TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm inclined to agree with what most people are saying here, but one of the other reasons Millennium Force remains one of my favorites is just how gorgeous it is. That support work, especially at night, never fails to make my jaw drop. Between its lakeside location facing Sandusky, the first hill, and that huge overbank, I'm struggling to think of any coaster that's as picturesque.

Yea I never got why many people say MForce is boring or forceless either. Like yea MForce maybe not be as forceful as let say Mavrick but it does have a killer drop,height,and speed. I love that huge adrenaline rush you got on super tall steep drops so thats why I enjoy MForce so much. So far its my favorite coaster. Here is my thought on CP's "Big Four" and why I think they are so awesome in their own ways. Mforce has the awesome "free fall" feeling tall drop,height and speed. Mavrick has the intense transitions and that out of control feeling as well as that super steep drop and of course the launching. Magnum is great for its intense ejector air time. Top Thrill is great for its intense speed and super tall height. But if I had to pick I say MForce is still my favorite because my all time favorite coaster element is the free fall like drops that seem to last forever. Of course though I love many other coaster elements/features too. Imagine if they made one awesome mega coaster that combined MForces drop but with TTDs speed and height,the out of control feeling and fast intense transitions of Mavrick and awesome ejector air time of Magnum! Now that would be one heck of a coaster!!

Have you been on Intimidator 305? Sounds like that coaster might be right up your alley. Personally, that one's a bit too savage to place higher in my rankings, but it's still very, very good all things considered.

You can also legally and safely experience those speeds on Millennium Force. I wouldn't be able to trust the other drivers on the road on a motorcycle, let alone if I go 90 mph on one.

Fury is the only steel coaster I've ridden that's better than Millennium Force. I'm going purely off of my own enjoyment of the ride and I absolutely love the ride's setting, sustained speed, and the hills it does have are all outstanding. Sure the ride doesn't stack intense elements back to back like Intimidator 305 but it doesn't need to for me to love it.

442706464_ScreenShot2017-02-07at13_33_48.png.fd173fde9bd12f21e053bd896700d70e.png

Dear people of the internet, there is no "conspiracy" going on. We are not being "targeted" and the park has asked EVERYONE to not allow the posting of construction photos. If another website is allowing them, that means they are going against Cedar Point's requests and the do not value a relationship with the management of the park. I will say this once again since over the past 24 hours I have now received several emails and messages over social media and seen random postings on other pages talking about this thread....

DON'T POST MEAN STREAK CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS!!!

Why is this so hard for people to understand? Oh, wait, I know the answer to that. The world is stupid.

Edited by robbalvey

If a 300 foot, nearly vertical drop and a average speed probably >50MPH doesn't do it for you, you need to get out of this hobby and take up racing sport bikes or something. You're wasting your money and time.

I'm an absolute sucker for speed. Rides like Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster (in the front row) blow me away just by blasting down 1000 feet of perfectly straight track at ridiculously high speeds. I guess that makes me a terrible coaster enthusiast since I should probably prefer the intricacies / g forces of some other perfectly "hearlined", snappy piece of swiss designed who-gives-a-f*ck (and I do love those rides), but any coaster that's solely based on relentless speed will win my over every single time even if that's pretty much all it has going for it.

And last, the website! Man I miss that animated skyline shot they used to have of the park with all the coasters going through their circuits! That was so cool! Does anyone remember that or am I aging myself? How long has it been since they took that away?

^ I used to love that animated skyline as well. I think they removed it around 2010?

I think aging yourself only comes into play if you remember the "original" animated skyline (the pixelated animated GIF) that was in the header of the website, circa late-2001. The second generation of the animated skyline was definitely a lot more fun, allowing you to toggle which rides to animate/operate. Wish I could find a version of that that still worked.

As for the new website, I like that they finally are cross-device with it. Hated the mobile website previously. Not a huge fan of the design and new logo as it looks a little cookie-cutter to me, but definitely an upgrade in most areas. From the web dev side in me I'm glad to see they aren't running on ASP/NET anymore. I wish ASP a slow and painful death.

Millennium Force, at its strongest, produces negative g-sensations that are less powerful than pretty much any of the B&M hypers.

Correct. But for whatever reason, and I honestly cannot explain it, I just like Millennium Force WAAAAAAAAY more than any B&M hyper. I find myself mostly bored on B&M hypers, but for some reason on MF, I throw my hands up in the air and I just have a kickass amazing time all the way around. I don't know what it is about that ride that I love so much, keeping in mind it is probably close to being my least favorite of the Intamin "non inverting coasters that go really really fast or have lots of airtime" (I can't say hyper or giga because I even include mega-lites in my description) but I most certainly like it better than all of the B&M hypers I've been on so far.

