TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

People believed when the ride had track going up in early October, that a two year construction timeline seemed ridiculous. It still kind of does. But at the time, 2017 wasn't a crazy thought. The prevailing thought was that they would announce it for the Holidays.

Exactly how I felt

The fact that people actually believed that Cedar Point would adopt a Tempesto-like marketing strategy and open a hardly-marketed RMC in 2017 still boggles my mind.

People believed when the ride had track going up in early October, that a two year construction timeline seemed ridiculous. It still kind of does. But at the time, 2017 wasn't a crazy thought. The prevailing thought was that they would announce it for the Holidays.

I never took a side, just because I personally didn't see a point, but I never felt that it was necessary to crucify people for having hope to see a 2017 opening. It always amazes me how hard headed people can be. We are all here with a common interest that's fun to be able to share. TPR is also built on the grounds of fun and they make it a point to include all. I see a lot of people losing sight on why we are all here.

#whereisthelove

I never took a side, just because I personally didn't see a point, but I never felt that it was necessary to crucify people for having hope to see a 2017 opening. It always amazes me how hard headed people can be. We are all here with a common interest that's fun to be able to share. TPR is also built on the grounds of fun and they make it a point to include all. I see a lot of people losing sight on why we are all here.

#whereisthelove

#theloveisintheshed

The beginning of the 2017 season seems like too short a time frame and the beginning of 2018 seems like too long a time frame. I can't see them debuting it mid-season though so I have to go with 2018. Besides, I've never known CP to spring multiple major new improvements in the park in one season.

I'm still firmly saying 2018 since the christmas video confirmation, but I'm still confused and annoyed by this construction timeline. Here's what bothers me:

- If the plan is to open it in 2018, WHY close Mean Streak one month before the rest of the park? Surely an extra month of construction over 1.5 years isn't worth it being closed during it's last possible Halloweekends. Why not capitalize on the "spooky" marketing potential?

- Demolition and track-work got started VERY quickly for having 20 months to re-construct the coaster.

- You hardly ever see track go up on a coaster 19 months in advance, unless it's built simultaneously with a new park. But NEVER at a seasonal park, even with the biggest coasters! (How long did Millennium Force or TTD take to build?)

- The past 6 RMC conversions we've all watched were all completed over normal offseasons. Why would track be placed 3 times earlier than any preceding RMC IBox?

People need to stop saying "It's always so clearly been 2018. Why would anybody think 2017?" and admit that Cedar Point closed Mean Streak stupidly early. This is not a normal coaster construction timeline.

It really bummed me out having MS closed so early because I wasn't able to make it out to the park (for my first time ever) until after they had closed the ride. Although it was apparently boring and rough, I still would have loved to ride the original. Shame it closed before the rest of the park. I'm obviously excited for the new MS though

Oh god, we're still doing this.

What part of budget cut don't people understand? Did anyone pay attention to what they just did with Hurler?

What's your point? Hurler doesn't already have half of it's lift constructed out of IBox... The construction timeline is completely different on these two coasters set to open at the same time.

I don't think the budget of operating Mean Streak for an extra 20 days had anything to do with it closing when it did...

Edited by chickenbowl

What's your point? Hurler doesn't already have half of it's lift constructed out of IBox... The construction timeline is completely different on these two coasters set to open at the same time.

My point is that the amount of posts flowing in from people who can't believe that they closed the ride so early is insane. Sure, there's always the possibility that they did it because this is going to be a world-beating supercoaster that requires all of this extra time... but closing a ride that was expensive to run that very few people actually cared about for a Halloween event where they were so short staffed that rides like Sky Ride and one side of Gemeni were routinely sitting closed even on days when they were so packed that Gemeni was pulling an 85 minute wait because it could only run one side because they didn't have enough staff so they could save money and send staff elsewhere isn't really that crazy of a thought.

Combine this with the fact that closing it on opening night of Halloweekends drummed up excitement about the future of the ride, got a lot of people to show up on a day that would have otherwise been relatively slow and allowed them to have a cool tie in with the kick off of their Halloween event and closing it when they did was a great idea regardless of the construction timeline.

Also, Hurler was most likely closed this year for budget. No visible work was going on and it's still not... so the thought of closing an unpopular coaster for budget isn't exactly foreign to them.

My point is that the amount of posts flowing in from people who can't believe that they closed the ride so early is insane. Sure, there's always the possibility that they did it because this is going to be a world-beating supercoaster that requires all of this extra time... but closing a ride that was expensive to run that very few people actually cared about for a Halloween event where they were so short staffed that rides like Sky Ride and one side of Gemeni were routinely sitting closed even on days when they were so packed that Gemeni was pulling an 85 minute wait because it could only run one side because they didn't have enough staff so they could save money and send staff elsewhere isn't really that crazy of a thought.

Combine this with the fact that closing it on opening night of Halloweekends drummed up excitement about the future of the ride, got a lot of people to show up on a day that would have otherwise been relatively slow and allowed them to have a cool tie in with the kick off of their Halloween event and closing it when they did was a great idea regardless of the construction timeline.

Also, Hurler was most likely closed this year for budget. No visible work was going on and it's still not... so the thought of closing an unpopular coaster for budget isn't exactly foreign to them.

I see your point, especially in regards to budget/staffing issues. But I can also see chickenbowl's point that not only did they close it early but they immediately started working on it. I think that's why a lot of us assumed it would be for '17 because track immediately showed up and they started hacking away at the structure. Now that we've seen that they're not going at as fervently a pace as it looked in the beginning, 2018 all but makes sense.

This. The money saved by not having to run/maintain it for an extra month was just a bonus.

In other words, Who else is going to Chill out!? I'll be in the ten o'clock group and this will be my first event like this!

I bought a ticket for the 8AM group, Winter Chill Out is a ton of fun! Just walking through the park and taking pictures is wonderful, and hearing the park silent instead of music playing, rides running, and voices screaming is very different. My favorite part of the tour each year is going into the maintenance shop seeing trains halfway through getting put back together and talking to the maintenance guys about how the rides work. The maintenance guys have so much knowledge of how the rides work and I've always loved learning about how they work.

I'm still firmly saying 2018 since the christmas video confirmation.

There is that word again. Nothing was 'confirmed' in that video.

Will it open in 2017? We don't know.

Will it open in 2018? We don't know.

When will it open? we don't know

You wanna know who know? Not us.

But guess who knows.

youre right.

not us.

Can we please go back to talking about skyrides and boats please.

But guess who knows.

youre right.

not us.

Speaking of subject changes, I heard that distraction over there is really topic changing.

But guess who knows.

youre right.

not us.

lol. Are you serious? The video said 2018 with the RMC hint - What more do you need? That's as close you can get to a confirmation without literally announcing it. If you want to get into semantics about the word "confirmation," you need a better use of your time.

But guess who knows.

youre right.

not us.

lol. Are you serious? The video said 2018 with the RMC hint - What more do you need? That's as close you can get to a confirmation without literally announcing it. If you want to get into semantics about the word "confirmation," you need a better use of your time.

We had this argument about 50 pages ago when the video was first released.

A video that is supposed to be funny and entertaining doesn't confirm anything. (And I expect this ride to open in 2018.) Especially when Tony Clark, who loves to mess with us, was involved in said video.