TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Fury325 is in my backyard and I can tell you I am originally from Kings Mills and when MF opened, it was by FAR the best coaster I had ever been on...even growing up near KI and loving the Beast. All I can say is you guys owe it to yourself to visit Carowinds and ride Fury 325. I agree with Rob, most B&M's are just too floaty for me, but what makes Fury325 great (I believe) is the combination of float + ejecter + quick transitions all combined. And lets not forget about the wicked SPEED.

OMG....Is it 3/25 yet?? I need my fix

Millennium Force is fun, every time!

But... the only steel coaster that has me going out of the way, more and more since my first ride on it in 1990, is Mind Bender in Georgia. There is something so simple about some of those Anton rides that is so perfect. A great variety of forces and pacing, and super-comfortable 70's style trains. Those seats are just right; you are safe but still get plenty of lateral side-to-side time. The luxury (and rarity) of being able to "crush your friend" on steel coaster curves!

Back to Cedar Point! Yup, I love MF too! I really enjoy the view from the first drop! This may sound a bit odd, but my favorite parts are the flat (and curved - but still flat) sections close to the ground. That awesome straight section near the end. Straight track is underrated! I hope the new coaster has some.

. . Straight track is underrated! I hope the new coaster has some.

I can't tell if you are trolling, or being serious. . .

Being serious Beast used to be awesome and fast as hell... those flat sections were awesome speeding through the woods. I always say my last "fast" ride on The Beast was during it's 10 anniversary celebration, in 1989. I'm lucky to have ridden some kick butt rides when they were still kick butt.

Yeah, I have a strange fascination with flat sections of track. It's like a scenic railway or a train, but fast. Those little slices of heaven: the flat track under Gemini's first drop; the Great America Demon's "disco tunnel"; those 3 flat sections that make Apollo's Chariot different from the rest. Love those flat sections. I like variety rides the most.

Dragster has some pretty wicked straight track

That was seriously the first thing I thought of. . .

Being serious Beast used to be awesome and fast as hell... those flat sections were awesome speeding through the woods. I always say my last "fast" ride on The Beast was during it's 10 anniversary celebration, in 1989. I'm lucky to have ridden some kick butt rides when they were still kick butt.

Yeah, I have a strange fascination with flat sections of track. It's like a scenic railway or a train, but fast. Those little slices of heaven: the flat track under Gemini's first drop; the Great America Demon's "disco tunnel"; those 3 flat sections that make Apollo's Chariot different from the rest. Love those flat sections. I like variety rides the most.

Now that you describe it, it makes more sense! I do agree that some of the flat sections on Beast are awesome, I can only imagine how much more amazing they were back in the day.

I love this MF reminiscing thread. I waited 16 years to finally ride MF, and absolutely loved the ride. My first giga was i305 which was absolutely insane, and then I rode Fury 325 which was also amazing. By the time I rode MF I expected it to be "Millennium Force-less" but was quite impressed with how awesome and damn fun it was. Millie is one of the most fun coasters out there, if you ride it and don't enjoy it you need to think about your life. The station queue and station music really get you amped, the opening drop is iconic, the first overbank is quite forceful, and the rest of the layout is pure speed, grace, and fun. I even agree that the final section of straight track is awesome given it's placement. Zooming over the queue is the perfect end for the ride.

I rank MF and Fury about equal, they are both amazing for different reasons. I think Fury is technically the better coaster, but the setting of MF really adds a lot to the experience. I too can't wait to hear Robb's thoughts on Fury 325. I think Fury strikes a great balance between the fun of MF and the intensity of i305 without alienating some of the weaker riders that can't handle the Gs. We are truly blessed to live in a country with all 3 coasters.

I think the reason why Millennium Force isn't ranked as highly for me is that the beginning is so amazing, but the rest of the ride is nice, but it's just so overshadowed by the first part. Now obviously having the crazy first drop and turn is tons of fun, but it doesn't feel consistent to me. Still an amazing coaster, though!

