TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have a feeling Cedar Point asked RMC for an airtime-filled monster without any inversions or overbank gimmicks - which is great in my opinion, it's different from the other ones, and variety is always nice.

I also hope it's an airtime filled monster, but I want at least one stall.

I wouldn't classify the overbanks or inversions as gimmicks. They are a lot of fun on these coasters.

The angled ledgers created one hell of an optical illusion which really had me fooled in previous pictures. It looks a lot more "normal" now (but still fairly batshit-crazy), but that's the thing with RMC, you never know what they're gonna come up with next.

Exactly. The same thing happened with Twisted Colossus' construction in which the camera angle made the double down look very different to what it actually is. This looks like it'll be a fun hill with a snakey double-down s-dive on the other side.

Also, count me in as one of the few who wouldn't mind seeing RMC do a slightly more traditional-style mega-twister with larger elements that are perhaps a bit less snappy. While I wouldn't say that their usual elements are gimmicky (although they're idiosyncratic), I'm not a huge fan of their outward bank turns or their more thigh-bruising forward-jolting bunny hops. Having said that, bizarre and extreme is kind of RMC's thing and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what else this one has to offer.

I wouldn't classify the overbanks or inversions as gimmicks. They are a lot of fun on these coasters.

If something like this is a gimmick, sign me up.
thumb_56f1f5c59041a.jpg.c79c63ba5afdf462fd567b5904d757b8.jpg

I'm glad some other people said it, because I sure was thinking the same thing! The word "gimmick" is thrown around far too frequently in coaster enthusiast circles to describe things that oftentimes, aren't really a "gimmick" at all, but rather a revolutionary new coaster experience, that has staying power. I too hope CP's RMC is full of both ridiculous airtime, and multiple mind blowing inversions. Whatever it is though, it'll be great, I'm sure of that!

Considering they manufactured 13,000 ft of track for 2016 rides, I don't think the facility is anywhere near capacity. They are manufacturing a little more than 4,000 ft of track for S&S in 2017.

But don't forget about RMC Hurler, At least one 4D Free Fly, and the T-Rex coaster. . . Those are clearly going to take up all of the space RMC has.

I have a feeling Cedar Point asked RMC for an airtime-filled monster without any inversions or overbank gimmicks - which is great in my opinion, it's different from the other ones, and variety is always nice.

Wait, what??? You think Cedar Point asked for a roller coaster with no "gimmicks?" This park is the queen of "gimmicks."

Also, do you really think Cedar Point of all parks would want a to build an RMC coaster without inversions?? Seriously?? This is Cedar Point we are talking about. . . You know they are going to want to break the records: "Tallest, fastest, longest, and most inversions on a hybrid coaster."

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Wait, what??? You think Cedar Point asked for a roller coaster with no "gimmicks?" This park is the queen of "gimmicks."

The main gimmick being, "we have the best roller coasters".

Tallest, fastest, longest, most inversions... Those don't make the rides themselves gimmicky. It makes them (in theory) bad ass.

How can you say that?

That's the prime example of a gimmick. Anyone and everyone has at some point referred to TTD as a gimmick. It was, and it is. Granted it's still an amazing ride.

I'm sure the debate over what elements constitute a "gimmick", whether or not this ride should feature "gimmicks" and how many other coasters they have that could be considered "gimmicky" weighed heavily on the design process since this is a thing the majority of the park's guests care deeply about.

Not only are they stupid but they are kind of selfish too. I know accidents happen but why bring alcohol to a kiddie area anyways?? It looks like the kids area is up and front so parents can watch from side line on lounge chairs and not have to be so close to the kiddie pool. If they want to interact with their kids then they should put the bottle down for a while and spend time with their child! If they dont have children with them then thats REALLY stupid! Why would you be hanging around in a kiddie area drinking then anyways?? Sucks for the people who paid to take their kids there and then the night be ruined by irresponsible people like that....

I don't even know where to begin with this sh*t...

How come everytime i try to join in conversations i get shot down for it? Its getting old really quick! Stop already please

Anyways..........RMC! Yes I prefer them with all the wacky inversions myself. An RMC without them would be weird. I think its cool if they combined both the airtime hills and inversions. I dont call them gimmicky....its what makes the RMCs so unique and stand out from other coasters.

Overbanked curves are hardly a gimmick at this point, but I would not expect them to be the focus of the new coaster. Across the park, Millennium Force has a couple of them. RMC does like overbanked curves, though, so I have to think there will be one or two. But hopefully the focus will be airtime, airtime, AIRTIME! Cedar Point doesn't have a modern airtime machine the way that other big Cedar Fair parks do with coasters like Diamondback and Fury 325.

