TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Was checking out the Cedar Point Shores water park website and noticed that the new children's area is called Lemmy's Lagoon. It mentions that Lemmy is the name of Lake Erie's "legendary monster". Can't say that I have ever heard of Lemmy...other than this guy.

Oh yeah, the swim up bar is now called "Muffleheads Beach Bar"....LOVE it!

Edit: for all you drinkers out there, there is also going to be a new bar by the wave pool called Schooner's Bayside Bar.

Loving the new look of Soak City already!

Cleveland's AHL team is the Monsters... Great Lakes Brewing also does an IPA called "Lake Erie Monster". The story is known around the region, although the name Bessie is more commonly used...

I've heard of the legend of the Lake Erie Monster and have also visited Great Lakes Brewing a couple of times (and had Lake Erie Monster - yum)...I just never heard anyone call it "Lemmy" before.

I also remember when they had a replica of the Lake Erie Monster in the river near Huron on Rt. 2 coming into Sandusky...anyone else remember that? I think that it's been gone for a while now, unfortunately.

Let me tell y'all a little yarn about my first interaction with Lake Erie Monster...

A few years back, we stayed at Geneva On The Lake, which is a touristy summer community just northeast of Cleveland on the lake. We were on a trip back from CP and just decided that this place looked too retro and cool to not check out, so we got a hotel right on the lake.

The people that ran the hotel were all down on the beach partying and invited us to come down for a drink (which we of course did). They told us if we had ever "done the Lake Erie Monster challenge". Of course we laughed and asked what the hell they were talking about!

Turns out that they have a Lake Erie Monster drinking challenge where you get a card and then have to have a drink at every bar on the strip (I think that there were 12 or 13). At each one, you got your card punched after you ordered a drink and then when you got all of them punched, you got a t-shirt that said that you conquered the Lake Erie Monster challenge.

So we ended up getting pretty sh%t-faced that night and when we got up the next day, we realized that there were two bars that we never made it to! Troopers that we are, we visited those last two bars, had two beers at like noon, got our t-shirts and then headed home!

I heard Geneva on the Lake used to have a mini amusement park at one point. Never heard of the place(amusement park or the small town) though until I joined this site. But of course they got rid of it. So I'm guessing GotL is more of the "grown up" alternative to Sandusky. Like instead of the great mega amusement park and abundance of water park hotels its more about partying and couples strolling on the beach. Meh that sounds ok and all but since im a kid at heart and LOVE coasters Ill take Sandusky over Geneva anyday!! Nothing against drinking though as its fun to do sometimes but it wouldnt be my main vacation choice .(like it would be a side thing id like to do during a vacation but not as mainly the ONLY thing I'd do like many others would.) As for the tranquil romantic strolls and mani/pedi and spa type stuff......yawns and lame sauce!!

^^ Yeah, the amusement park is gone, but they do have stuff like mini-golf, a mini water park and a lot of cool retro arcades, shooting galleries and stuff like that.

It's not quite all about partying....it's like a retro place from the 60's that hasn't been taken over by corporate America...yet.

I have a possible name for RMC Mean Streak: Lightning Bolt (Mean Streak's logo included a lightning bolt and RMC already has a ride named Lightning Rod; rumor has it RMC Streak will be the tallest and fastest RMC hybrid [but will have a chain lift]).

Not to turn down that name, but it makes me think of this...

I think it would be cool to theme the ride to a sheriff character that looks to take down Maverick (an outlaw) and protect Frontier Town, creating the ultimate roller coaster showdown, western style (Intamin vs RMC ). The only thing I can't think of is an actual ride name that would work with that kind of marketing.

I have a possible name for RMC Mean Streak: Lightning Bolt (Mean Streak's logo included a lightning bolt and RMC already has a ride named Lightning Rod; rumor has it RMC Streak will be the tallest and fastest RMC hybrid [but will have a chain lift]).

Lightning Bolt?? Yeah, I'm not feeling that name. I'm hoping Cedar Point keeps the name similar to Mean Streak. Like, Iron Streak, New Mean Streak. . Something like that. . .

Regardless of what they name it the GP will still refer to it as Mean Streak. . . Hell, they could name it The Flying Purple People Eater and the GP would still refer to it as Mean Streak.

But knowing Cedar Point they are going to end up naming it something no one can pronounce.

Was checking out the Cedar Point Shores water park website and noticed that the new children's area is called Lemmy's Lagoon. It mentions that Lemmy is the name of Lake Erie's "legendary monster". Can't say that I have ever heard of Lemmy...other than this guy.

Oh yeah, the swim up bar is now called "Muffleheads Beach Bar"....LOVE it!

Edit: for all you drinkers out there, there is also going to be a new bar by the wave pool called Schooner's Bayside Bar.

Loving the new look of Soak City already!

Scanning through the last few pages (to see if there was anything worth taking time to stop for...) and I saw a picture of Lemmy. Thank you! My day just got a little better.

Oh yeah, and I used to be a drinker, now I'm in recovery. I hope Lemmy is enjoying his drink up there!

I thought the Lake Erie Monster would be a GREAT name, but it's already been used a few times around the area. Plus, CP would have to rename their current Monster. Which looks great with it's new-ish paint job. Man that cycle is short though!

