOGO or Dinn could have created if they were given the job?

The Togo Proposal sounds like the name of a movie I wouldn't want to see.

This board has been slow but there has been some quality posting going on this week, guys.

I read somewhere in the Michigan Adventures thread that someone believed they would get rid of Magnum and give it to MA. I thought that was such a weird thing to say....Its such a classic awesome coaster why would CP even think to get rid of it?? Or replace it with something as mundane as a bigger wave pool.....Wave pools are cool and all but they will never replace the awesomeness of a roller coaster! That would be a dumb move for any amusement park to remove their classic coaster/s and put it in second or third rate amusement parks....(unless of course said park has closed for good)

I read somewhere in the Michigan Adventures thread that someone believed they would get rid of Magnum and give it to MA. I thought that was such a weird thing to say....Its such a classic awesome coaster why would CP even think to get rid of it?? Or replace it with something as mundane as a bigger wave pool.....Wave pools are cool and all but they will never replace the awesomeness of a roller coaster! That would be a dumb move for any amusement park to remove their classic coaster/s and put it in second or third rate amusement parks....(unless of course said park has closed for good)

Enthusiasts always say dumb shit! It's what we do!

Cedar Point asked for proposals from TOGO, Dinn Corporation, Intamin and Arrow Dynamics to build a roller coaster without inversions or over-the-shoulder restraints.
Is anyone else curious as to what TOGO or Dinn could have created if they were given the job?

No

I agree with Bill. I want to know what kind of glorious piece of twisted metal F'ING INTAMIN proposed that CP passed on.

The name Magnum XL-200 was chosen because Magnum, P.I. was popular at the time and Cedar Point's management wanted to incorporate the height into the name."

Assuming this is true, I love SO much that Magnum is actually named after Magnum P.I.! Tom Selleck FTW!!!

Hadn't Arrow just done a coaster in Japan that was a lot like Magnum but smaller? I think I remember something about a Japanese coaster being the inspiration.

Not sure about Arrow doing a Japanese coaster just prior to Magnum, but Togo did open Bandit (167 feet tall and over 5,000 feet long) in the spring of 1988. However, Bandit and Magnum don't have much in common besides both being tall and long

Just watched a Bandit POV thanks to your post, and basically when I hear the word "Togo" I immediately think "Pain." And before I go on, WOW, what an impressive coaster! There are some really cool elements on that ride!

Now to the LOL it just blows my mind the way they used to design coasters when you look at them and the strange angles and decisions they made. Like, why would they wait at the last second to make a turn when they could have just smoothly elongated the turn eventually. It's like every element was designed in Roller Coaster Tycoon. Or like, why did they literally HAVE to have straight pieces of tracks for drops that go into super hard down or up ramps? It's so weird to me and it seems so obvious just watching the videos that they didn't think of it that way, or that simply the technology wasn't there.

But still, some of those hard headbanging turns? I mean come ON. They couldn't think of a way to alleviate that just a TAD? There's no flow in mind at all!

that simply the technology wasn't there.

This. Prior to CAD, engineers had to do all the calculations by hand, which took a very long time. So they tended to stick with the same pieces over and over again, since they had already done the calculations for them. That's why all of their loops are exactly the same, for example.

Now, Arrow did make the mistake in hindsight of not converting to CAD quickly enough. Hence why B&M was abke to disrupt the industry with their superior technology. Until B&M, no one expected roller coasters to be smooth. People won't demand something they don't know is possible. Once people had experienced a CAD designed coaster, though, they began to demand them, and everyone, including Arrow, had to make the switch.

The name Magnum XL-200 was chosen because Magnum, P.I. was popular at the time and Cedar Point's management wanted to incorporate the height into the name."

Assuming this is true, I love SO much that Magnum is actually named after Magnum P.I.! Tom Selleck FTW!!!

I always assumed it was named after

Magnum_XL.jpg.17075e1a97dfa4ad013fe50a9d85829f.jpg

Kidding, obviously TTD is their giant phallic centerpiece.

I always assumed it was named after

[attachment=0]Magnum_XL.jpg[/attachment]

Kidding, obviously TTD is their giant phallic centerpiece.

Was someone at Cedar Point just completely horny back then? The

^ What's really weird about the wikipedia Magnum P.I. story is that the show's popularity really waned in its later years, and by '89, it wasn't even a show anymore. Yeah, in the early/mid-80's it was a huge hit show, but it seems strange that CP, in 1989, would try to tie in the name of its brand new world record breaking roller coaster with what was by that time a has-been TV show.

i believe the original definition of magnum is the over-sized (2x) wine bottle known as a "magnum", but the word is also used more informally to describe anything of great size or power, which I suppose works equally well for both record breaking roller coasters and giant condoms.

Just watched a Bandit POV thanks to your post, and basically when I hear the word "Togo" I immediately think "Pain." And before I go on, WOW, what an impressive coaster! There are some really cool elements on that ride!

Bandit does indeed look like a fun ride from the POV (though what's up with the OTSRs?), but other than being tall, long, and non-inverting, it doesn't seem to have that much in common with Magnum.

Togo has a deservedly poor reputation in NA based on the 7 roller coasters they built here (big apple, ultra twister, viper, windjammer, and the 3 KECO stand-ups), but I'm curious if those who've been to Japan and ridden rides like Bandit and Fujiyama might have a more nuanced opinion of them.

^ What's really weird about the wikipedia Magnum P.I. story is that the show's popularity really waned in its later years, and by '89, it wasn't even a show anymore. Yeah, in the early/mid-80's it was a huge hit show, but it seems strange that CP, in 1989, would try to tie in the name of its brand new world record breaking roller coaster with what was by that time a has-been TV show.

It wasn't the last time they used a TV show theme, either.

Speaking of Japanese coasters.... I seen a lot of POVs of them and I wonder why do so many of the Japanese coasters have such shallow drops. Not all but a big majority of them do. Or not only do they have shallow drops but many lack elements and are mostly long straight track and long turns. Japan a country known for their technology,seems to have tame coasters compare to other parts of the world.

As I understand it, Magnum wasn't chosen because of the TV show, but rather because of the power of the namesake handgun and the relevant power of the ride.

I dug a little deeper into the wikipedia story links and got to an article with this quote from Kinzel himself:

Kinzel says, “Everything back then was about Magnum. Magnum PI was popular on TV, Magnum Force in the movies. We wanted to capitalize on the popularity of the name."

source: http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2009/10/blast-from-past-magnum-xl200-at-cedar.html

So I guess Tom Selleck really did have something to do with it.

It still seems odd to me, but whatever.

The name is great. The ride is great. Everything about Magnum XL-200 is just really, really great!

There's a reason why it's my favorite roller coaster of all time.

Edited by Steely Dan

As I understand it, Magnum wasn't chosen because of the TV show, but rather because of the power of the namesake handgun and the relevant power of the ride.

I dug a little deeper into the wikipedia story links and got to an article with this quote from Kinzel himself:

Kinzel says, “Everything back then was about Magnum. Magnum PI was popular on TV, Magnum Force in the movies. We wanted to capitalize on the popularity of the name."

source: http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2009/10/blast-from-past-magnum-xl200-at-cedar.html

So I guess Tom Selleck really did have something to do with it.

It still seems odd to me, but whatever.

The name is great. The ride is great. Everything about Magnum XL-200 is just really, really great!

There's a reason why it's my favorite roller coaster of all time.

Yes being as Magnum P.I. ran from 1980 to 1988, actually ending a year before Magnum opened. And Magnum Force was from 1973, a full 16 years and 2 more Dirty Harry movies before Magnum opened. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk was featured on "Sudden Impact", so it would have made perfect sense if they would have changed "Big Dipper" to "Magnum" something, though that didn't happen for obvious reasons. And they could also have changed the name "Big Dipper" to "Sudden Impact", but that would definitely not be a good name for any roller coaster. LOL

As for Magnum XL-200, I love it. It's an amazing roller coaster and the name is unique.