TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

A- Thank you for Wicked Cyclone comment! SFNE for life!

B- I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything, but I found Boulder Dash enjoyable. Everyone has their own thing, and I completely respect that.

I don't want to start a flame war either. So let me know start by saying Boulder Dash is fun. It's been on my bucket list for a while. However, it's a ride I can only do once. That triple up was so brutal it hurt to ride Phobia afterwards...... If GCI comes in an retracks it, I can see justifying it's #1 spot on the awards list. Until then... #LightningRod2017

I just rode Boulder Dash recently with very high expectations and I love rough coasters, but it was a bit too rough and that triple up made it where I didn't want to ride again. I ended up passing on a night ride because it was so brutal and honestly I am surprised they run it with the condition of that triple up.

I hope it'll get a full retrack, or at least have the triple up removed/fixed as expected. I can't wait to try it again when it isn't so awful. I can tell it would be potentially my #1 if it was bearable.

A GCI retrack would be good, but an RMC would be way too much.

As much as I love (obsessed with )RMC, and Boulder Dash with Topper Track would be too much. We've got to keep the classic wooden coasters around too.

There's nothing "classic" about Bolder Dash, but the idea that they'd ever RMC it is asinine and not worthy of discussion IMO.

Some facts about the Cedar Point Von Roll Skyride.

Oldest Von Roll VR 101 Skyride in the USA Built in 1961 at a cost of 300,000 Dollars.

The Cedar Point Skyride uses the exact same blueprints for there Top Drive as the first Von Roll Skyride in the USA ,The Disneyland Skyway. The sound of the Cedar Point Skyride,the direction, the structure of the drive is a carbon copy of the Disneyland Skyway.

Haul rope is 27mm.

Doppelmayr ropeways has all the parts available for all the remaining Von Roll Skyrides. I do run a group on Facebook called Von Roll type 101 Skyrides and the Disneyland Skyway . Please check it out..

IMG_20150531_125331.thumb.jpg.d20c79bb428ea3d2f023b3fc136e2edc.jpg

Found this on GOCCs instagram.More track is gone. They're really ramping up the work.

Photo credit: Great Ohio Coaster Club

I think I might know why they're working so fast... No wait, they're totally not opening next year, definitely just completing major demo and erecting track 17 months before opening - Super normal time-frame...

I'm fully expecting an announcement before the end of the year, hopefully right around close-of-season (aka next week)

I think I might know why they're working so fast... No wait, they're totally not opening next year, definitely just completing major demo and erecting track 17 months before opening - Super normal time-frame...

I'm fully expecting an announcement before the end of the year, hopefully right around close-of-season (aka next week)

Me too! I hope they make an announcement by the end of this year. They can't hide what's going on much longer...

And I'd like to prove a few people wrong who keep saying this will open in 2018...

The wager should have been that Cedar Point brings back Mean Streak if the Cubs win.

What if Cleveland wins and Six Flags chooses to name rename Cedar Point's new 2016 RMC, lol.

The New Iron Twisted Streak Presented by M&M's

I've been following the park for over 20 years so I wanted to chime in on why I think its perfect normal for them not have made an announcement yet.

1) They have announced projects late before - both Wicked Twister & Dragster were announced after the season. WT= Late Nov, Dragster = Jan. Both were well under construction before park closed for the season.

2) The park said Dragster was suppose to be announced shortly after track arrived in August but the park got so much free PR and buzz out of the track arriving they decided to wait. Maverick was more than 1/2 complete by the time they announced it.

3) The park's GM said in August when asked about Mean Streak's replacement that they knew everyone was talking about it and they would wait it out

4) Hotel reservations for 2017 haven't opened up yet - hotels are a HUGE part of CP's business model. It would make a lot of sense to announce a new ride when you open up your hotel reservations. Generally they start taking reservations mid-Nov.

But most importantly the reason they likely aren't in any rush is because of threads like this. Everyone in the coaster community is talking about, the news media is picking up on it (article in Cleveland's big paper this week). Announcements are suppose to generate buzz - but there is already buzz.

They know what they are doing - they got their name in the news for the ride's closure, for the ride's closing day, now for the ride's construction. They'll announce when the buzz starts to die down.

I've been following the park for over 20 years so I wanted to chime in on why I think its perfect normal for them not have made an announcement yet.

1) They have announced projects late before - both Wicked Twister & Dragster were announced after the season. WT= Late Nov, Dragster = Jan. Both were well under construction before park closed for the season.

2) The park said Dragster was suppose to be announced shortly after track arrived in August but the park got so much free PR and buzz out of the track arriving they decided to wait. Maverick was more than 1/2 complete by the time they announced it.

3) The park's GM said in August when asked about Mean Streak's replacement that they knew everyone was talking about it and they would wait it out

4) Hotel reservations for 2017 haven't opened up yet - hotels are a HUGE part of CP's business model. It would make a lot of sense to announce a new ride when you open up your hotel reservations. Generally they start taking reservations mid-Nov.

But most importantly the reason they likely aren't in any rush is because of threads like this. Everyone in the coaster community is talking about, the news media is picking up on it (article in Cleveland's big paper this week). Announcements are suppose to generate buzz - but there is already buzz.

They know what they are doing - they got their name in the news for the ride's closure, for the ride's closing day, now for the ride's construction. They'll announce when the buzz starts to die down.

That does make sense...

If its for an RMCed Mean Streak, then yeah, it's about as big a deal as TTD, so in that case, I'm gonna guess probably Nov-New Year's announcement range.

I think it's possible that they didn't announce it earlier in the year with everything because of Valravn. When Cedar Fair made all their announcements there were still a lot of people who hadn't ridden Valravn and were likely to go before the end of the season, however if they announce a major new coaster this subset of people will hold off their trip until next year. It seems silly but I know of parks that have done this before. If they decided to hold off on all of the announcements in the chain until after the season the parks couldn't do their end of the year "buy a season pass for next year" deal. Its a business and every dollar counts.

Sounds like a conspiracy but I know someone who works in Revenue Management at WDW and his whole job is to figure stuff like this out and run each scenario through a bunch of models to see which one yields the highest return...so I promise i'm not crazy

I think it's possible that they didn't announce it earlier in the year with everything because of Valravn. When Cedar Fair made all their announcements there were still a lot of people who hadn't ridden Valravn and were likely to go before the end of the season, however if they announce a major new coaster this subset of people will hold off their trip until next year. It seems silly but I know of parks that have done this before. If they decided to hold off on all of the announcements in the chain until after the season the parks couldn't do their end of the year "buy a season pass for next year" deal. Its a business and every dollar counts.

Sounds like a conspiracy but I know someone who works in Revenue Management at WDW and his whole job is to figure stuff like this out and run each scenario through a bunch of models to see which one yields the highest return...so I promise i'm not crazy

I totally believe you. It makes perfect PR sense

I totally believe you. It makes perfect PR sense

I think Cedar Fare would be stupid not to do this. I'm still planning on going next year regardless as I've never been and so many epic looking rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a few more images if Mean Streak from Friday. Looks like most of the lift hill and the overbanked turn over the lift is gone.

It's Frankenstreak...

They chopped the *bleep* out of it!! Can't see this taking 19 months to complete #team2017