TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I moved to Detroit from Australia mid last year and managed to get to CP once. After a good day in the park I was planning on buying platinum passes for this season but I hesitated during the sales they had late last year. Does CP/CF ever do another sale on passes before the season opens?

I moved to Detroit from Australia mid last year and managed to get to CP once. After a good day in the park I was planning on buying platinum passes for this season but I hesitated during the sales they had late last year. Does CP/CF ever do another sale on passes before the season opens?

They just progressively push the price up with each price being a sale until they get to the final amount of $219 or whatever it is.

I need Tylenol after reading the last 3 pages.

Hold on! They're just discovering ways to wipe away bad memories from your mind, without the rest of you being hurt at all.

Just totally forget that bad park experience. Or references to boats, toilet paper, Dippin' Dots Guys,

Mean Streak (ad nauseam), Pink's, Famous Dave's....

So it dives down while staying banked left in a new photo I saw. Wow

It's just like I was expecting. A huge outward banked downward dive. And right now it's about to the point I could see the inversion happening. (Maybe, and hopefully!) There also appears to be either a double up, or double down in the foreground!

it sure is looking amazing.

So it dives down while staying banked left in a new photo I saw. Wow

Yes wow is the correct word to use b/c the element looks insane I'm thinking that's why CP is being so tight lipped b/c the surprise is the ride is going to eject you into lake erie CP for the love of God announce this thing already you're just being downright mean now lol

I've seen the image and it's so insane that I honestly don't even know what I'm looking at. Part of me says they're banking left and goign around the maintenance building, but I know that's not likely since there's no existing structure over there and it's cost prohibitive... so that must mean it's going to pull some batsh*t crazy element to twist back the other way.

I kind of agree with what Screamscape just put out for Mean Streak honestly.:

So what's going on with Mean Streak? I posed the question ten days ago and The Point has been completely silent on the issue. Meanwhile construction continues on site at the park with new RMC style track being set into place (check out this photo posted to our Facebook page, and this one someone sent us a link to), and some interesting new changes being made that promise that whatever is happening to Mean Streak will truly be something special when it does open.

But when will that be? I've had discussions with some industry experts who, like myself, thought for sure that the new coaster would be ready in 2017... but the delays, slow progress and long weeks of silence is starting to wear everyone a little thin. So will it be a 2018 opening then?

Honestly, I'm not convinced. After a brief chat with a trusted source we've come to believe that at this point it is likely not to open with the park in 2017, we think there is a chance they could open it later in the season, perhaps closer to HalloWeekends. Given that they closed Mean Streak last season with an official funeral and the reading of the last rites, wouldn't it make sense to reopen it with a new name and some kind of supernatural or ghostly creature theme. Perhaps something not unlike GhostRider at Knott's Berry Farm for example, that would be an appropriate theme for this side of the park. Plus it would be a heck of a way to get a huge surge in attendance to close out the 2017 season, and inspire early 2018 season pass sales. Just an idea...

Source: http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

I think announcing Mean Streak sooner rather than later would be ideal. Waiting until most of the ride is done takes away the surprise element for the fans as well as the GP. The great thing RMC's is the fact that their layouts almost never leak ahead of time. But with this one, unless they announce ahead of opening day, will kinda be like a "Well, no sh*t!" moment for the hardcore fans and pass holders.

I know it is never a great idea to announce something this early, but with all the hype surrounding the ride, I think Cedar Point should make an exception. With two roller coasters opening within two years of each other, the people that would wait for new rides probably wouldn't go this year anyway, since they just went in 2016 to ride Valravn. And the people who go every year will of course show up this year. I don't think there's much to be lost in this scenario.

I think announcing Mean Streak sooner rather than later would be ideal. Waiting until most of the ride is done takes away the surprise element for the fans as well as the GP. The great thing RMC's is the fact that their layouts almost never leak ahead of time. But with this one, unless they announce ahead of opening day, will kinda be like a "Well, no sh*t!" moment for the hardcore fans and pass holders.

The "surprise element" means nothing. People are going to want to ride it regardless of whether or not they're surprised when the announcement is made. Valravn was leaked about a year ahead of time by the Sandusky Register and it didn't make a bit of difference. Plus, you're operating under the assumption that everyone is following the leaks and studying the coaster layout as closely as hardcore enthusiasts are. They're not.

PS: The "Well, no sh*t!" moment from hardcore fans and pass holders means nothing because...

a) They were the ones looking all over the internet for leaked photos. That's not the park's problem. They didn't want an "oh sh*t" moment, they want to speculate endlessly about every detail of the ride and get every inside source they can. That's fine, but don't spend a year doing that and then blame the park when the announcement doesn't surprise you.

b) Hardcore fans and pass holders are... well... hardcore fans and pass holders. They're going to buy passes no matter what. The park doesn't have to work to get them excited about the coaster. Even if all they were getting was a petting zoo expansion they would still renew their passes.

