TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Not going to lie. . . At first I thought you were talking about the tunnel on Magnum. My first thought was "Weird. . . Why would they need to get rid of that??" . . . Then I saw the actually tunnel that you were referring too.

I also was one of those people who thought and hoped it would be redone with topper track so that Blue Streak isn't the premier wood coaster at what's supposed to be the finest coaster park in the world

That's why RMC will come back to CP in 2019 and throw some topper track onto Gemini to turn it into a bonafide woodie.

so that Blue Streak isn't the premier wood coaster at what's supposed to be the finest coaster park in the world

Nobody cares about wood / steel coaster ratios besides enthusiasts. As far as everyone else is concerned this will be a wood coaster and will compliment their other wood coasters (Gemeni, Mine Ride and Blue Streak) very nicely.

so that Blue Streak isn't the premier wood coaster at what's supposed to be the finest coaster park in the world

Nobody cares about wood / steel coaster ratios besides enthusiasts. As far as everyone else is concerned this will be a wood coaster and will compliment their other wood coasters (Gemeni, Mine Ride and Blue Streak) very nicely.

And to add to this, I'm sure a wooden coaster is in the plans for sometime in the future.

There is no evidence that the tunnel is actively being removed. This is actually just a distraction/false flag operation by Tony and the rest of the Cedar Point Illuminati to throw us off the truth of Mean Streak being reopened in 2017.

Hey - do me a solid...please attribute the source of your photo(s). You know, since we're closed and all.

That's the most clever method I've ever seen of getting someone to promote your Twitter page, but I guess that's why you're the PR guy and I'm not. lol

Anyway, the source is everyone's favorite park PR guy / TPR member. Go follow him on Twitter. I'm told he's a pretty cool dude.

I happen to be a coaster enthusiast, so I care and was hoping that New Mean Streak would be redone with topper track.

I happen to be a coaster enthusiast, so I care and was hoping that New Mean Streak would be redone with topper track.

I have been genuinely curious why all the RMC conversions use the steel ibox track and not their pre-fab wooden topper track like on Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod and other "new" coasters. I guess my question is could they convert an existing wooden coaster and modify the layout using topper track or is there a reason they can't/don't.

I have been genuinely curious why all the RMC conversions use the steel ibox track and not their pre-fab wooden topper track like on Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod and other "new" coasters. I guess my question is could they convert an existing wooden coaster and modify the layout using topper track or is there a reason they can't/don't.

I believe it may be do to marketing reasons. I personally find it easier to sell a "brand new steel" coaster. As opposed to "new wooden coaster" on a wooden coaster that was notorious for not being good. Additionally, if you're going to completely revamp a wooden coaster to this extent, you might as well get the version with the least amount of upkeep (i-box).

I have been genuinely curious why all the RMC conversions use the steel ibox track and not their pre-fab wooden topper track like on Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod

I would assume it's because nobody cares if it's a wood or steel coaster except a few enthusiasts anyway and the steel track is much less expensive to maintain. I'm just making assumptions but I don't think the ROI would be any different and they just choose the cheaper option. Personally I would do the same thing.

The two RMC types are barely different anyways. And yeah, a lot of GP thinks of wooden coasters as old fashioned or inferior.

If this were true then parks wouldn't be shelling out millions of dollars for new wood coasters. The 3 largest coaster projects in the country that are confirmed to be opening in 2017 are wood coasters. Dollywood just dumped a boatload of money into a new wood coaster, they could have easily built a big B&M steel coaster with that budget, there are tons of wood coasters that are just as popular at their respective parks as their steel counterparts. Since we're just throwing around anecdotal crap now I can confirm that in all of our visits to Great Adventure I've never once heard anyone complaining about El Toro because it's a wood coaster and it has some of the highest ridership numbers in the entire park.

And on the subject of anecdotal crap, I'll quote this post I made from a 2015 trip to Knoebels...

Speaking of which I'll leave this here...

image_13769.thumb.jpg.a3088150bdf0618e502b5893f2585d96.jpg

The line tonight for the brand new, state of the art steel looping coaster.

The line tonight for the brand new, state of the art steel looping coaster.

image_13770.thumb.jpg.99ed51f28d75c8e4d446e85133e9898c.jpg

The line for the classic wood coaster that's pushing 70 years old spilling out the entrance. I'm not bashing Impulse, but it's pretty amazing to see everyone (not just enthusiasts) flocking to Phoenix the way they do over a brand new steel coaster.

The line for the classic wood coaster that's pushing 70 years old spilling out the entrance. I'm not bashing Impulse, but it's pretty amazing to see everyone (not just enthusiasts) flocking to Phoenix the way they do over a brand new steel coaster.

If a coaster is good then it's good, nobody cares what it's made out of or if it's technically wood or steel.

The two RMC types are barely different anyways. And yeah, a lot of GP thinks of wooden coasters as old fashioned or inferior.

This statement is true for the UK.

I'd say this is half-right for the states. Knoebels, Holiday World and Kennywood are the only US parks that have multiple well-maintained wooden coasters. The rest of the gems are spread far, wide, and few between.

I'd say this is half-right for the states. Knoebels, Holiday World and Kennywood are the only US parks that have multiple well-maintained wooden coasters. The rest of the gems are spread far, wide, and few between.

That's the thing (though I'd add a few more parks in to the mix like Hershey). Steel coasters are generally more popular than wood coasters because they're usually better coasters, especially at corporate parks. Good wood coasters are immensely popular attractions though. Rides like El Toro, the Beast, Gold Striker, Outlaw Run, Apocalypse before it sucked, Thunderhead, Boulder Dash and plenty of others are in parks with excellent steel coasters and are still immensely popular rides that generate long lines.

This statement is true for the UK.

Nah, not true. Six Flags St. Louis, Kings Island, Six Flags Great America, and Michigan's Adventure all count in this, and Camden, Rye, and Stricker's Grove can too. The rides may not be all top tier, but they're well maintained. Indiana Beach is getting back there. Silverwood and Kings Dominion have historically been at times but I can't speak for them right now.

Anyways, plenty of wood coasters have gone up in Europe everywhere except the UK. A new wood coaster hasn't opened there in 21 years. I don't think that's because wood is considered "bad", otherwise we wouldn't be seeing Alton Towers building one for 2018. It just didn't fit people's plans, if they had any.

If this were true then parks wouldn't be shelling out millions of dollars for new wood coasters. The 3 largest coaster projects in the country that are confirmed to be opening in 2017 are wood coasters. Dollywood just dumped a boatload of money into a new wood coaster, they could have easily built a big B&M steel coaster with that budget, there are tons of wood coasters that are just as popular at their respective parks as their steel counterparts. Since we're just throwing around anecdotal crap now I can confirm that in all of our visits to Great Adventure I've never once heard anyone complaining about El Toro because it's a wood coaster and it has some of the highest ridership numbers in the entire park.

Well they're usually something like half the price. The expensive ones are a bit of a head-scratcher but they're not too common. El Toro seems like a great product and Intamin probably promoted the heck out of pre-fabs buy nobody bought them. It does make a big line but maybe it had a low attendance effect. I think all 3 of the ones this year are budget-options, especially Invadr which I'd guess is in sub 5 million range. Gravity groups these days seem like they're for parks trying to make the most out of very small budgets, with GCI's dominating the price point just above.

If I was a park I'd think I'd want to advertise an RMC as a hybrid for a modern sound. I'm sure the marketing department would know best though.