TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The same scenario happened with Top Thrill Dragster. Track installation was complete weeks before a single peep from CP. They let the speculation build untill making a formal announcement in January of 2003.

*Over a decade ago. . .

Dear God I feel old. I remember watching TTD being built, and I remember my fist ride like it was yesterday. It's hard to believe it's been over a decade.

hmmm, truth or troll?

Obviously this just means New Mean Streak will be opening in 2018, not 2017. . . So we can all just stop debating it now.

I never posted that this WILL open in 2017, only gave my constructive argument on how a 2017 opening is possible. Yet it was met with pages of typical opinion bashing and non constructive counter arguments. 2017/2018 are both possible, and I gave legitimate and sourced arguments as to why a 2017 opening is possible at this moment in time. If you disagree, that's fine. But please read before you post.

I never posted that this WILL open in 2017, only gave my constructive argument on how a 2017 opening is possible. Yet it was met with pages of typical opinion bashing and non constructive counter arguments. 2017/2018 are both possible, and I gave legitimate and sourced arguments as to why a 2017 opening is possible at this moment in time. If you disagree, that's fine. But please read before you post.

I agree that Cedar Point/RMC using a 20-month construction timeline is ridiculous and unprecedented (it's even 6 months longer than NTG) - But it's VERY hard to argue with a video from CP confirming a 2018 RMC... It's pretty silly to imagine that CP including that screen in the video is just a way to troll a small group of internet enthusiasts...

Source: I was strongly on team 2017 until this morning...

The same scenario happened with Top Thrill Dragster. Track installation was complete weeks before a single peep from CP. They let the speculation build untill making a formal announcement in January of 2003.

*Over a decade ago with a different ownership group when the park didn't already announce their new additions for the next year with a totally different type of ride when it wasn't financially expedient to close an existing coaster early since it was expensive to run, generated no in park spending and was tremendously unpopular when the park didn't just pretty much tell people it wasn't opening until the following season.

Also, this was at the pinnacle of the "Coaster Wars" and they were building the tallest and fastest rollercoaster in the world. It didn't need any marketing. This was the proverbial "build and they will come." However, for someone who doesn't know about RMC there's nothing super-special about what they're doing and, IMO, it would require a more "normal" marketing campaign.

I've been squarely on the fence the entire time regarding the 17/18 debate and could still see both sides. I was hoping for 17, like everyone, but I'm not disappointed as a lot of the evidence pointed at 18. I will say I am still slightly confused with how fast they are constructing it with 2018 being the goal. Kinda interesting to see RMC Streak and Hurler in the same year. I'll take a 2018 Platinum Pass, please.

The counter arguments are very constructive, you just don't want to believe that they're true.

Like I said, believe what you want. Go get on line on opening day and let me know how it goes.

I believe both 2017 & 2018 are possible. I was giving my constructive argument on the higher probability of a 2017 opening based on valid sources. I never once completely ruled out a 2018 opening. Again, read before you post because I never once stated this WILL open in 2017. This whole "get in line" statement does not pertain to a single post I've made, so please stop.

The new Mean Streak opening date is Schrodinger's Coaster. Cedar Point knows enthusiasts will pick up every crumb they put down and then argue endlessly. Whatever year it opens, I know they (Hi Tony) are having a lot of fun watching the carnage.

I still believe it will open in 2016. There's still time to finish it before the year is done, and if you don't think about it, this would be the perfect time to have a Winterfest with no marketing at all, just before Christmas. It's happening folks. It's really more likely they open it in 2016 than any time in the future.

My Cedar Point fanboy buddy sent me this, in case it hasn't been posted. I didn't even ask where it came from. He also seems to think there will be some crazy lighting package...

how on earth did your friend get access to these professional blueprints? these must have been taken right from the worksite

ot: everyones arguing over 2017 vs 2018 still and i'm just over here hoping it'll be their 150th anniversary surprise for 2020. i just wanna see the world burn

I still believe it will open in 2016. There's still time to finish it before the year is done, and if you don't think about it, this would be the perfect time to have a Winterfest with no marketing at all, just before Christmas. It's happening folks. It's really more likely they open it in 2016 than any time in the future.

If you think about it, the continuum of time is such that the end of years is entirely conditional. It is all artificial and imaginary. For that reason, I am stating that Mean Streak will open in 1994, because 1994 never ended to me. It is still happening until I feel otherwise.

My Cedar Point fanboy buddy sent me this, in case it hasn't been posted. I didn't even ask where it came from. He also seems to think there will be some crazy lighting package...

how on earth did your friend get access to these professional blueprints? these must have been taken right from the worksite

ot: everyones arguing over 2017 vs 2018 still and i'm just over here hoping it'll be their 150th anniversary surprise for 2020. i just wanna see the world burn

Speaking of the world burning, forget 2018... 2017 might even be one year too late given the way the election's turned out.

Edited by canadianparkfan

There haven't been any formal announcements, and that means one thing and one thing only. It already opened. How many announcements have you seen for Millennium Force opening since 2000? None. Top Thrill Dragster? None. I provided two instances of this happening, and we all know that it's enough to see a trend. It already opened.

I can't believe you guys are falling for CP's trickery!! This was obviously supposed to throw us off of the 2017 opening date. Or maybe it will be a 2017 Platinum Passholder preview only for the whole year and not open to the public until 2018. I will be riding this is 2017, whether it is open or not.

higher probability of a 2017 opening based on valid sources.

wut? The park literally JUST CONFIRMED 2018. It's time to accept what the park says as truth.

A random screen on a laptop saying 2018:Richard Michael Crosby in a video from Cedar Point that is supposed to be funny and entertaining is not a CONFIRMATION. I'm not saying this will open in 2017, I'm just saying that unless the park officially posts an announcement saying, "Meaner Streak will be opening in 2018", we can't confirm what year it will open. Tony Clark could've put that in the video for fun, even if it were to open in 2017, I don't think they would've put 2017 in the video.

Again, I'm not saying this will open in 2017, so don't tell me to wait in line