TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So now that it's the off season, what glorious things will this thread bring us?

We will count down the months until Mean Streak re-opens... Speaking of which, only 19-months left! (...according to people on this site )

You could get pregnant and have a baby TWICE before it opens

Thank you for pointing out about 5 trains . . . . I know TTD's cousin Kinga Ka can run 3 trains at once (assuming both loading platforms are used).

Kingda Ka can actually run 4 trains at once, they just choose to run a maximum of 3 because they're Six Flags and have only used 1 of the 4 available loading stations for years now. Now that Zumanjaro is attached to the ride, it's lowered capacity even further but they were only running 2-3 trains for years leading up to Zumanjaro. Dragster blows Kingda Ka away in that department.

Rollbacks aren't overly common with people on the train. They generally happen first thing in the morning or right after a lengthy breakdown. Dragster can absolutely launch in cold weather (they probably don't run it below 40 degrees but that's rare at Cedar Point during their operating season) but it won't run in rain or high winds. It does have a higher wind threshold than something like Sky Ride or Windseeker though so it's very rare for Dragster to be down for an entire day due to wind. It's absolutely possible but not a major concern most of the time.

Interestingly enough, there is some thought behind Dragster only running 5 of 6 trains during normal operation. When I worked there, the main reason was capacity. They found there was zero gain in capacity when adding the 6th train the the circuit. Eliminating the sixth train essentially cut down maintenance needed on trains and also left a spare to swap out when a train had to be removed. Another reason the remove the sixth is it cut down on idle time for riders waiting to exit the ride, improving guest comfort waiting to exit. They usually rotate the color that's idle for the season, you will notice it's usually the same color off track for the whole season unless another train needs a large repair.

So now that it's the off season, what glorious things will this thread bring us?

Well to begin

1) we must find the boat

2) we must throw the boat a welcome back party

3) wait for the complainers to come out

4) wait for the complainers to complain about the complainers

5) get a Mean Streak update

6) hopefully see if there is any progress on Mean Streak

7) hopefully another cool Christmas video by the full timers

8) more post of the boat

9) Mean Streak

And we can throw in the sky ride as always.

I know the popular speculation right now is that Ripcord will be going to the STR location. Personally, I'd rather Ripcord be placed somewhere else and reserve the STR location for a larger addition in the future.

I agree and was thinking the same thing on my visit in June. This

seems to echo that emotion as well. But if Ripcord does wind up going in that spot, I figure there are 2 other locations that could work too (Mine Ride or the area next to MF/Thunder Canyon)..

Badlands - Cedar Point GCI Wooden Coaster (YT User: OpticalKiwi | https://www.noahroth.com )

This coaster is a concept of a GCI coaster that is in the place of where Shoot the Rapids previously was. This video is simply a prediction of what may come to be of the site of Shoot the Rapids. No information is provided nor verified by Cedar Point.

Height: 121 ft

Speed: 54 mph

Length: 3193 ft

Thank you for pointing out about 5 trains . . . . I know TTD's cousin Kinga Ka can run 3 trains at once (assuming both loading platforms are used).

Kingda Ka can actually run 4 trains at once, they just choose to run a maximum of 3 because they're Six Flags and have only used 1 of the 4 available loading stations for years now. Now that Zumanjaro is attached to the ride, it's lowered capacity even further but they were only running 2-3 trains for years leading up to Zumanjaro. Dragster blows Kingda Ka away in that department.

Rollbacks aren't overly common with people on the train. They generally happen first thing in the morning or right after a lengthy breakdown. Dragster can absolutely launch in cold weather (they probably don't run it below 40 degrees but that's rare at Cedar Point during their operating season) but it won't run in rain or high winds. It does have a higher wind threshold than something like Sky Ride or Windseeker though so it's very rare for Dragster to be down for an entire day due to wind. It's absolutely possible but not a major concern most of the time.

Interestingly enough, there is some thought behind Dragster only running 5 of 6 trains during normal operation. When I worked there, the main reason was capacity. They found there was zero gain in capacity when adding the 6th train the the circuit. Eliminating the sixth train essentially cut down maintenance needed on trains and also left a spare to swap out when a train had to be removed. Another reason the remove the sixth is it cut down on idle time for riders waiting to exit the ride, improving guest comfort waiting to exit. They usually rotate the color that's idle for the season, you will notice it's usually the same color off track for the whole season unless another train needs a large repair.

