TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Where the hell is the boat?!?

sorry

Well you, webcam 1 is pointed at 12 o'clock. In order to properly see and/or look for the boat, Mr Tony Clark would have to position said webcam at about 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

Now he just has to zoom out a little bit.

IMG_1363.thumb.PNG.afe1185e842915bb1a597ff4e025477a.PNG

Sorry if these appear to be off-topic, but a friend of mine informed me today that Wicked Twister is being relocated to California. Has anyone else heard of this rumor? Or is it even valid?

This rumour comes from a recently published expansion plan for California's Great America, which calls for an Intamin impulse coaster that looks remarkably like Wicked Twister, including the unique double spiral. Intamin hasn't made a coaster like that for a while, and CGA is a fairly small market, so some people have speculated that Cedar Fair may be relocating Wicked Twister rather than purchasing a new coaster.

The rumour does have some internal logical consistency, so it's not completely out in left field. I doubt that Wicked Twister is leaving any time soon, though. It's still fairly popular, is as reliable as a launched Intamin usually is, and is in a spot that few other things would fit in. A Schwarzkopf shuttle loop, a Premier Skyrocket II, or a Ferris wheel are the only ones I can think of that would fit neatly in that spot; the shuttle loop would be considered a step down, and they've already got a Ferris wheel in basically that same spot. The Skyrocket might be okay, but it's not a much different experience and not really worth the hassle.

I'm leaning toward, if CGA does get an Intamin impulse, that it's bought new. They don't cost that much as coasters go, and the cost of tearing down, transporting across the country, and rebuilding it in the new location, isn't that much cheaper than just getting a new one.

Yeah, apparently this stupid rumor is popping up everywhere but basically you nailed it but let's kill it once and for all because it's going to keep popping up otherwise...

The rumor comes from this graphic in their master plan presentation where they obviously used images of Cedar Fair rides that were similar to the ones they were proposing.

15895607_1640380646256292_4709162476197874416_o.jpg?oh=7fe39abd8f8ee06bcdceacce14f3983b&oe=58D8ECF5

They included images of Patriot and Diamondback also even though Patriot looks nothing like Vortex because they just picked random images and put very little thought into it because it doesn't matter at all. Of course enthusiasts took these images literally and decided to freak out.

The entire presentation features generic ride images like this...

15875135_1640380689589621_7732953023082967055_o.jpg?oh=c9136d1071fd0d27b92a162ebd92c727&oe=58D8AA2C

And this...

15895783_1640380736256283_5781874390204684299_o.jpg?oh=4975fb6aef99991fd5ad5979799e6026&oe=58E3CB25

But nobody took any of these images which are EVERYWHERE in the presentation literally except the Wicked Twister image... why? I don't know. Maybe because they believe their own BS that Cedar Fair can't possibly work with Intamin ever again so it must be a relocation, and even though there are 2 other rides just like it on the chain they just went with Wicked Twister because it's most likely to stir the pot.

Thankfully CP doesn't have ridiculous neighbors.

When most of your neighbors are fish it does tend to cut down on the bitching and moaning.

Apparently the people near by dont appreciate what they have! Heck I dream of living super close to an amusement park! Also if they knew it was going to be noisy not sure why they moved their in the first place! But yea good thing CP does only have fish for neighbors!

A used mediocre ride installed an hour away from an even more mediocre version of the same ride. Hmmmmm...

Good launch, great back spike, and some strong forces...I know it isn't as complete as other coasters, but I'd never consider WT mediocre.

Sorry if these appear to be off-topic, but a friend of mine informed me today that Wicked Twister is being relocated to California. Has anyone else heard of this rumor? Or is it even valid?

This rumour comes from a recently published expansion plan for California's Great America, which calls for an Intamin impulse coaster that looks remarkably like Wicked Twister, including the unique double spiral. Intamin hasn't made a coaster like that for a while, and CGA is a fairly small market, so some people have speculated that Cedar Fair may be relocating Wicked Twister rather than purchasing a new coaster.

The rumour does have some internal logical consistency, so it's not completely out in left field. I doubt that Wicked Twister is leaving any time soon, though. It's still fairly popular, is as reliable as a launched Intamin usually is, and is in a spot that few other things would fit in. A Schwarzkopf shuttle loop, a Premier Skyrocket II, or a Ferris wheel are the only ones I can think of that would fit neatly in that spot; the shuttle loop would be considered a step down, and they've already got a Ferris wheel in basically that same spot. The Skyrocket might be okay, but it's not a much different experience and not really worth the hassle.

I'm leaning toward, if CGA does get an Intamin impulse, that it's bought new. They don't cost that much as coasters go, and the cost of tearing down, transporting across the country, and rebuilding it in the new location, isn't that much cheaper than just getting a new one.

Yeah, apparently this stupid rumor is popping up everywhere but basically you nailed it but let's kill it once and for all because it's going to keep popping up otherwise...

The rumor comes from this graphic in their master plan presentation where they obviously used images of Cedar Fair rides that were similar to the ones they were proposing.

15895607_1640380646256292_4709162476197874416_o.jpg?oh=7fe39abd8f8ee06bcdceacce14f3983b&oe=58D8ECF5

They included images of Patriot and Diamondback also even though Patriot looks nothing like Vortex because they just picked random images and put very little thought into it because it doesn't matter at all. Of course enthusiasts took these images literally and decided to freak out.

The entire presentation features generic ride images like this...

15875135_1640380689589621_7732953023082967055_o.jpg?oh=c9136d1071fd0d27b92a162ebd92c727&oe=58D8AA2C

And this...