I think the reason why Millennium Force isn't ranked as highly for me is that the beginning is so amazing, but the rest of the ride is nice, but it's just so overshadowed by the first part. Now obviously having the crazy first drop and turn is tons of fun, but it doesn't feel consistent to me. Still an amazing coaster, though!

As amazing as the first drop is, the ending is incredible. The hill into the low to the ground turn then flying by the station and queue and going into the over banked turn is even more amazing.

The ending of Millennium Force is incredible IMO. Also one of, if not my favorite endings.

What's funny about Fury is that in our "coaster circle" of friends, I get the *exact* same mixed reactions that MF gets. Some swear by it and say it's the best thing ever. Others liked it, but wasn't impressed and didn't live up to the hype. I'll finally get out there this summer to ride and see for myself.

Fury 325 is easily the most amazing steel coaster out there. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Well, I'm going in with an open mind, but every other B&M that someone has told me "this is the most amazing coaster..." I ended up feeling like it was grossly overrated and wasn't my thing. But who knows, maybe after 12 other B&M hyper/gigas that haven't really done much for me, maybe this will be the one?

For the record, Nitro is my favorite of all the B&M hypers, and if I did any sort of ranking, I would still give it a solid "B" in comparison to all the other coaster I've ridden.

I always try to have an open mind when it comes to any ride. Even if everyone on the planet hates it, I want to see first hand for myself. I completely agree with your opinions on B&M hypers. I personally don't find them to be all that exciting either. I appreciate them and all, and they are solid rides for the most part, but just not my cup of tea. I feel like Fury is very different though. It has its own unique design instead of just the hill after hill concept. The last hyper that was this unique was Raging Bull, but that thing rarely makes people's top coasters list. My favorite of them right now is Goliath at La Ronde, and it isn't on my top coasters list by a long shot.

That's also cool Cedar Point lets you know so early in advance what ride you will be working. I'm a supervisor and I still have no idea what ride GADV wants to place me at and we open a whole month earlier. If you hire in as a team member, you don't find out your placement typically until a week or two before the season starts. Is this part of like a slightly different program CP offers or does CP always let you know this early in advance?

CP always lets us know this early. Hiring for the season (note: this all applies to the rides department, I can't speak for the others.) begins in mid January. They start with hiring our Area Supervisors, then go to specific Ride Supervisors, Team Leaders, and Crew Members in that order. For everybody who worked the previous season and is returning, the rides managers call us and offer us a position on a specific ride, so you know what ride you're on before you even begin hiring paperwork. If we accept our Job offer then we go onto the hiring process. If you're brand new to Cedar Point you'll get a Skype Interview and if you're hired they'll tell you what ride you're placed on before the call is over.

Me and the other employees get so hyped for what we call "Placement Time" to find out where everybody gets placed throughout the park, There's an employees only group we post our placement news and even a website for us to see who all is hired and where they're placed. There's already over 100 ride ops hired for the 2017 season so far. We're a big department though total there's going to be around 600 people hired for rides this season and lots more people to be placed!

Wow that's a great way to do things. Definitely more organized than GADV. (Am I surprised? Not at all lol)

As I've written in other posts before, there's something about Millennium Force that's greater than the sum of its parts. The flagship coaster of the flagship amusement park on the planet will always carry a lot of clout. The coaster's history, location, drop, scale, the fact that it's a beloved Intamin, etc. etc. pads a legacy that goes beyond any one element. I always thought of it as the Tyrannosaurus Rex of the coaster world: bigger, faster, &/or more agile creatures have been discovered since, but it's the T-Rex that features in movies, kids draw in the margins of their homework papers, and everybody knows.

I enjoyed Fury a lot, but still prefer coasters like the Ride of Steel cousins just a bit more. To me, Fury is a really good, complete ride with a superb drop & more airtime than most mega coasters, but there's something in the *feel* of the B&M style that always makes me think "that was high quality and exceedingly pleasant" rather than "Fun!" (Millennium), or "Crazy!" (Maverick), or "OMG!" (TTD).

