TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Speaking of theme park food I noticed somethings about it. I often heard older folks mentioned how their childhood local parks(many that im sure are long gone now) had the best chowders,crab cakes,taffies,pop corn treats etc. and even today a lot of small family owned parks have some flagship food item or items. However when it comes to corporate parks usually the food gets a bad rep. I wonder how can a small family owned park have such good foods a lot of the time but corporate parks which makes tons of money often only make mediocre food. However i never had any one-of-a-kind amusement parks foods just typical amusement park foods. Most of I had was just ok. Not horrible but nothing special either. I do enjoy Johnny Rockets though but I assume thats more of a fastfood place then amusement park food. But yea i find it interesting how people would say "back in the day so-and-so park had the BEST frozen custard and out of this world tacos!" So what made amusement park food because so mediocre compare to back in the day?

They better bring that hibachi truck back. I love the food truck festival, Cedar Point's food sucks.

Preaching to the choir right now. I'd rather they just let it go to concessionaires and let them worry about finding bodies or staffing it themselves. They still have a couple of them in the park as weird never-ending contracts like the china shop lady, so just do it across the board. I would probably spend way more time if I could get that food constantly there.

I had no idea that china shop lady was an outside contractor. We always pop in there, they have some of the only theme park Christmas ornaments that aren't dorky as hell and we've been known to buy a few.

when it comes to corporate parks usually the food gets a bad rep. I wonder how can a small family owned park have such good foods a lot of the time but corporate parks which makes tons of money often only make mediocre food.

McDonald's vs a Mom 'n Pop shop on Main Street U.S.A. Which would you rather get a burger from? Why?

when it comes to corporate parks usually the food gets a bad rep. I wonder how can a small family owned park have such good foods a lot of the time but corporate parks which makes tons of money often only make mediocre food.

McDonald's vs a Mom 'n Pop shop on Main Street U.S.A. Which would you rather get a burger from? Why?

McDonald's. It's cheaper.

I'm not looking for nor expect 5-star food in an amusement park. A simple, greasy burger marked up 300% will suffice.

There's a local place in Springfield called Black Sheep that I will absolutely plug because their burgers are amazing. If I'm going out to eat, I'm getting the good stuff.

So yeah, I'm biased toward the amazing over the generic, and I will absolutely pay more less often for good quality stuff.

I'm going to CP this summer (with Bill!), and as it's my first time there (Bill's too!. . .two older, coaster loving, gays going for a few days without their hubbys? . . CP better look out!. .we BRING the party).. . . . I really don't care if the new Mean Streak will be open or not.

I'm just thrilled to get to go.

(and hang out with Bill).

my 2cents

...even today a lot of small family owned parks have some flagship food item or items. However when it comes to corporate parks usually the food gets a bad rep. I wonder how can a small family owned park have such good foods a lot of the time but corporate parks which makes tons of money often only make mediocre food... So what made amusement park food because so mediocre compare to back in the day?

My only guess is that corporate parks have to worry about profit margin, share holders, things like that over quality. Family owned parks not so much. Obviously they don't want to lose money on food services but they may not have Wall Street breathing down their necks for more profit. Cheap frozen burgers, hot dogs and fries sold at ridiculous prices equals more money.

But it also varies throughout the chain. I've had some truly borderline excellent food at Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, Knott's, Ki and even Dorney. All meal plan options too. While the food at Point, almost as a rule, sucks. Sad when the 3 things I eat the most there are Panda Express, Corndogs (aka hotdog on a stick) and walking tacos. Everything else is pretty horrible.

They better bring that hibachi truck back. I love the food truck festival, Cedar Point's food sucks.

Preaching to the choir right now. I'd rather they just let it go to concessionaires and let them worry about finding bodies or staffing it themselves. They still have a couple of them in the park as weird never-ending contracts like the china shop lady, so just do it across the board. I would probably spend way more time if I could get that food constantly there.

I had no idea that china shop lady was an outside contractor. We always pop in there, they have some of the only theme park Christmas ornaments that aren't dorky as hell and we've been known to buy a few.

China Shop Lady is very likely the only person in there who knows how long she's been at Cedar Point. It's been that long. I remember talking to a merchandise guy and he didn't even know her first name.

My only guess is that corporate parks have to worry about profit margin, share holders, things like that over quality. Family owned parks not so much. Obviously they don't want to lose money on food services but they may not have Wall Street breathing down their necks for more profit. Cheap frozen burgers, hot dogs and fries sold at ridiculous prices equals more money.

This. If a family owned park is profitable and they can draw worthwhile salaries from it, great, that's all they need. Investors into public park don't throw money into a company that is merely profitable. Investors want to be involved in growing companies to make money. If Cedar Point can't grow their profits at a rate exceeding inflation, it isn't attractive. Unfortunately, that creates an issue if you've maxed out your available market. How can you continue to show more growth if you can't really lure many more people to the park?

While the food at Point, almost as a rule, sucks. Sad when the 3 things I eat the most there are Panda Express, Corndogs (aka hotdog on a stick) and walking tacos. Everything else is pretty horrible.