Edited by robbalvey

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 13.33.48.png[/attachment]

Dear people of the internet, there is no "conspiracy" going on. We are not being "targeted" and the park has asked EVERYONE to not allow the posting of construction photos. If another website is allowing them, that means they are going against Cedar Point's requests and the do not value a relationship with the management of the park. I will say this once again since over the past 24 hours I have now received several emails and messages over social media and seen random postings on other pages talking about this thread....

DON'T POST MEAN STREAK CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS!!!

Why is this so hard for people to understand? Oh, wait, I know the answer to that. The world is stupid.

Feel free to ignore me, but if it's possible, perhaps someone could rename the thread to Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread (Mean Streak Construction Photos = BAN) or something along those lines, so it is quite visible on every page.

Are you working Millennium Force again this year?

Nope, I'll be at Valravn this season!

That's also cool Cedar Point lets you know so early in advance what ride you will be working. I'm a supervisor and I still have no idea what ride GADV wants to place me at and we open a whole month earlier. If you hire in as a team member, you don't find out your placement typically until a week or two before the season starts. Is this part of like a slightly different program CP offers or does CP always let you know this early in advance?

CP always lets us know this early. Hiring for the season (note: this all applies to the rides department, I can't speak for the others.) begins in mid January. They start with hiring our Area Supervisors, then go to specific Ride Supervisors, Team Leaders, and Crew Members in that order. For everybody who worked the previous season and is returning, the rides managers call us and offer us a position on a specific ride, so you know what ride you're on before you even begin hiring paperwork. If we accept our Job offer then we go onto the hiring process. If you're brand new to Cedar Point you'll get a Skype Interview and if you're hired they'll tell you what ride you're placed on before the call is over.

Me and the other employees get so hyped for what we call "Placement Time" to find out where everybody gets placed throughout the park, There's an employees only group we post our placement news and even a website for us to see who all is hired and where they're placed. There's already over 100 ride ops hired for the 2017 season so far. We're a big department though total there's going to be around 600 people hired for rides this season and lots more people to be placed!

Millennium Force, at its strongest, produces negative g-sensations that are less powerful than pretty much any of the B&M hypers.

Correct. But for whatever reason, and I honestly cannot explain it, I just like Millennium Force WAAAAAAAAY more than any B&M hyper. I find myself mostly bored on B&M hypers, but for some reason on MF, I throw my hands up in the air and I just have a kickass amazing time all the way around. I don't know what it is about that ride that I love so much, keeping in mind it is probably close to being my least favorite of the Intamin "non inverting coasters that go really really fast or have lots of airtime" (I can't say hyper or giga because I even include mega-lites in my description) but I most certainly like it better than all of the B&M hypers I've been on so far.

While I have not yet been to Cedar Point, I plan to ride each coaster there with an open mind. I have a bunch of friends who have ridden Millennium Force, and I have heard mixed opinions left and right. I am looking forward to it, as it is a world renowned and highly praised ride. Not sure what I will think of it honestly, since I went on Bizarro at SFNE with very high expectations due to it's popularity, and was not blown away. Both rank as two of the best steel coasters in the world. Maverick and Dragster are my most sought out CP coasters to ride, as well as Mean Streak once it reopens.

In regards to B&M hypers, while I am not a huge fan, I still greatly appreciate them and have my few exceptions. Fury 325 is easily one of my most sought after coasters to get on. It looks incredible beyond words.

I'm inclined to agree with what most people are saying here, but one of the other reasons Millennium Force remains one of my favorites is just how gorgeous it is. That support work, especially at night, never fails to make my jaw drop. Between its lakeside location facing Sandusky, the first hill, and that huge overbank, I'm struggling to think of any coaster that's as picturesque.

Yea I never got why many people say MForce is boring or forceless either. Like yea MForce maybe not be as forceful as let say Mavrick but it does have a killer drop,height,and speed. I love that huge adrenaline rush you got on super tall steep drops so thats why I enjoy MForce so much. So far its my favorite coaster. Here is my thought on CP's "Big Four" and why I think they are so awesome in their own ways. Mforce has the awesome "free fall" feeling tall drop,height and speed. Mavrick has the intense transitions and that out of control feeling as well as that super steep drop and of course the launching. Magnum is great for its intense ejector air time. Top Thrill is great for its intense speed and super tall height. But if I had to pick I say MForce is still my favorite because my all time favorite coaster element is the free fall like drops that seem to last forever. Of course though I love many other coaster elements/features too. Imagine if they made one awesome mega coaster that combined MForces drop but with TTDs speed and height,the out of control feeling and fast intense transitions of Mavrick and awesome ejector air time of Magnum! Now that would be one heck of a coaster!!