15895783_1640380736256283_5781874390204684299_o.jpg?oh=4975fb6aef99991fd5ad5979799e6026&oe=58E3CB25

But nobody took any of these images which are EVERYWHERE in the presentation literally except the Wicked Twister image... why? I don't know. Maybe because they believe their own BS that Cedar Fair can't possibly work with Intamin ever again so it must be a relocation, and even though there are 2 other rides just like it on the chain they just went with Wicked Twister because it's most likely to stir the pot.

So what you're saying is that Diamondback is being relocated, right?.......

A used mediocre ride installed an hour away from an even more mediocre version of the same ride. Hmmmmm...

Good launch, great back spike, and some strong forces...I know it isn't as complete as other coasters, but I'd never consider WT mediocre.

Same. WT is a hidden gem that I always ride multiple times every time I go to CP. The experience you get from sitting towards the back isn't like much else.

Agreed. Wicked Twister may not be "THE BEST" coaster in the world, but it is still a lot of fun. The launches are great. The spikes are great. . . And the location is great!

Every time we go to the park we ride twice in the front row, and twice in the second to last row, in the seat on the right. When you go spiraling up the back tower, swing out over nothing because the rest of the train is to your left, and you pause for a second, looking straight down at some sand ~200ft below creates an amazing experience.

Anywho, I still don't see Cedar Point removing WT. If CGA is getting an impulse coaster, I'd be willing to bet it won't be Wicked Twister.

While not the best of the best I think WT is pretty fun. I enjoy launching coasters a lot and I also think its more fun then the one at SF Great America.(which is fun too but not as fun as WT of course) Also I like how its near the beach front. Its cool how you are racing through the shoreline.It's a really nice touch.

I've only ridden the ride once, 8 years ago, and it made Emily and I really nauseous. I like Vertical Velocity, but the twist on the Reverse Spike on Wicket Twister was a bit too much for my stomach for some reason.

I've only ridden the ride once, 8 years ago, and it made Emily and I really nauseous. I like Vertical Velocity, but the twist on the Reverse Spike on Wicket Twister was a bit too much for my stomach for some reason.

I was fine on that ride didnt feel sick however Maxair was a different story...I know its an enjoyable ride but i end up feeling nauseous right away. Even though I took motion sickness pills before I got there. It was really hard to have fun on it when i felt like i was going to puke Thing is its not like Maxair spun that much! Also the fact it seems the motion sickness pills dont work as well for as they used too. Which is sad since i love to ride rides so much. Coasters and drop rides dont make me feel sick but spinning rides even if its a small spin tend to make me feel queazy. Or the fact typical carnie rides make me often feel bleh ever after i take the pills now. Last summer when i went to a near by carnival even the magic carpet ride was making me feel kind of sick feeling(I didnt puke but still felt pretty awful) I took two and a half pills too. Before the pills would work wonders but as i get older it seems even those wont works as well Maybe ill have to find something else to replace the Dramamine.

Wicked Twister is one of my favorites especially a back seat ride getting thrown around that twist with such force. Too bad I got too fat for it. Wicked Twister is not fluffy friendly at all.

I was fine on that ride didnt feel sick however Maxair was a different story...I know its an enjoyable ride but i end up feeling nauseous right away. Even though I took motion sickness pills before I got there. It was really hard to have fun on it when i felt like i was going to puke Thing is its not like Maxair spun that much! Also the fact it seems the motion sickness pills dont work as well for as they used too. Which is sad since i love to ride rides so much. Coasters and drop rides dont make me feel sick but spinning rides even if its a small spin tend to make me feel queazy. Or the fact typical carnie rides make me often feel bleh ever after i take the pills now. Last summer when i went to a near by carnival even the magic carpet ride was making me feel kind of sick feeling(I didnt puke but still felt pretty awful) I took two and a half pills too. Before the pills would work wonders but as i get older it seems even those wont works as well Maybe ill have to find something else to replace the Dramamine.

Finally someone else who admits to feeling sick on frisbee rides. I might be OK on another try but the first time was enough. Not as bad as Fireball though. Anaconda's corkscrews get a me a bit even but I can handle it. Haven't ridden Wicked Twister though.

^ My partner can't ride frisbee rides anymore either. Riding Delirium at KI during Banshee Bash during morning ERT pretty much did him in for the day, so you're definitely not alone. Any ride that goes in multiple directions at once like that is likely going to make quite a few riders (even a lot of enthusiasts) nauseous....especially as they get older.

I agree others about the back seat on WT...I love looking straight down to the sand from that high up and enjoy any coaster that launches. Would be bummed if they did get rid of it, but I really don't see that happening. Looks like an attention-seeker just trying to deliberately stir up some drama.

count me as a WT fan as well. now, i wouldn't travel way out of my way just for it, or wait in a 2+ hour line, but i definitely consider it one hell of a fun coaster that rates well north of "mediocre" in my book. it's a fine piece of equipment in CP's coaster arsenal and i do hope the rumor of its removal is baseless.

then again, i'm a sucker for launches, so any launched coaster would have to really suck for me not to love it. hell, i still like vertical velocity at SFGAm, even without the holding brake (though it was WAY cooler with it). are any of the other spike/twist impulses still using the holding brake on the spike?

Edited by Steely Dan

Wicked Twister is one of my favorites especially a back seat ride getting thrown around that twist with such force. Too bad I got too fat for it. Wicked Twister is not fluffy friendly at all.

Truth! The only coaster @ CP I almost got walk-of-shamed on.

are any of the other spike/twist impulses still using the holding brake on the spike?

Possessed at Dorney still uses the brake

Valley Fair's impulse did as well when I went, which was 2 years ago I believe. It was definitely a cool part of the ride, I hadn't experienced one yet and I'm glad I got to!