TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well it's moved over to MF now but they did zoom in close up and I managed to get a couple screen shots. I'm only sharing what was shown on Cedar Point's public webcam so this shouldn't be an issue. I just grabbed a screen shot each time the cam went to this view.

Nice job! You can absolutely take screenshots of the webcam. They wouldn't show us anything they wouldn't want us to see. It looks like they're adding some significant height to the ride.

Well it's moved over to MF now but they did zoom in close up and I managed to get a couple screen shots. I'm only sharing what was shown on Cedar Point's public webcam so this shouldn't be an issue. I just grabbed a screen shot each time the cam went to this view.

Good work Miley!

Lol. Thanks Scotty.

Wow! Awesome screen grabs!

Thanks for getting a hold of those and sharing. Top notch work.

That lift hill does NOT look like it has any intention on giving up soon. AND THERE'S A BOAT! Perhaps one of my favorite TPR ongoing stupid jokes ever. With Cedar Point not even leaking a word about this it must possibly be a 2018 installation that is going to have an enormous amount of promotion and build up during the 2017 season (although the pre-lift could have been better imo LOL). I think Cedar Point is going to go about this at a safe pace, build up momentum, and knock any other park in the world out with what they're doing in 2018.

Go Cedar Point!

The whole time thing has been an argument in my mind. With no announcement i'm thinking 2018 but the ride's progress says 2017 to me. But maybe not opening day. I feel like it might open later in the season. It would almost be useless but it could be a possibility.

i feel like they're just waiting to see if rmc can pull off the project by opening day 2017 to announce it. there's probably a date and if rmc doesn't get enough finished by that certain date they'll delay it til 2018 but if they have enough finished by that date they'll announce it for 2017. the date would have to be coming close though because i'm sure they'd want to release the news before christmas

^ That's not really how construction works. Construction companies generally have a good idea of the scope of a project. Unusual weather can cause the timeline to shift by maybe a couple of weeks, but no one is out there saying "It"ll either take 20 weeks or 72." Someone who says that doesn't know what they're doing, and you should find another construction company.

^ That's not really how construction works. Construction companies generally have a good idea of the scope of a project. Unusual weather can cause the timeline to shift by maybe a couple of weeks, but no one is out there saying "It"ll either take 20 weeks or 72." Someone who says that doesn't know what they're doing, and you should find another construction company.

Agreed. I, by no means work construction, but have some buddies that do. I believe that when the company seeks out a construction company they meet with a project manager and tell the project manager the time line in the meeting, with a goal date typically ahead of the "go live" date to allow for any unexpected events (weather, etc...) I don't know if a company would really be able to succeed if they just said "Eh, let's finish it whenever we get the chance, if not this year, hey maybe next year we will get it."

Also, some construction contracts have a bonus structure built-in. Deliver on time and on budget get a bonus, delay of the project the construction company must pay a penalty. Now there are also clauses that states verbiage regarding Acts of God, weather and etc.

Agreed. I, by no means work construction, but have some buddies that do. I believe that when the company seeks out a construction company they meet with a project manager and tell the project manager the time line in the meeting, with a goal date typically ahead of the "go live" date to allow for any unexpected events (weather, etc...) I don't know if a company would really be able to succeed if they just said "Eh, let's finish it whenever we get the chance, if not this year, hey maybe next year we will get it."

It will usually be pretty specific as far as project timeline. There will be an Owner/Contractor Agreement, which stipulates a Notice of Commencement date...starting at this date the contract will stipulate an amount of time, (usually in days) upon which a Contractor will achieve substantial completion. Sometimes but not always, written into the contract there may be penalties for days after the set completion date that a contractor does not complete the work, that the contractor will have to pay a penalty for each day beyond the set date. This is usually due to lost revenue due to the project not being completed, such as in the case of rental units (or possibly a ride which will draw guests and increase revenue) On the other side of that, there is also sometimes a bonus for work completed ahead of schedule. The schedule will typically shift due to weather or owner directed changes, but typically there is always a set date of completion.

Hope that helps.

Ofcourse they do. We are part of their market, they like seeing how we react to things and some of our ideas. Actually, in Dick Kinzel's book he speaks about how they would read forums for ideas, reviews, criticisms, reactions etc. Don't forget a floorless conversion of Mantis was an enthusiast pipe dream for years before it happened.

BTW: I am not trying to say parks look to enthusiasts all the time, or act like enthusiasts are super important and blah blah blah