I'm loving hearing all of this love for Millennium Force! Sometimes I feel like one of the few voices of reason when all this Millennium Forceless nonsense starts getting bandied about, so it's nice to see so many refute that notion as well!

If a 300 foot, nearly vertical drop and a average speed probably >50MPH doesn't do it for you, you need to get out of this hobby and take up racing sport bikes or something. You're wasting your money and time.

Millie is one of the most fun coasters out there, if you ride it and don't enjoy it you need to think about your life.

Some of my closest friends in the coaster enthusiast community really need to read those comments, and take them to heart! I love them (the people), but they are out to lunch in their assessment of MF, that is for certain!

1. Somebody must've threatened to sue TPR.

2. Does this ban apply to pictures taken of Mean Streak during park sanctioned events and park operating hours?

Banned for being an idiot. Sorry, we just don't need any more stupid people on TPR.

I apologize for my post. I wasn't trying to be stupid and am sincerely sorry if it came across being stupid. I was just trying to get clarification of the new Mean Streak Photo rule. My Apologies.

So let me get this straight. We banned you for being an idiot, and what do you do? You go and create a new screen name to get around that ban to make ANOTHER post still talking about the thing that you were being stupid about.

Let me clarify two things for you:

1. If you weren't a moron, you wouldn't need "clarification" as my instruction was already clear enough.

2. Your second account was banned for breaking our forum rules and continuing to be the idiot that got you banned in the first place.

[attachment=0]Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg[/attachment]

I rode millie for the first time in 2014 in mayfly season and it was a REALLY fun ride. But i like getting thrown around more so rides like maverick and LR solidly ramk above it for me. But i must say, the last bit of the ride i just loved. so. much. that tiny hill packed a massive punch then just flying by the queue and hitting the awkward looking overbank only to find it clean and consistent was just glourious.

I am not sure if its just the fact that I rode Maverick first but I was definitely ho-hum after my first ride on MF. So much hype and build up over the years and I couldn't help be a little let down. I totally get when people say that. Its fun as hell and one of my favorite rides but it just didn't blow me away the way that rides like Skyrush, Maverick and I305 did. Great drop and incredible speed but other than that its mostly turns. Riding it in the dark was absolutely amazing though and those night rides are solely why I rate it so highly.

I think my main issue with Millennium Force is that it was so over hyped. I went in expecting it to be the best coasters in the world. . . And it just wasn't. I was expecting it to be mind blowing, and again, it just wasn't. . . Same issues I had with i305. Neither of these coasters are "bad" coasters, they just get so much hype that if you go in expecting them to be life changing amazing rides you're going to end up disappointed.

That being said, now that I have learned that a coaster can still be fun without having to be mind blowing, I greatly enjoyed MF. The height is good, the speed is good, the airtime is goodish, depending on the seat. It just, to me personally, isn't all that great. Fun? Yes. Top ten coaster? No.

But, hey... To each their own!

I think my main issue with Millennium Force is that it was so over hyped. I went in expecting it to be the best coasters in the world. . . And it just wasn't. I was expecting it to be mind blowing, and again, it just wasn't. . . Same issues I had with i305. Neither of these coasters are "bad" coasters, they just get so much hype that if you go in expecting them to be life changing amazing rides you're going to end up disappointed.!

Agreed 100% on MF but I305 blew my mind all over my face. I still can't believe that thing exists. It should be illegal.

Evidently...

No what I really posted got censored

Um, no it didn't.

[attachment=0]Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg[/attachment]

Lets just let bygones be bygones. Also I was hugely disappointed after riding Millennium Force after hearing it being talked up for so long. Not saying it isn't a good ride, because it is my number 1 steel coaster but, it took it a while for me to truly appreciate it. There's a reason this ride is Werner Stengel's favorite ride he designed