TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Not everyone caries their phone to each ride in the park. I most of the time leave my phone in the car. At the very least if both my wife and I are there without the kids one of us leaves the phone behind and only carry the other for the babysitter to get a hold of us.

I like where you're going with this, but generally unless I conserve battery my phone is near death near the end of the day at a theme park. At Cedar Point if you go in the summer and stay all day you could easily be there from 9 AM to well after midnight so then you really need to have charging stations like Hershey does. Plus (even more importantly) you can't really do that since Cedar Fair likes to encourage people to put their phones in lockers, sometimes even scaring them with boxes full of broken phones that fell from the ride.

hqdefault.jpg

You can't then tell people to bring their phone on Millennium Force for example, a no loose article ride with 2 loading stations so they couldn't store phones even if they wanted to.

That's cool for y'all that don't bring a phone in, but I do, and almost everyone I know does, even people over 60. Six Flags has so much integration, my Gold Pass is on my cell phone. I don't even need the card now. Setting up times and all that is nice until people end up being delayed or run late, at which point everyone ends up hating each other. I'll happily live in the 21st century, thank you very much.

As for the loose article box 'o doom, it isn't like it is a logistical nightmare to figure out how to deal with cell phones. Right now, the Six Flags queue management system involves a Tamagotchi on a carabiner. I'm sure an alternative can be figured out like, I dunno, bins specific for those using queue jump systems or whatever. As is, all these places want me to use my phone anyways - Cedar Fair just signed a licensing deal to ensure I get ads while using their WiFi. Disney practically demands use of a phone if you want to get the most out of a MagicBand. Outside of theme parks, I can use my phone to get into a hotel room without ever going to the front desk, filled with all sorts of expensive stuff I could theoretically steal. Why have the band? Why not just use the damn phone?

so instead of thinking about it in a negative way like us not keeping up with times you could think of it as it is just much easier in our minds to wear that piece of paper around our arm then to worry about the phone all day. Parks are my break away from things and funny enough my job is to take care of my companies cell phones. I would rather put it away for the day and just enjoy my time and not make sure I have shorts with a zipper lol.

I'll happily live in the 21st century, thank you very much.

I'll happily live in the moment, in real-time with the people around me. More power to you, if that's what you like to do. I get tired of looking at my phone. It gets a break when I go into a park. Heck, I prefer to put it away when friends come over as well.

Why not just use the damn phone?

Because not everyone likes to take their phone in the park.

Remembering the smashed phone screen I got on Kentucky Rumbler... Nah, my devices can stay in the car. I refuse to be a slave to my phone at an amusement park.

Having your phone with you when necessary (and in emergencies) is much, much different than "being a slave to your phone."

Understood. I'm thinking about some friends that I meet up with and all they do is look at their phone the whole time. Extremely annoying.

I'm a fan of the pre drop and have a hard time picking Raging Bull or Goliath for better first drop..

It's nice to see the rare person who really appreciates Raging Bull's first drop. It's probably still my all time favorite.

I know it's not a popular opinion around here to hate on Disney but If I had to choose between the skip the line programs at Disney, Universal, Six Flags and Cedar Fair I'd take Cedar Fair in a heartbeat. It takes 2 seconds to get the wristband, it can be sold at any retail location so there are no lines to get it, it requires less staffing for the park than any of the other systems do, there's no setup, no reservation to keep track of, no instructions to follow, no bullsh*t. It's a paper wristband, it works great. Don't mess with it.

^This ^This ^This

Not everyone caries their phone to each ride in the park.

And to add to that, not everyone is a cell phone person. And before people jump my sh*t... Yes, I have a limited capabilities Amazon Fire "smart phone," but I choose to use it on an extremely limited basis.

Phone apps, wrist bands, and all that other crap are OK I guess. However, I love it when people marvel at how easy it is to make purchases with some of these apps and gadgets, while being virtually unaware of the design to benefit the park's revenue over the interest of the common consumer.

Edited by prozach626

That's cool for y'all that don't bring a phone in, but I do, and almost everyone I know does, even people over 60. Six Flags has so much integration, my Gold Pass is on my cell phone. I don't even need the card now. Setting up times and all that is nice until people end up being delayed or run late, at which point everyone ends up hating each other. I'll happily live in the 21st century, thank you very much.

Having your phone with you when necessary (and in emergencies) is much, much different than "being a slave to your phone."

Understood. I'm thinking about some friends that I meet up with and all they do is look at their phone the whole time. Extremely annoying.

Sounds like you need some new friends.

I get what DirkFunk is saying, none of the obstacles with this are really insurmountable and they'll probably head that way eventually, what they're doing now though costs them so little money that I don't see them being in much of a hurry to make a change. I could always be wrong though.