Wanted to add it was more than zero gain with the 6th train, the capacity is actually lower with 6 trains and more efficient with 5. I know the exact reason why but that falls into the grey area of things I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say. This past season all 6 trains were on transfer and they rotated a different train out each day. Green train was taken off late in the season after the cable snapped.

I know the popular speculation right now is that Ripcord will be going to the STR location. Personally, I'd rather Ripcord be placed somewhere else and reserve the STR location for a larger addition in the future.

I agree and was thinking the same thing on my visit in June. This

seems to echo that emotion as well. But if Ripcord does wind up going in that spot, I figure there are 2 other locations that could work too (Mine Ride or the area next to MF/Thunder Canyon)..

Badlands - Cedar Point GCI Wooden Coaster (YT User: OpticalKiwi | https://www.noahroth.com )

This coaster is a concept of a GCI coaster that is in the place of where Shoot the Rapids previously was. This video is simply a prediction of what may come to be of the site of Shoot the Rapids. No information is provided nor verified by Cedar Point.

Height: 121 ft

Speed: 54 mph

Length: 3193 ft

I think this is an awesome GCI concept, especially for being fan made. I've always wanted to see a GCI at CP.

If you remove things of course you have space. They have little space to just add.

I'm sorry, I just have to vent for a second.

This has got to be one of the most idiotic statements I have ever heard about bigger parks, most especially Cedar Point.

Have YOU actually walked around Cedar Point? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? There is so much space EVERYWHERE!!!

The peninsula at Cedar Point is HUGE. It's gotta be the biggest amount of land of any park in the world, maybe minus Epcot. I'm a pretty fit guy and it is EXHAUSTING to walk around the park if you want to get from one end of the park to the other. My home park is Magic Mountain, and that can be tiring, but Cedar Point beats it hands down. If Cedar Point wants to they could probably build another 4-6 major coasters without taking any other major roller coaster out. Look at the google maps.

Then look at a park like Grona Lund and see how they've put coaster on top of coaster, and then try to convince me Cedar Point has little space.

Your post has no validation whatsoever.

If you remove things of course you have space. They have little space to just add.

I'm sorry, I just have to vent for a second.

This has got to be one of the most idiotic statements I have ever heard about bigger parks, most especially Cedar Point.

Have YOU actually walked around Cedar Point? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? There is so much space EVERYWHERE!!!

The peninsula at Cedar Point is HUGE. It's gotta be the biggest amount of land of any park in the world, maybe minus Epcot. I'm a pretty fit guy and it is EXHAUSTING to walk around the park if you want to get from one end of the park to the other. My home park is Magic Mountain, and that can be tiring, but Cedar Point beats it hands down. If Cedar Point wants to they could probably build another 4-6 major coasters without taking any other major roller coaster out. Look at the google maps.

Then look at a park like Grona Lund and see how they've put coaster on top of coaster, and then try to convince me Cedar Point has little space.

Your post has no validation whatsoever.

OMG. CF in their own annual reports there is no new land available for development at CP. The only way to add is to remove things. I guess you're blind or not bright to notice that's exactly what they are doing. How are they expanding the water park and Breakers? Tearing things out! Bye Bye Challenge Park for example. They also have used huge amounts of land for hotels, the cabins, etc... These lodging things are great ROI over actual rides and will not be removed. In fact, they keep expanding the lodging b/c it's such a good ROI. Btw, the dumbest logic ever is b/c you get tired, can't be as fit as you claim, walking the park, means there is land for expansion. Also, no US park would ever created the "ball of yarn" of rides of Grona Lund. US parks view compacting stuff like that has an accident waiting to happen.ie...objects falling from riders and the inevitable lawsuit It also looks like garbage and is poor park design done out of desperation.

Edited by eugjackson

November 1st and our first <> is out of room post! Yay!

Yes, but the pointless hostility in the argument is hilariously entertaining!

I guess you're blind or not bright to notice that's exactly what they are doing.

Why so serious?

look at a park like Grona Lund and see how they've put coaster on top of coaster, and then try to convince me Cedar Point has little space.

no US park would ever created the "ball of yarn" of rides of Grona Lund. US parks view compacting stuff like that has an accident waiting to happen.ie...objects falling from riders and the inevitable lawsuit It also looks like garbage and is poor park design done out of desperation.

Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall of America says Hi. NU may be no Grona Lund, but they have coasters bobbing and weaving around attractions and over walkways. And if you look over at that thread, there is constant talk about adding another such coaster that bobs & weaves throughout the park. While the park has removed attractions to make room for others, the removed attractions were at the end of their life spans. All CP needs is a little creativity in coaster design.