TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I think the pricing is an interesting dynamic given how Six Flags is 3x the cost for their Season Skip the Line passes.

At the same time, however, I don't think the parks that are offering this require a FAST LANE day in/day out like some Six Flags parks do.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. The more people use these passes, the longer wait times get. The longer wait times get, the lower the passes' perceived value becomes. It's a dynamic system that will ebb and flow with use. Seems like we are starting a downward trend in the perceived value since more and more people are acquiring the Skip the Line passes each year.

It was the stand behind Dragster's tower if I'm not mistaken. I got them plain (well... salted) because I wanted to try them untainted. They were soggy and pretty tasteless (to be fair, ordering them plain might've been a goof on my part), plus I had to wait what felt like an eternity to get them. I managed to down maybe three quarters of them just because I was trying to get my money's worth out of them.

You are probably referring to the one across from Gemini past TTD & Camp Snoopy? Yeah, not sure if I could go for plain fries that are that thick...we always get them with cheese so perhaps that's the key. I have read on here that the Parmesan/garlic ones are also very good, but I have yet to sample them (hopefully change that this season).

Sorry to hear that the combo of getting plain fries, coupled with the long wait for soggy fries that may have been sitting under a heat lamp soured your experience. Must have hit them on a bad day at the wrong time, because the fries that we have gotten there in the past have always been fresh, hot and delicious.

We had a similar experience at Famous Dave's with the burnt ends and rib tips (which were anything short of awful) last year. The saving grace was that we had an awesome view of MF and TTD on the patio and the drinks/beers were good! I gave them a pass though as our previous visit, the burnt ends and ribs were amazing!

Just caught it on a bad day, I guess....it happens.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. The more people use these passes, the longer wait times get. The longer wait times get, the lower the passes' perceived value becomes. It's a dynamic system that will ebb and flow with use. Seems like we are starting a downward trend in the perceived value since more and more people are acquiring the Skip the Line passes each year.

They limit how many Fast Passes they sell for yearly passes per park and also daily passes to avoid this. If it ever gets out of control they can make adjustments to prevent that.

They limit how many Fast Passes they sell for yearly passes per park and also daily passes to avoid this

These "limits" are for the most part a marketing ploy and serve as a call to action. If there is indeed a limit, it's so absurdly high that hitting it is never (or almost never) a real concern.

WoF almost always sells out on Haunt Saturdays. They should keep track of the people who leave with them or sell a certain amount each hour so the Fast Lane lines aren't barren while I wait 3 hours for their Morgan Hyper.

^I've thought about that and talked it over with Emily. That might be the next evolution of nerd'ism for me. Seems pretty cool. Cedar Point of one of the Busch's would probably be the place to do it. I could probably sell a VIP tour of Busch Gardens Willaimsburg to Emily. It's her favorite park.

If you do a VIP tour at CP I can give it to you! Whether it's the sunrise or all day one! Perks of working in guest services

WoF almost always sells out on Haunt Saturdays. They should keep track of the people who leave with them or sell a certain amount each hour so the Fast Lane lines aren't barren while I wait 3 hours for their Morgan Hyper.

Almost? They sold out 3 HAUNT Saturdays last year.

They limit how many Fast Passes they sell for yearly passes per park and also daily passes to avoid this

These "limits" are for the most part a marketing ploy and serve as a call to action. If there is indeed a limit, it's so absurdly high that hitting it is never (or almost never) a real concern.

I know for sure on 1 Haunt weekend CP sold out of Fast Lane. And there was possibly a second time in 2016. In 2015 two Haunt Saturday's sold out.

4th of July is the only time they really ever sell out isn't it?

It's been a few years since the 4Th of July has been obnoxiously busy. Busier? Yeah. But it doesn't compare to Saturday's in July/August and Halloweekends. It sells out every now and then during the summer season, especially after the $30 ticket special CP runs in the middle of summer.

I took the Sunrise Thrills tour last year and it was outstanding! I did ask our guide about FL pass caps and he said "When the FL lines hit 45-60 mins we stop selling passes." Considering we were there a couple years ago on July 4 and several FL lines were in that time frame and people were being told they were sold out, it sounds reasonable to me. Now, however many wristbands would be sold to create that I have no idea.

Disagree. The more fast passes and the longer the wait times get, the lower the value of just a ticket or pass to get in. Eventually the fastpass arms race becomes so disgusting that many just stay home. But then, the majority view already is that amusement parks are overcrowded cesspits of overpopulation, luckily for us.

I think you proved his point... -- it sold out the one night I went to Kings Island a few years back! Take that, Bill!

To be fair though, I'm honestly surprised there's a limit at all. I always figured that was 100% bullsh*t. Now I know it's only 99.9% bullsh*t.