Just checking in on the RMC Mean Streak project, do we have any more pictures of track other than the first 1/3 of lift hill and that super steep pull up?

Also, for people that followed other RMCs, how complete were the coasters 4 months out from launch?

Damn I hope it comes in 2017. I know I sound like a broken record, but I feel like they just started way too early for a 2018 release, even closing down the ride a month early.

And then there is the argument that "oh they would have started marketing already". I feel like with these RMCs they can market it as a "remake" but when the GP hears they are remaking some mediocre wooden rollercoaster, they don't get as hyped as a "200 FOOT STRAIGHT DOWN NEW WORLD RECORD BREAKING DROP" like with valravn.

I am also really interested to see the whole layout. Six Flags RMCs for the most part are fantastic but each one is missing SOMETHING and some feel a bit short for wooden coasters, which are usually quite long. Being the first Cedar Fair RMC, and the sheer magnitude of space that Mean Streak took up, this one is going to be GOOD. Cedar Point was always missing a chart-topping wooden coaster, and RMC Mean Streak could put Cedar Point in #1 for both steel and wooden (or now #2 for steel, fury 325...)

Oh also, lets say I lived in sandusky and had my drone with me. The drone takes 4k really good quality photos and videos, 100x better than the grainy images we have now. From google maps, the shore of sandusky to mean streak is about 2.5 KM, which my drone can easily handle and get probably 5 minutes of photo taking time. What is there to stop me from taking videos/photos of mean streak from the position OVER THE WATER? Stressing the fact that the drone is over the water and not over cedar point land, would that be considered as trespassing? Does cedar point own the water?

I am pretty surprised no one has done this, especially because its just so easy to do. The whole journey would be under 25 minutes and considering how rare and bad quality the images we are getting are, the demand is definitely there.

I know that if I lived in sandusky, I think it would be pretty cool to take out the drone once or twice per week to track the construction process and be able to timelapse the photos over time

^ I agree with you. I was on the 2017 boat as well, because it just simply made sense. But, I am starting to have to lean toward 2018 now. Track work (at least that we have been able to see) is not quite far along enough to make a 2017 opening (at least at the beginning of the season). And I just cant see CP not marketing this coaster at this point if it were going to be for 2017.

let's say I had my drone with me. What is there to stop me from taking videos/photos of mean streak from the position OVER THE WATER? Stressing the fact that the drone is over the water and not over cedar point land, would that be considered as trespassing?

While I am not well-versed in Sandusky's FAA regulations/where the boundaries are, I would not be surprised if Tony had an anti-aircraft gun in case of nosy drones.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on Pointbuzz. If you're feeling extra nerdy today go and read through it but I must warn you that (as with most threads on Pointbuzz) you might be tempted to blow your brains out by the time you reach the end of the thread.

While I'm a member of PointBuzz myself and I love it, I can second this. That particular thread is a big fustercluck, and I try not to be too active on it.

Oh also, lets say I lived in sandusky and had my drone with me. The drone takes 4k really good quality photos and videos, 100x better than the grainy images we have now. From google maps, the shore of sandusky to mean streak is about 2.5 KM, which my drone can easily handle and get probably 5 minutes of photo taking time. What is there to stop me from taking videos/photos of mean streak from the position OVER THE WATER? Stressing the fact that the drone is over the water and not over cedar point land, would that be considered as trespassing? Does cedar point own the water?

I am pretty surprised no one has done this, especially because its just so easy to do. The whole journey would be under 25 minutes and considering how rare and bad quality the images we are getting are, the demand is definitely there.

I know that if I lived in sandusky, I think it would be pretty cool to take out the drone once or twice per week to track the construction process and be able to timelapse the photos over time

Did you read any of the FAA regulations when you registered your drone? Cause I'm thinking you haven't read them based on the questions you have.

Ohio's law is that as long as it's 100 ft above the ground and not being used for law enforcement purposes it's legal

Praise God! The FAA enthusiasts have arrived to save everyone from misinformation! Who the **** reads FAA regulations in their spare time?

I have a possible name for RMC Mean Streak: Lightning Bolt.

RMC has already had its fill of lightning named coasters...

As far as the name goes, I tossed my quarter in the wishing well for something terrible. Like "Brown Coaster 1" or "The Pride of Sandusky." Basically anything that will cause a select portion of the coaster enthusiast community to lose their minds.

Oh, and I hope it has the most basic two dimensional logo ever created, pulled straight from Microsoft Word, using black Times New Roman font, and a rainbow drawn in cheap crayon from Mrs. Smith's third grade class at Sandusky Elementary School, on a coffee stained piece of paper.

I have a possible name for RMC Mean Streak: Lightning Bolt.

RMC has already had its fill of lightning named coasters...

As far as the name goes, I tossed my quarter in the wishing well for something terrible. Like "Brown Coaster 1" or "The Pride of Sandusky." Basically anything that will cause a select portion of the coaster enthusiast community to lose their minds.

Oh, and I hope it has the most basic two dimensional logo ever created, pulled straight from Microsoft Word, using black Times New Roman font, and a rainbow drawn in cheap crayon from Mrs. Smith's third grade class at Sandusky Elementary School, on a coffee stained piece of paper.

Okay, thread over, this guy wins