I like leaving my phone to not worry about it, but I also like taking pictures. Then I also use the Fun Pix thing. I bought the season so I use my phone for my pass as well as scanning our on ride photos at every ride when we get off. I go with different people every time and everyone enjoys getting their pictures. I think it ultimately comes down to self control. If you can not look at your phone, and it's safe with you, and you won't lose it, it's literally no different than if you were to leave it in a locke r. It's just convenient for some to carry their phones and convenient for others to leave it in a locke r. I downsized my wallet to one of those Secrid ones so I can only carry like 4 cards with me. So it's nice to have some of my cards on my phone including my passes and tickets.

I'd just like to add on that side note that Raging Bull's first drop is my *just* behind El Toro's for me. It's perfect, especially when you have a good 3 to 4 clicks and ops aren't touching the lapbar at all. I was well above the seat the entire drop and it was goddamn terrifying. I love that ride.

^Sadly I never been on El Toro. Its why i want to go one day that ride and drops look so epic! However being that Great America is my home park and i been on Raging Bull several times not sure if i'd rank its drop that high. Dont get my wrong the drop is a lot of fun! However i wouldnt say its the best of the best either even if it is pretty much my favorite ride at Great America. Its actually a toss up between Goliath and Raging Bull as favorites and last time i went to Great America it seemed Goliath's first drop was way more intense. Being this is a Cedar Point thread and not Great America i'd say the best first drop at CP would be M-force of course. Second would be Mavrick. Although small its steepness makes you feel like you are going to fall! TTDs drop is nice but then again it happens so quickly you dont know what just hit you! However i love TTD for its intense speed and height

^I've come to appreciate Raging Bull's first drop a great deal ... still not a big B&M guy, but I do love that drop. Great America is my home park too, but I still seem to have more fun on Demon's little *but snapping* first drop, and the unique/ever-steepening grand-ness of American Eagle. Goliath is good too, but I'm not a big fan of being stapled that hard to seat with a hard plastic thing between my legs. Heck, with Whizzer's awesome ramp, we sure do have a park full of unique first drops.

Back to Cedar Point - lot's of great drops there, but Gemini is the only one that really slams you out. It's a round break-over; "circles and lines" does it!

I've got a whole array of cameras now, but when I go to most parks, I just bring in my cell phone in lieu of one. Fun Pix, the Battle for Cedar Point, tracking wait times; if you don't have a cell phone on you (and possibly a battery pack for it), you are not gonna be experiencing the park to its best. If they'd just move the platinum pass to the app, that would be best yet, but since every park has a different app, probably no rush.

I've got a whole array of cameras now, but when I go to most parks, I just bring in my cell phone in lieu of one. Fun Pix, the Battle for Cedar Point, tracking wait times; if you don't have a cell phone on you (and possibly a battery pack for it), you are not gonna be experiencing the park to its best. If they'd just move the platinum pass to the app, that would be best yet, but since every park has a different app, probably no rush.

I was able to scan my Platinum Pass into the Cedar Point app on my iPhone. I also scanned it into the Carowinds and Kings Island apps.

You don't need a phone for FunPix and I wouldn't call tracking wait times "part of the park experience". So the only thing that I missed by not having my phone on me at CP was the Battle for CP, which we wouldn't have wanted to spend time on anyway.

I legit don't understand who wouldn't want to see all the park's wait times...well, other than a Fast Lane person. I look at that when I'm not already in line for something to help plan my day, especially since it includes closures.

Also unless I'm missing it, there isn't a space for the season pass to be entered in the Android version. I guess I'll check again in 6 months when I go to a CF park again and download the new-improved app.

You couldn't pay me to carry my phone into the park. I avoid it at all costs. If I have to meet up with friends, we agree on a time and place.

I'm going to avoid sounding like an ass as much as possible here, but have you ever tried your back pocket? Ever since I've started going to parks more often, I've put my phone in my back pocket, and it stays there unless I'm A) trying to meet up, B) taking touristy pictures, or C) killing time in a long queue. To date, it has fallen out on a coaster precisely 0 times.

I legit don't understand who wouldn't want to see all the park's wait times...well, other than a Fast Lane person. I look at that when I'm not already in line for something to help plan my day, especially since it includes closures.

Also unless I'm missing it, there isn't a space for the season pass to be entered in the Android version. I guess I'll check again in 6 months when I go to a CF park again and download the new-improved app.

If you swipe left from the home screen, "My Season Passes" is the fourth option down.

This. I have android and have my pass on the CP and KI apps.

You couldn't pay me to carry my phone into the park. I avoid it at all costs. If I have to meet up with friends, we agree on a time and place.

I'm going to avoid sounding like an A$$ as much as possible here, but have you ever tried your back pocket? Ever since I've started going to parks more often, I've put my phone in my back pocket, and it stays there unless I'm A) trying to meet up, B) taking touristy pictures, or C) killing time in a long queue. To date, it has fallen out on a coaster precisely 0 times.

So like, sitting on your phone on the ride? Not the best idea when you're putting I don't know many pounds of pressure on the screen. Your weight x 5g's at the bottom of the drop...I did this once on Banshee and my Galaxy cracked for the first time.