I'd like to have some zero-G inversions on New Mean Streak. They were my favorite part of Wicked Cyclone, my lone RMC (so far). I've been upside down plenty of times, but the combination of the inverted view plus perfect floater air was a lot of fun.

I love RMC inversion even if i only been on one RMC. Something about them is unique and makes them different from typical steel coaster inversions. However it sooooo should have the air time hills too! Especially ejector airtime! Floating air is fun but it doesnt give the same thrill ejector does. Its pretty much "weeeee im flying*giggle giggle giggle*!!" vs "OMFG!!! I feel like im gonna get thrown from this coaster!!!!!" Now if its long lasting floater air that last most of the ride thats a different story. As for the RMC over banked turns those are fun too. Not as the other two elements i mentioned but still fun and unique for a wooden roller coaster. Its cool when a over banked turn turns into a drop and combineds the two.

Not only are they stupid but they are kind of selfish too. I know accidents happen but why bring alcohol to a kiddie area anyways?? It looks like the kids area is up and front so parents can watch from side line on lounge chairs and not have to be so close to the kiddie pool. If they want to interact with their kids then they should put the bottle down for a while and spend time with their child! If they dont have children with them then thats REALLY stupid! Why would you be hanging around in a kiddie area drinking then anyways?? Sucks for the people who paid to take their kids there and then the night be ruined by irresponsible people like that....

How come everytime i try to join in conversations i get shot down for it? Its getting old really quick! Stop already please

I'm guessing he's just tired of your repetitive off topic rambling. I'm also guessing he's not alone. Or, maybe we can continue to discuss broken glass in non amusement park kiddie pools, if you really feel that's so relevant to the Cedar Point Discussion Thread. By all means, please continue. Hell, if you feel it's necessary, we can also start a lynch mob and bring justice to the guy who made a dumb mistake.

Cedar Point does a great job at making their coasters unique from each other I'm regards to elements. If I were to speculate based on what RMC has done in the past I would guess that the new MS will turn out to be the park's most "complete" ride. It only makes sense to take a ride from worst to first, right? No matter what the final creation gives us it doesn't seem farfetched to say this is one of the most exciting coaster projects in recent history.

I'm guessing he's just tired of your repetitive off topic rambling. I'm also guessing he's not alone. Or, maybe we can continue to discuss broken glass in non amusement park kiddie pools, if you really feel that's so relevant to the Cedar Point Discussion Thread. By all means, please continue. Hell, if you feel it's necessary, we can also start a lynch mob and bring justice to the guy who made a dumb mistake.

I dont know about you but if you go that route bringing up the whole hotel pool was off topic in the first place! Just saying....a hotel pool is nothing to do with Cedar Point...so if you want to get on people for being off topic do it to all people who start talking about random stuff that has nothing to do with Cedar Point. I seen it happen many times in this thread. I mean what does cargo pants got to really do with Cedar Point?? Not like it matters what is talked about in here I can care less,but im just saying. Also about the ramblings...its an online forum not an in person face to face conversation. Online conversation works different then real life conversation in case you didnt know. Also I have no interest to continue talking about broken glass I was just giving my simple one time opinion about said event. That is all. It was a one time deal. Im pretty sure if no one quoted me and brought it back up Id probably would of forgotten the said convo already. Its a forum about amusement parks it suppose to be fun and relaxed not something thats super formulated. Anyways I wish to end this conversation now as Im done. I'd want to continue talking about RMC Meanstreak thats far more interesting then critiquing strangers social skills.

I hope there is a zero G stall too. I enjoy it alot on the Goliath. Also since there is no OTSR and just a lap bar it makes all the more thrilling! This is what i hope will be on the new MS. Of course the big tall steep drop,the 0 G stall,air time hills,the banked turn into a drop element,a few other unique RMC signature inversions too of course. I think Outlaw Run's inversions look awesome although I never been on it. I mean cork screws on a wooden roller coaster? How awesome is that! But whatever it is as long as its super fun and thrilling ill be happy with it. Its RMC im sure it will be good no matter what. Like I said i only been on one but I hear a lot of good about RMC,so im sure it will be epic!

Certainly the most exciting project since 2007 at Cedar Point, if not 2000.

Absolutely. It's almost funny because if you think about it there's been talk of MS being reimaged in some form even long before RMC has been doing conversions. Because of this we can laughingly make an argument that this is their most anticipated project ever