TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Camera 3 has a great shot of the work on Cedar Point Shores and the Breakers expansion. There's a cameo from the Magnum and Rougarou trains also. There's tons of work going on today.

Wow...they really opened up a lot of space there!

That's what I was thinking. With that much space, they could make a really great waterpark.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

Oh, and anybody who actually thinks there's anything inherently lame about cargo shorts needs to seriously get over themselves, and out of their pretentious little world...

If you're this offended about what one person thinks about your cargo shorts then I'm not sure it's the people who think they're inherently lame that need to reevaluate...

(Side note: nobody said you couldn't wear them - they're just ugly. Practical? Sure. Brutal? Absolutely.)

This is fun. I love the off-season.

I notice you conveniently left off the "razzy" smiley face that followed what you quoted, which along with making the print a funny tiny size, shows I was not making my comment in an angry "this offended" sort of way. I've just lived long enough, and have enough grounding to know that fashion trends come and go, and are nothing more than a person or group of people's opinion, which will inevitably change with the wind. So I chipped in my take and perspective on the matter, but in a tiny, unobtrusive way, because this is a Cedar Point forum, and not a fashion forum - offseason or not.

Besides, if you're this offended about what one person thinks about your opinion of cargo shorts (and go through the time and effort to post all of those links), then I'm not sure it's me that needs to reevaluate...

I leave for a few hours and now we're expecting them to re-track and put new trains on Magnum in "a couple years". What the f**k?

The thought of more trims and boring airtime hills on Magnum makes me want to vomit.

Magnum is a national treasure, and it shall be treated as such. Thank you.

I leave for a few hours and now we're expecting them to re-track and put new trains on Magnum in "a couple years". What the f**k?

The thought of more trims and boring airtime hills on Magnum makes me want to vomit.

Magnum is a national treasure, and it will be treated as such. Thank you.

The only thing that ~*might*~ need to be fixed is the awkward entrance into the pretzel turn around with the premature banking/trim combo. It's a minor gripe though. Unless they are replacing worn track, Magnum does not need to be touched cause it's one of the most wild hypers out there.

^ Agreed. Tony's the second best theme park PR guy anywhere. No one can beat Paula Werne.

Paula is like a gift to all of us! You have to check out the HW podcast if you haven't. Tony as well! And for anyone who remembers there was Bob Bennet (SFOT), Ruth Voss (Kings Island), Janice Lifke (CP) and bunch of others who were gracious enough to - at the least - humor us. Good people!

I haven't been on in a while, but I began to read back 20 pages and I still see there's a 2007 vs 2008 debate. Maybe somebody has already mentioned this, but if so, than I've missed it thus far.

Anyway, Dollywood originally wanted "Lightening Rod" to be open last spring. And although the structure was complete, it had kinks they had to work out. Their original goal for opening was missed by a long shot. Many were disappointed to find it not up and running after taking time off and making long trips there. It was frequently down all summer long, and I don't think it ever had anything more than a "soft opening" announcement.

I'm pretty sure Cedar Point has taken note of the Lightening Rod/Dollywood horrors and are therefore airing on the side of caution, especially if they are wanting RMC to try things that have never been tried before. This all being said, I'm expecting no further announcement before a soft opening toward the summer of 2017. And only if the ride proves fairly reliable for a month will they schedule a media day next year, though if it gets to August, a media day event would probably be getting fairly late. This is all pure speculation on my part and i could be totally wrong on how things play out.

To put my two cents on the Magnum debate- I completely disagree with re-tracking it, although some spots could use a little smoothing-out. However, I'm in full support of adding some sexy new B&M trains. I'm hearing nothing but glowing reviews of the B&M trains on Steel Dragon. And while yes, I know Arrow uses a very different track/wheel system than B&M or Morgan, I think it's definitely possible, and would fall right in line with updating and slightly improving the ride whilst keeping enough of it intact to please the people who value the history of the coaster. Now as for Boulder Dash losing its triple up...

I'm too lazy to post the quote from the blog but tony also said that the planning/development team at CP bought something at IAAPA...

Who wants to wager it was one of the following:

A) B&M trains for Magnum (There, I said it)

B) Maybe confirming the RMC purchase

C) Coaster #18 (It's #18 because Mean Streak is being RMCed, so the park still technically has 17 coasters, so a new one would make it 18)

Also, if it's coaster 18, my thoughts:

Please be RMC T-Rex, Please be RMC T-Rex, Please be RMC T-Rex, Please be RMC T-Rex...

I'm too lazy to post the quote from the blog but tony also said that the planning/development team at CP bought something at IAAPA...

Who wants to wager it was one of the following:

A) B&M trains for Magnum (There, I said it)

B) Maybe confirming the RMC purchase

C) Coaster #18 (It's #18 because Mean Streak is being RMCed, so the park still technically has 17 coasters, so a new one would make it 18)

Also, if it's coaster 18, my thoughts:

Please be RMC T-Rex, Please be RMC T-Rex, Please be RMC T-Rex, Please be RMC T-Rex...

There are no RMC T-Rex's coming soon. The RMC interview at IAAPA they essentially confirmed parks have bought Raptors when it's ready and that Raptor's are going to be installed before T Rex's, which are still more in conceptual/testing mode. Won't be coming for years.

I didn't ask about retracking because I think they should change the ride (those seats/restraints are bad tho). I mentioned it because it's a heavy duty steel machine whose parts (including the track) wear out. Arrow gave service life estimates to most of their rides. Ask Big Bad Wolf about it.

I was wondering when that window might be, and what they might do about it for such a famous ride.

Of course every other enthusiast will think it's a vague hint at a new ride.. I'll put my money on a new midway game, trendy food cart or similar item we won't notice!

Of course every other enthusiast will think it's a vague hint at a new ride.. I'll put my money on a new midway game, trendy food cart or similar item we won't notice!

You make a very, very good point.