Have you been on Intimidator 305? Sounds like that coaster might be right up your alley. Personally, that one's a bit too savage to place higher in my rankings, but it's still very, very good all things considered.

No i haven't but i soooo want to ride that coaster one day...that and Fury325. Both are top on my "what i want to ride" list

No i haven't but i soooo want to ride that coaster one day...that and Fury325. Both are top on my "what i want to ride" list

The only version of I305 that I've ridden was with the trims on the first drop. Even though the ride never broke 80, it still kicked lots of behind. However, after widening the first turn, removing the trims on the first drop, and as of only a few short months ago, removing some of the trims on the last cammelback (which I hear has ejector airtime now), I hear it's running the best it ever has. That is why it is now back on my top 5 most sought after coasters to ride list. Now that it's back to doing 90+mph and running full force, I can't wait to give it another spin.

Regarding Fury, there is no question that thing looks fantastic.

While I have not yet been to Cedar Point, I plan to ride each coaster there with an open mind. I have a bunch of friends who have ridden Millennium Force, and I have heard mixed opinions left and right. I am looking forward to it, as it is a world renowned and highly praised ride. Not sure what I will think of it honestly, since I went on Bizarro at SFNE with very high expectations due to it's popularity, and was not blown away. Both rank as two of the best steel coasters in the world. Maverick and Dragster are my most sought out CP coasters to ride, as well as Mean Streak once it reopens.

In regards to B&M hypers, while I am not a huge fan, I still greatly appreciate them and have my few exceptions. Fury 325 is easily one of my most sought after coasters to get on. It looks incredible beyond words.

What's funny about Fury is that in our "coaster circle" of friends, I get the *exact* same mixed reactions that MF gets. Some swear by it and say it's the best thing ever. Others liked it, but wasn't impressed and didn't live up to the hype. I'll finally get out there this summer to ride and see for myself.

What's funny about Fury is that in our "coaster circle" of friends, I get the *exact* same mixed reactions that MF gets. Some swear by it and say it's the best thing ever. Others liked it, but wasn't impressed and didn't live up to the hype. I'll finally get out there this summer to ride and see for myself.

Fury 325 is easily the most amazing steel coaster out there. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Edited by robbalvey

Fury 325 is easily the most amazing steel coaster out there. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Well, I'm going in with an open mind, but every other B&M that someone has told me "this is the most amazing coaster..." I ended up feeling like it was grossly overrated and wasn't my thing. But who knows, maybe after 12 other B&M hyper/gigas that haven't really done much for me, maybe this will be the one?

For the record, Nitro is my favorite of all the B&M hypers, and if I did any sort of ranking, I would still give it a solid "B" in comparison to all the other coaster I've ridden.

I'm honestly very curious to hear your thoughts on Fury when you get to ride it. I agree with you completely on the other B&M hypers blending together. I enjoy all of them a ton but they're not top tier rides (and that includes Leviathan). I expected Fury to be similar to Leviathan but it completely blew it to hell. I know we have different tastes so I don't expect you to declare it a top 10 ride like I did, but I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeds your expectations by quite a bit.

Scenery aside, I think MF is loved by so many people because Millennium Force stays fast af the whole time without any MCBR. Steel Dragon is more forceful than MF but the first two hills are sort of like B&M hypers, you go really fast then slow down and float through the top of a hill. I mean you float through the second hill of MF too but you stay really fast when you float through it so air is constantly rushing past your face. On B&M hypers, while you're floating, the train is relatively slow as you top the airtime hills.

The thing I've found about MF is that when it opened, there was simply nothing like it in the world and is still a part of a rare breed of coasters, which is why its reputation has stuck. It emerged out of the newly found resurgence in Hyper coasters coming out of B&M and Intamin and it was in a league of it's own. Obviously now, 17 years later, wilder and more extreme coasters have been built, but it's still held up.

To me, MF is all about pure speed and grace... big sweeping overbanks, curves, and hills with forces and speed that don't aggressively throw you all over the place, but gracefully just all flow together. When it comes to everyones opinion about it, it's really all dependent on what each person looks to get out of their coasters. I'm on the side that does think it's a bit overhyped, but there's no denying about the pure and raw fun every ride on it has.... That is unless you're getting a face full of those infamous Cedar Point gnats up in the front row though