^^About the overpopulation thing...every time I see long lines at amusement parks,bad traffic,busy waiting rooms,etc I start noticing the over population issue just more and more. There is one good thing however,about over crowded amusement parks! We know the park is getting good business and there or more money. We dont have to worry about it loosing money and closing down any time soon. So the over crowdedness has a good side and a bad side.

I will be renewing my Valleyfair platinum season pass on Friday. I will also be doing the 2017 season pass fast lane this season. It's Valleyfair's 2nd season doing this. I was wondering when you buy the platinum season pass along with the 2017 season pass fast lane is that good at all Cedar Fair park's with your platinum season pass or just Valleyfair only? Would you be able to do the 2017 season pass fast lane at Cedar Point? Just wondering because I will be making a trip out to Cedar Point in June.

I took the Sunrise Thrills tour last year and it was outstanding! I did ask our guide about FL pass caps and he said "When the FL lines hit 45-60 mins we stop selling passes." Considering we were there a couple years ago on July 4 and several FL lines were in that time frame and people were being told they were sold out, it sounds reasonable to me. Now, however many wristbands would be sold to create that I have no idea.

This proves the point about "perceived value"... They don't want to sell a $135 pass and then have someone come back and complain. Yea, the 1-hour wait is better than the 3-hour wait, but that is a tough sell at that point. Also, we're talking about 3-5 days out of what, 125 operating days?

More and more, it seems that you'd probably enjoy your day better if you had a Skip the Line pass. And by making it relatively cheap, you're gonna have more people using it. Kinda sounds like what Six Flags pushes with their cheap season passes doesn't it? Obviously it's scaled down in raw numbers, but you may see a particularly high percentage of pass holders jump on this and as a result you see a jump in wait times.

I don't think they'll go from station waits to 60+ minutes right out of the gate, but a ride might go from a walk-on to 10 minutes the first season. Then 20 min the next season. Then 30 min. It's a slippery slope that Cedar Fair has to balance on.

I was wondering when you buy the platinum season pass along with the 2017 season pass fast lane is that good at all Cedar Fair park's with your platinum season pass or just Valleyfair only? Would you be able to do the 2017 season pass fast lane at Cedar Point? Just wondering because I will be making a trip out to Cedar Point in June.

No, it is only valid at the park you purchase it at. It even says that on the page to purchase the season pass fastlane.

Memorial Day 2015 we got our FPs right away and talked to a couple people later in the day (and on Sunday) that had said they tried to get FPs and they had sold out of them on Saturday. We bought them right away Sunday too because of this. Now I never saw any FP lines that were 45-60 minutes, but the park was rammed that Saturday and basically Sunday too, tho noticably not as bad.

So I'm heading to CP for the first time ever May 14 (Sunday) or 15 (Monday). I'm in South Carolina so not too far away and have always wanted to go, just never made it. So, couple of questions...

-This seems like a no brainer but should I go on the Sunday or Monday? Monday seems best obviously but the only downside is I'd be flying out of Cleveland the next day rather than having a day buffer in between CP and flying out.

-Is FL or FL+ worth it that time of year on those days? If I were to go on Monday, for example, I can't imagine lines being very long.

-Any tips on affordable places to stay nearby? It's just going to be me and maybe my buddy. Only time spent at the hotel is for sleeping.

-Any other general tips for a first timer?

I'm pretty psyched, can't wait!

I'd just leave it open until a few days out, then pick the day with better weather (so lower winds and a lower chance of rain... both of which can cause a ton of closures at Cedar Point).

All things being equal though I'd go Sunday. It's the first week of daily operations so it means lines will be virtually nonexistent on Monday, but at the same time they'll be short staffed which means second tier rides generally have staggered openings and they have to work miracles to shuffle around staff. It won't be noticeable on the major rides but you'll notice it elsewhere (for example, you can race on Gemini on Sunday but I'd bet anything that only one side runs on Monday).

I took the Sunrise Thrills tour last year and it was outstanding! I did ask our guide about FL pass caps and he said "When the FL lines hit 45-60 mins we stop selling passes."

I can't imagine how pissed off I would be to pay over two hundred dollars for fast lane plus passes and wait in forty-five minute lines.

I'd just leave it open until a few days out, then pick the day with better weather (so lower winds and a lower chance of rain... both of which can cause a ton of closures at Cedar Point).

All things being equal though I'd go Sunday. It's the first week of daily operations so it means lines will be virtually nonexistent on Monday, but at the same time they'll be short staffed which means second tier rides generally have staggered openings and they have to work miracles to shuffle around staff. It won't be noticeable on the major rides but you'll notice it elsewhere (for example, you can race on Gemini on Sunday but I'd bet anything that only one side runs on Monday).

Good call. They do have the pre-season $40 single day ticket (which seems insanely cheap to me but I'm cool with it!) so I can get that now and choose the day later.

If I end up on a Sunday, do you think the FL is worth it that early in the season? $75 seems pretty steep (and doesn't even include the big rides).