TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

BTW: I am not trying to say parks look to enthusiasts all the time, or act like enthusiasts are super important and blah blah blah

I feel like that disclaimer was put there specifically for me but I know what you mean, I'm picking up what you're putting down. It's great when parks are in touch with their fanbase and I think Cedar Point does a great job with this, but they realize that this is still a tiny part of the market whereas enthusiasts themselves take any attention that the parks give them and let it go to their heads until they think that they make up a huge percentage of annual attendance and are somehow better than everyone else ("the gp").

Yes, it is said that there are those moderately involved in the industry who watch the forums for enthusiast feedback. However, I don't believe it happens as often as some enthusiasts would like to think it does. Your opinions are not as valuable as the all mighty dollar of 'Joe Non Coaster Enthusiast' who appears to more easily fall into a statistical graph. The opinion of the majority customer, even if ignorant, will always remain priority. However, it seems that pleasing both groups of enthusiasts and non enthusiasts at the same time often leads to such successes such as Fury, Maverick, Millennium Force, Magnum, ETC.

Edited by prozach626

They've got a marketing campaign going for the waterpark addition. Right now, it seems that campaign goal is driving season pass sales and securing bookings for next season. As long as that plan is working as desired, why would they spend more money? Right now, we're quite handily marketing this thing for them - building buzz, clamoring for info, telling friends, "They're doing something, but I'm not positive what it is...". We are free viral marketing. The day the webcam moved, can't you see Tony or someone sitting in the office just slowly panning it back and forth, hoping someone will be tuned in at just the right time to screen-grab and share it? Because I can. They certainly didn't have to move the cam. But they did. And now we have a new tidbit. And we speculate and buzz about it in all of our enthusiast circles.

And that's your conspiracy theory for the day.

Jay

I'm sure they love that there's a lot of hype building within the community but when they announce this thing they're going to go balls out marketing it to the masses. The people who are following the offseason developments and hyping this thing up already make up a tiny amount of people in the grand scheme of things.

BTW: I am not trying to say parks look to enthusiasts all the time, or act like enthusiasts are super important and blah blah blah

I feel like that disclaimer was put there specifically for me but I know what you mean, I'm picking up what you're putting down. It's great when parks are in touch with their fanbase and I think Cedar Point does a great job with this, but they realize that this is still a tiny part of the market whereas enthusiasts themselves take any attention that the parks give them and let it go to their heads until they think that they make up a huge percentage of annual attendance and are somehow better than everyone else ("the gp").

One of the reasons I took a hiatus from coaster enthusiasm for a relatively long time was I couldn't stand the "I'm better than everyone else" rhetoric purported by some of the enthusiast population. It just really got to me. It is also a form of misanthropic boulder dash when people suggest that "all people are stupid except for the minuscule community that I happen to be apart of because we're "smarter." I'm an engineering student, we're supposed to be the kings of that kind of pretentious rhetoric supposedly, yet I see no point to it whatsoever. (Yeah, go ahead, make fun of me because I'm an engineer.)

Point is: If you think you're better than everyone else because you know a little bit more than everyone else about a certain machine, find a new hobby. This isn't for you. I'm glad to see most people on here get that now. But back in 2011/2012, that kind of "GP is so stupid and we should make fun of them endlessly" logic was way too prevalent.

^Dude, get with it. If you don't know the difference between a LIM launched coaster and a LSM launched coaster you're a mindless GP idiot who will likely mistake Blue Streak for the new Mean Streak. Although, I guess I don't specifically know the difference between LIM/LSM... which confirms what others have already concluded, which is that I am indeed an idiot.

I do however know the difference between Mean Streak and Blue Streak. Mean Streak is CP'S 3rd Coaster, out of their soon to be 3 1/2 coaster lineup, by my personal count. (MF, Maverick,& Dragster'1/2') Again with the self proclaimed idiot thing. No more cold meds for me today.

I'm not saying it's relevant.

It is, enthusiasts are still annoying as sh*t.

Oh Bill just shut up! Stop being such a GP'er. Can't you see that we the people of the coaster community demanded this ride to be built and that's why they are doing it? It's also going to be 2018 because we can't imagine anything else going in that is better for the park's big 148th anniversary celebration!! I mean come on...it's a big anniversary year in 2018 and parks always build stuff on the big years, especially if they aren't rounded. GateKeeper was built for the 143rd Anniversary and Valravn for the 146th. #AnniversariesMatter

Also, I talked with my sources this morning and they have CONFIRMED to me that there is a coaster that is replacing Mean Streak. And its going to break a whole bunch of records. You heard it here first!

(Hopefully everyone sees the sarcasm in this post! I agree with what Bill is saying. We are not "owed" anything as enthusiasts. And it's true that catering to the GP and families is more sustainable than focusing on enthusiasts. Its good to be in touch with fanbases, as Bill said, but they shouldn't just cater to one demgraphic and we shouldn't expect it. And yeah, don't act better!)

Just bring back the boat and I'll be pleased!!

Edited by Coasterguy21

I'm not saying it's relevant.

It is, enthusiasts are still annoying as sh*t.

Oh Bill just shut up! Stop being such a GP'er. Can't you see that we the people of the coaster community demanded this ride to be built and that's why they are doing it? It's also going to be 2018 because we can't imagine anything else going in that is better for the park's big 148th anniversary celebration!! I mean come on...it's a big anniversary year in 2018 and parks always build stuff on the big years, especially if they aren't rounded. GateKeeper was built for the 143rd Anniversary and Valravn for the 146th. #AnniversariesMatter

Also, I talked with my sources this morning and they have CONFIRMED to me that there is a coaster that is replacing Mean Streak. And its going to break a whole bunch of records. You heard it here first!

(Hopefully everyone sees the sarcasm in this post!)

Just bring back the boat and I'll be pleased!!

This is golden and I can'twait for the response

Didn't mean to post this. Fail on my part. So I'm going to just post a statement below.

With that said, we are not owed anything as enthusiasts and I just think a lot of hardcore park fans should realize that. Easier said than done.

I am excited for this new Mean Streak to open and get announced. Whenever it will be. I'll be patient and hoping its a great ride. For GP & enthusiasts alike. But if it does good for the park, that's what matters.

With that said, we are not owed anything as enthusiasts and I just think a lot of hardcore park fans should realize that.

No, I can assure you that the more patches you have on a jacket, the more secret information parks give you. I can prove this theory easily. I do not have a patch jacket, and I am also never given any secret information by parks. Therefore, if I had a patch jacket, I will get parks' secret information.

It's as simple as calculating the opening year for a new coaster.