TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

.... If you guys had to choice what would you all consider the "mini Cedar Point" in America. A much smaller park that can much easily be CPs little brother.

I don't think I can tell you who the little brother is of CP in the family but I can tell you who the red headed step child is (VF) and which child got abandon at the fire station (MiA).

The cool brothers are Carowinds and Kings Island for sure. Kings Dominion had some relation problems with the family. The other's are kind of bastard childs.

Ehh...not for sure. Have you visited most of the CF parks? Those are good parks you mentioned, but most of the cool-factor merely suggests the big coasters they've added in recent years. If that's all it takes, we'd be more welcoming toward parking lot coasters. Wonderland is also on par with those parks, too, but the giant coaster philosophy isn't the only way to become a cool brother -- look at Knott's!

I'm going to stick up for the other Cedar Fair parks. They may not be global draws, but they're generally clean and appropriate for their markets. I think some people get a mindset that parks are either adding giga coasters or knocking on death's door, with nothing in between. In this way, Cedar Point & SFMM are bad examples from which to set expectations and define what makes a good park.

For example, the GCI additions to Valleyfair, CGA, WoF, & KI, as well as the Ghostrider rehab, are really good coasters -- it's ignorant to use this bastard-talk to paint a negative image of parks that are maintaining themselves and adding fun. I know you didn't say this, but it comes off as a sour grapes way of rejecting what you got because of what you didn't get for Christmas. I feel like there's an unfair sentiment of laughing off any park that doesn't have its giga coaster or RMC by now.

^Well it depends what kind of person you are and what type of rides are you into. If you are a major thrill ride enthusiast CP and SFMM ARE good examples of great parks! If you are more into parks that are for the whole family you would most like pick a different park for that spot. Its really a matter of opinion.

^Well it depends what kind of person you are and what type of rides are you into. If you are a major thrill ride enthusiast CP and SFMM ARE good examples of great parks! If you are more into parks that are for the whole family you would most like pick a different park for that spot. Its really a matter of opinion.

I agree with ya! My point is simply that the best coaster parks (or whatever criteria's used) shouldn't make other parks suddenly become poorly-regarded as a whole. When you (not you, just rhetorically) narrowly define good parks to only mean high coaster count or having RMCs or gigas, you can spoil your own fun by looking for shortcomings in other parks that still have lots to offer.

For example, I think Iron Dragon is a serviceable family coaster. Not stellar, but a decent family coaster. It's an increasingly-rare Arrow, too. It was only when I went online and read about how Draggin' Iron was so boring and blah that I felt made to believe that it was one of the worst coasters on earth. It suffered because of comparisons to record-breakers that just weren't fair. In the same way, measuring against Cedar Point can make enthusiasts balk at regional parks just because they're not Cedar Point, which propels the false narrative that they must therefore be lagging and lame.

Edited by Samuel

Well, yea, but MY opinion is right

The cool brothers are Carowinds and Kings Island for sure. Kings Dominion had some relation problems with the family. The other's are kind of bastard childs.

Ehh...not for sure. Have you visited most of the CF parks? Those are good parks you mentioned, but most of the cool-factor merely suggests the big coasters they've added in recent years. If that's all it takes, we'd be more welcoming toward parking lot coasters. Wonderland is also on par with those parks, too, but the giant coaster philosophy isn't the only way to become a cool brother -- look at Knott's!

I'm going to stick up for the other Cedar Fair parks. They may not be global draws, but they're generally clean and appropriate for their markets. I think some people get a mindset that parks are either adding giga coasters or knocking on death's door, with nothing in between. In this way, Cedar Point & SFMM are bad examples from which to set expectations and define what makes a good park.

For example, the GCI additions to Valleyfair, CGA, WoF, & KI, as well as the Ghostrider rehab, are really good coasters -- it's ignorant to use this bastard-talk to paint a negative image of parks that are maintaining themselves and adding fun. I know you didn't say this, but it comes off as a sour grapes way of rejecting what you got because of what you didn't get for Christmas. I feel like there's an unfair sentiment of laughing off any park that doesn't have its giga coaster or RMC by now.

I think you didn't catch the exaggeration and the sarcasm in all this family metaphor. In fact, I have never been to any Cedar Fair park, as I'm from Spain and I've never been outside of Europe, but I just played with the global conception people has about the other parks in the chain.

I completely agree with what you said: an RMC or giga isn't necessary, but keep in mind that was a comparison game, where the generalization wasn't meant to be a real definition, just a way of making fun about what the community thinks.

I think you didn't catch the exaggeration and the sarcasm in all this family metaphor. In fact, I have never been to any Cedar Fair park, as I'm from Spain and I've never been outside of Europe, but I just played with the global conception people has about the other parks in the chain.

I completely agree with what you said: an RMC or giga isn't necessary, but keep in mind that was a comparison game, where the generalization wasn't meant to be a real definition, just a way of making fun about what the community thinks.

I'm sorry that my laser seemed focused on you, and I do get the sarcasm. I should have pivoted to my larger point in a more distinct transition so that it didn't read like I meant all of it to fall on your head. I just meant to speak to the idea that when we compare parks to Cedar Point, we can too quickly dismiss them if they don't add coasters at a Cedar Point scale and rate. That's when the comparison becomes unfair and does a disservice to those other parks.

Okay, I will step aside now so the silliness may proceed once more.

Cedar Point is far and away the best park in the Cedar Fair chain and it's not cause of the coaster collection. It's because of THE SKY RIDE!

Trying to get this thread back on track...

Imma gonna stop you right there. The best Skyride is at Adventureland. Hands down

AND I'm not sure CP's is better than CGA's. Pretty sure CGA's is longer