Step 1: Hand Stamp

Step 2: Thirsty Pony

I'm going to CP this summer (with Bill!), and as it's my first time there (Bill's too!. . .two older, coaster loving, gays going for a few days without their hubbys? . . CP better look out!. .we BRING the party).. . . . I really don't care if the new Mean Streak will be open or not.

I'm just thrilled to get to go.

(and hang out with Bill).

my 2cents

This sounds like an epic trip in the making. Can't wait for the report!

^^ I honestly enjoy Famous Dave's quite a bit. It's good BBQ... not the best I've ever had, but very solid. Sitting out on the deck on the marina makes it a great experience though.

Aside from that, the only things in the park worth eating are from outside franchises (like Panda Express) but none of their food is anything to write home about. Anything they make themselves is generally terrible. By the way, I know the Midway Market people are coming so let me just say... no. Everything at Midway Market sucks and I'm incredibly tired of hearing about how good it is. It's crappy picnic area food and since they were using the kitchen anyway for the crappy picnic area they figured they would see if anyone was dumb enough to pay for an all you can eat buffet of the crappy picnic area food.

As for the Thirsty Pony, we tried to go after the park closed one night but that never happened. What self respecting bar closes at midnight on a holiday weekend when it's at the exit of a major theme park where traffic is backed up on the causeway trying to get out and the fast food place across the street has a drive thru line 30 cars deep because everyone's hungry?

I have not tried the Food Truck Festival, but the wife and I went to the BBQ and Brew Festival while at Coastermania last year and it was incredible!

cpfoodblog.com/2016-cedar-point-brew-bbq/

cpfoodblog.com/review-2016-cedar-point-brew-bbq-food/

^^ I honestly enjoy Famous Dave's quite a bit. It's good BBQ... not the best I've ever had, but very solid. Sitting out on the deck on the marina makes it a great experience though.

...By the way, I know the Midway Market people are coming so let me just say... no. Everything at Midway Market sucks and I'm incredibly tired of hearing about how good it is. It's crappy picnic area food and since they were using the kitchen anyway for the crappy picnic area they figured they would see if anyone was dumb enough to pay for an all you can eat buffet of the crappy picnic area food...

I enjoy Famous Dave's too, but I generally only eat there once a season since I have one about 10 mins from my house. But you can't beat it's location, especially for sunset dining.

Also, I was a Midway Market fanboy for a while. But about 5 seasons ago the quality started to tank reaching an all time low last season(2015) to the point I didn't even bother this season(2016). Having the dining plan helped avoid the place as it's not included unless you wanna pay an upcharge. It's just complete garbage now. When I sit in places like Harmony Hall I wonder why the f**k can't the flagship park have places like this?

On a side note, I forgot the burrito bowls at Chuck Wagon are tolerable to good depending on the day and included on the dining plan. Just hope they thaw the salsas. Nothing like getting chunks of ice in your burrito bowl.

Believe it or not i actually enjoy fast food a lot i know its not the healthiest but still its really good. Like Mcdonalds,Wendys,Taco Bell,Burger King,etc However for some reason mass produced amusement park food is just ok. So yea to me I think actual fast food taste better then most amusement park food but thats just me. I noticed a lot of amusement park food dont taste bad per se but more so just bland. Also another thing I noticed that is weird is that sometimes carnival food taste better then actual amusement park food. Especially when said carnival has tons of food vendors vs the typical food stands.

The only food I really ever eat is dollywoods food but even then I can't say much because I always get pizza. If u can mess up pizza there's something wrong.

And about coaster in cold weather. I've ridden WE in about 40 degree weather. Nothing else was open except FCE I think. Dunno how cold it was in that nitro pic but it was fun as hell to ride WE while freezing my face off.

As for the Thirsty Pony, we tried to go after the park closed one night but that never happened. What self respecting bar closes at midnight on a holiday weekend when it's at the exit of a major theme park where traffic is backed up on the causeway trying to get out and the fast food place across the street has a drive thru line 30 cars deep because everyone's hungry?

They probably just lost their late night liquor license from serving high school kids alcohol and the sketchy dope deals allowed to happen in the parking lot. There is definitely a hint of scumbag in the place. Maybe that's what makes their deep fried food so delicious?

They probably just lost their late night liquor license from serving high school kids alcohol and the sketchy dope deals allowed to happen in the parking lot. There is definitely a hint of scumbag in the place. Maybe that's what makes their deep fried food so delicious?

That would explain a lot. I think their website said they were open until 2 AM so we were pretty disappointed when we had to settle for Applebees (weird, tiki bar thing and all).

Also, I was a Midway Market fanboy for a while. But about 5 seasons ago the quality started to tank reaching an all time low last season(2015) to the point I didn't even bother this season(2016).

Sounds about right.

The buffet was always too expensive too, IMO.

Another wildcard that I frequent and is in convenient access to the park is TGI Fridays in the Hotel Breakers. While it is a little expensive, it too is in a nice location and is a nice break from all the action in the park.