TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Anybody see the wager between Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point? I think it will be hilarious if the Cubs won and Cedar Point had to rename Dragster to Kinga Ka

This is such a fun bet between the two parks. It probably doesn't matter which team wins, it's free advertising for both parks. It's fun to think of what the name changes might be.

TTD changed to "No longer the tallest - The ride"

MF changed to Millennium Forceless

Raging Bull to Sedated Bull

Or the winning park will make a poll and Coaster McCoasterface will get chosen.

Rename Magnum to Titanic because it's sinking.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to an RMCed Mean Streak. That ride was insanely rattly and uncomfortable.

Yeah, so does every sane person that's ridden that death trap of a coaster.

Wouldn't exactly call it a death trap, but definitely would benefit from an Iron Horse treatment. Wicked Cyclone at SFNE is great!

Sorry, it's the only RMC I've ever ridden, so I can't give too many opinions there.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to an RMCed Mean Streak. That ride was insanely rattly and uncomfortable.

3a69ffaf3276cb773fc5ede28c2d8ecb.625x475x1.jpg

In all seriousness though of course everyone is looking forward to the RMC, I know I am... but Mean Streak was a lot of fun if you were willing to follow the ridiculous instructions on how to make it good.

A part of me will always miss that giant pile of sh*t ride.

Wouldn't exactly call it a death trap, but definitely would benefit from an Iron Horse treatment. Wicked Cyclone at SFNE is great!

Sorry, it's the only RMC I've ever ridden, so I can't give too many opinions there.

I've been on far worse wooden coasters than Mean Streak (such as Thunderhawk and Boulder Dash) that can use an I-Box track. If Mean Streak is going to be anything like Wicked Cyclone (which is by far the best RMC coaster to date), it's going to be RMCs crowning achievement. Let's hope that 200 foot plus, 45 degree lift is a part of the plan.

Still excited from 1st time visit to CP this past Sunday with my 16 year old son after a few days visiting the UM campus and a game at the Big House...technically I was at CP when I was 8 years old...well I'm 49, so you can easily see what was new since my last visit...technically I don't even count that visit at this point...

In summary, we had an awesome day...we stayed at Castaway Bay for one night only...which worried me based on some reviews I had read but ended up being an overall good experience...we arrived around 9:15 am thinking we would only be able to pick up our Park Tickets for early admission but were able to check in to our room and drop our bags before hitting the park...we managed the front row in the lot and quickly processed our FP Plus tickets...at 9:45 it seemed like it was going to be a very chilly day but that certainly changed as the day evolved and I think peaked around 70-72 for a better part of the afternoon...great luck on weather also equated to large crowds...seemed like very large crowds for a Sunday.

Early entry allowed us to hit Gatekeeper, Valravn, and Maverick before the masses descended upon the park. Keep in mind I had not been to CP and ever seen these epic coasters that I've read about for a long, long time...it was a blast to be able to ride the 1st Hyper, 1st Giga, TTD, and Maverick after all these years...not to mention Valravn in its 1st year. FP Plus allowed us re-rides on most of the coasters but we did try our hardest to hit every coaster in the park at least once...my son did not see the humor in his Dad dragging him onto the CP Mine Train or Gemini but I insisted they were required.

I will not do a review of the whole park or our whole day since CP has been covered so often on TPR. I will say that we had crazy fun on Valravn in the front row outside seats...the ride was so smooth and much longer than I anticipated...it was definitely not a one trick pony...Maverick was everything and probably my favorite and new #1...I will say that I'm very glad I never rode this coaster before the new restraints..I can imagine the pain it may have inflicted with OTSRs...but the vests were super comfortable and it was a blast...why are there not more of these in the U.S.? Magnum was just an o.k. for me and we honestly only rode it once so didn't get to try out different locations. TTD was open in the AM and we hit the obligatory front row ride...it was truly Xcelerator on steroids as I had imagined it would be...I was glad we got in the ride as at some point it seemed to stop operating and I'm not sure I ever saw it re-open after lunch.

So the few who may know me on here might know that I love coasters and am terrified of heights...so MF was an intimidating lift but I knew that it was an absolute must...what a blast...nothing on this coaster disappointed...loved every moment...I know many have ridden it so many times that the thrill has probably long worn off...but those first rides...wow...and just to really get me, our last ride at dusk featured an approximate 5-8 second stop near the top of the lift which seemed like 5-8 mins to me and would surely have put me into cardiac arrest had it lasted any longer!!

I would say that the biggest surprise to me was Rugarou which we really enjoyed (especially compared to Scream here in SoCal) and biggest disappointment was definitely Gatekeeper...it just did nothing for either of us...we did skip Iron Dragon as it was not on FP and the line seemed too long for the reviews I've read and we skipped the classic Corkscrew because no interest in

As I posted earlier today, I was completely impressed on almost every coaster with the Ride Ops at CP...they were cranking every time on Valravn, MF, Maverick, and TTD...not so much on Blue Streak but we did enjoy our ride on a classic beach coaster...o.k. I enjoyed it, my son, not nearly as much...

Biggest disappointments were quality of food and restrooms...ugh...no one can complain about SFMM restrooms being the worse as they were pretty bad everywhere in CP...did appreciate the Starbucks near the front of the park for an afternoon break.

Oh and the Skyride being closed...of course...! I came all this way only to be denied a turn on the Skyride...

Since we only had limited time, we really didn't hit the flats or have a chance to take in Haunts...the park was definitely decorated very well for Halloween throughout...how many pumpkins died for CP??

I can vouch that MS lift demolition has begun and I vow to return to ride the new RMC giant I'm sure is being created in its spot.

A few photos...all have been posted before...well not the one's of us...hope folks enjoy a few 1st time thoughts and reactions.

419794642_BandJCP.jpg.00a3c9a40e4d9813b4df7d0ddf8f04c4.jpg

Ready to brave the chill...that will change soon!

Valravn.jpg.306956be5e639e794c414ecab90bb74c.jpg

1st Ride

1979338154_JValravn.jpg.8591072606d0630a4e26d3aa0cc7d74a.jpg

Obligatory Pose

MF.jpg.b21033579d003010979a3969a27dd3ef.jpg

I feel the call...that lift!

Maverick.jpg.753f0f0fdea9045a970a0385bff37173.jpg

A brand new #1

1370544102_MeanStreakConstruction.jpg.6ebb5fd7afcad9bd67d2885cc51e5796.jpg

Lift hill construction validated

Graveyard.jpg.3d6c07c8f8167801b52be4e3a0f36899.jpg

Entire Graveyard was well done...

TTD.jpg.324484168acd7223548290a83c4bec6d.jpg

Never been posted before...

Farewell.jpg.029d6a54d35fc35a1c04dda90f860f5f.jpg

All great days must end...

315654152_InstagramPic.jpg.ebfaa447e047bcbc3a21971a3913424a.jpg

We will be back...!

I've been on far worse wooden coasters than Mean Streak (such as Thunderhawk and Boulder Dash) that can use an I-Box track. If Mean Streak is going to be anything like Wicked Cyclone (which is by far the best RMC coaster to date), it's going to be RMCs crowning achievement. Let's hope that 200 foot plus, 45 degree lift is a part of the plan.

A- Thank you for Wicked Cyclone comment! SFNE for life!

B- I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything, but I found Boulder Dash enjoyable. Everyone has their own thing, and I completely respect that.

That up there was posted by someone else. I formatted the quote thing bad. Whoops :/

Credit to annatheshortest for posting that

Anyways:

B- I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything, but I found Boulder Dash enjoyable. