TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have been reading this whole thread and it seems that virtually everyone thinks its a launched coaster because intamin track is on site...That company does lots of style of coasters not just launched!

Jarvis "heres to the most inversions coaster WITH a lift hill!" Morant

Well, YOU try squeezing in a non-launched, super-looper intamin scream machine into as little space as Cedar Point have. I was honestly surprised they had enough room to build TTD.

Prototypes are practically the only thing Cedar Point builds.

Such as?

MF was a prototype(elevator cable lift hill), Wicked Twister wasn't the first, but it was still new at that time, TTD obviously was a prototype, Skyhawk is a recent prototype,etc.

CP has always had to have new products, or at very least proven products pushed farther then they've been before.

MF was a prototype(elevator cable lift hill), Wicked Twister wasn't the first, but it was still new at that time, TTD obviously was a prototype, Skyhawk is a recent prototype,etc.

CP has always had to have new products, or at very least proven products pushed farther then they've been before.

I guess it depends on what you mean by a "prototype" because the only ride you've listed here that I think would really count is MF. As far as I understand it, TTD is pretty much just a larger version than the technology already found on Xcel, and Skyhawk is only a larger version of a ride that can be found in several other parks.

Just because a ride is bigger or faster than a previous one doesn't really make it a prototype, IMO. Same goes for Power Tower, Magnum, and Mantis. Just extensions of technologies which already existed. By that logic Raptor, Mean Streak should be counted as prototypes as well. And virtually ever other coaster that has broken some sort of record. Raptor was the first inverted coaster with a Cobra Roll but does that really make it a prototype? Mean Streak was the first wooden coaster to break the 160' mark, does that make it a prototype?

^

Wasn't power tower a prototype too?

Magnum was a prototype the first coaster to be over 200 ft, Mantis had the first Inclined inversion and the firt to try a dive loop on a stanup, so that is counts as prototype too.

Hardly. None of those rides required new technology which is usually a precursor so denoting what a prototype is.

And theres PLENTY of room left at CP. You just gotta look past your nose.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I heard somewhere (I forgot where) that TTD was the worst investment in Cedar Point history (and I heard it as factual information from a reliable source, not just a CP fanboy).

No I meant that there sticking with Intamin even though TTDs problems pissed Cedar Point of with Intamin.

Kinzel did say that TTD was the worst investment so far. It was in a Motely Fool broadcast. Oh well. I still like it. If this next ride isnt an inversion breaker Ill like it more than that too!

Kinzel did say that TTD was the worst investment so far. It was in a Motely Fool broadcast. Oh well. I still like it. If this next ride isnt an inversion breaker Ill like it more than that too!

Was it TTD that he mentioned?

I know I remember reading that he said Disaster Transport was one of their worst decisions. (the decision to enlcose Avalance Run).

I might have been using prototype a bit loosely, but my point was still that CP does have a tendancy to buy into new technologies. Though Xcelerator was first, TTD was only a year later and twice the size. That was hadly proven.

I would like to agree with an earlier post in that someone stated perhaps (one) reason construction is starting is because the project may be quite larger than we all assume and partly because of the harsh winters Sandusky has, so they want to be sure all of the footers in which water is involved are already placed. I would also venture to guess that even with the winter-time activity, they want to get an early start because you cant always predict the winter season and I would be sure CP wants to have this ride done, tested, re-tested and hopefully have all of the bugs worked out before opening day.

When was MF construction? (wasn't the primary footers and the like started before their end of season?). The size of that project appeared like they had to scramble near the end to get the ride open on its target date. Perhaps if this is true, they dont want to make that mistake again.

I would like to think the reason for the early construction is that CP is actually planning to do something far more unique and detailed than usual with theming/landscaping. Not that I believe that's what is actually going on, just a bit of wishful thinking.

The only Intamin models I'm interested in seeing there are a mega looper with a custom layout or an aqua trax to up the coaster count and replace WWL all at once. No more launches though, I think two is enough for now. I like Intamin and all, but after three in a row I was really pulling for a B&M.

It seems like alot of people are going with the Aqua Trax idea, but I disagree. The main reason I disagree is because wasn't there mention at one point that they filed to use the name Maverick? If anyone remembers from the movie Top Gun the call name for one of the pilots was Maverick. To me, that could lend itself to being a fighter jet themed wing walker with a dive or interlocking corkscrews over the pond. plus it would require less themeing.

From Merriam-Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: 1mav·er·ick

Pronunciation: 'mav-rik, 'ma-v&-

Function: noun

Etymology: Samuel A. Maverick died 1870 American pioneer who did not brand his calves

1 : an unbranded range animal; especially : a motherless calf

2 : an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

This was also the name of a 1994 movie from Warner Bros. about a gambler (Mel Gibson) who meets his match. (Jodie Foster) The law is portrayed by James Garner, and a host of other notables filled out many of the minor roles. This movie reinforced the 'western' connotations of the word Maverick.

In the late '50's to early '60's there was a TV show of the same name, also starring James Garner, that time as the gambler.

Also in the '50's there were several other westerns with 'Maverick' in the title.

I'd rather have a B&M dueling flyer, billed as Top Gun, with one side Iceman and the other side Maverick!

I can't wait to find out what is really going on!

I'd rather have a B&M dueling flyer, billed as Top Gun, with one side Iceman and the other side Maverick!

I'd love to see that happing one day. But I want it to have some aerobatic moves. I am thinking about interlocking corkscrews or a dualing pretzel.

But because of Paramount owning the trademark of Top Gun and maybe also the caracter names from that movie. Why doesn't have Paramount build such a dualing coaster?

And Paramount hasn't really been building many super intense roller coasters.

Not too mention that the entire Paramount chain is being sold. So unless the sale includes the rights to use the names that idea will never happen.

Though it would be cool if it did, but it probably won't.