The "surprise element" means nothing. People are going to want to ride it regardless of whether or not they're surprised when the announcement is made. Valravn was leaked about a year ahead of time by the Sandusky Register and it didn't make a bit of difference. Plus, you're operating under the assumption that everyone is following the leaks and studying the coaster layout as closely as hardcore enthusiasts are. They're not.

PS: The "Well, no sh*t!" moment from hardcore fans and pass holders means nothing because...

a) They were the ones looking all over the internet for leaked photos. That's not the park's problem. They didn't want an "oh sh*t" moment, they want to speculate endlessly about every detail of the ride and get every inside source they can. That's fine, but don't spend a year doing that and then blame the park when the announcement doesn't surprise you.

b) Hardcore fans and pass holders are... well... hardcore fans and pass holders. They're going to buy passes no matter what. The park doesn't have to work to get them excited about the coaster. Even if all they were getting was a petting zoo expansion they would still renew their passes.

I'm talking less about the people that endlessly speculate and more about the people that will go to park several times this season and see a gigantic new coaster being built right before their eyes. Those who purposely ignore the leaks and images will still have it spoiled for them when they visit the park in May.

If you're following the leaks closely, you have no right to complain about the surprise element of this announcement.

I still do not see them opeenning a ride mid Season. Also the think about the pictures that i don't understand is that they have an American flag on the top of the turn. I thought they always did that as a topping of the highest part of the ride?

It's going to be launched of course...

I'm talking less about the people that endlessly speculate and more about the people that will go to park several times this season and see a gigantic new coaster being built right before their eyes. Those who purposely ignore the leaks and images will still have it spoiled for them when they visit the park in May.

If you're following the leaks closely, you have no right to complain about the surprise element of this announcement.

Yeah, I get that but I still think you're giving people way too much credit. People will see that the park is building something awesome, but I still think they'll be surprised / excited by the announcement. People really don't pay much attention.

I personally think of the announcement as "spoiling" the ride. It tells you what the ride will be. You talk about it in the sense that the announcement is something magnificent and is the main experience in itself. I feel like you should be excited to ride the ride and not excited to hear the announcement. The announcement is to create hype and there is already hype, so an announcement at this time is unnecessary. I honestly like how they are "announcing" this piece by piece, because it will keep us more interested for a longer period of time.

It is like Christmas. No matter what you will open the presents on Christmas. With an announcement all the presents are put under the tree. You can see all of them, but you can't open them until Christmas. What they are doing now is putting one present out at a time. All the presents will get under the tree, but won't be there until later. The fun in this is that you won't know how many awesome elements this ride will have until the ride is completed.

^^I like that analogy.

I just saw the photo too and boy, I don't know what to make of it either, but it looks like this thing could have some serious air, and seriously crazy elements. And that's judging off this one picture, we still know nothing about the rest of the ride.

My boyfriend still doesn't believe anything is happening with Mean Streak, or he's seriously trolling me Every time I bring it up, he says something along the lines of, "That ride is so rough and crappy!"

Despite the fact that we rode SC together last year and had an amazing time, he doesn't get it, and I think his feelings would be representative of most of the "GP" at this point. He wouldn't know anything if it wasn't for me, and the few others I've told don't seem to get it either. We're the only ones that are like, "DUH it's RMC and it's epic!" I think plenty of people think it was/is being demolished or they just haven't thought anything of it since it closed, so for them an announcement will be shocking.

I do agree that I hope they announce it before park opening in May, so that seeing it in person doesn't ruin the "surprise" the way an announcement would.

Also, from the Chill-Out site:

Photography (video or still) and social media posting is allowed on the tour, unless otherwise noted by your tour guide. There will be areas where photography will not be permitted.

I hope they might take us to see it, even though I know that means photography will not be permitted.

I personally think of the announcement as "spoiling" the ride. It tells you what the ride will be. You talk about it in the sense that the announcement is something magnificent and is the main experience in itself. I feel like you should be excited to ride the ride and not excited to hear the announcement. The announcement is to create hype and there is already hype, so an announcement at this time is unnecessary. I honestly like how they are "announcing" this piece by piece, because it will keep us more interested for a longer period of time.

It is like Christmas. No matter what you will open the presents on Christmas. With an announcement all the presents are put under the tree. You can see all of them, but you can't open them until Christmas. What they are doing now is putting one present out at a time. All the presents will get under the tree, but won't be there until later. The fun in this is that you won't know how many awesome elements this ride will have until the ride is completed.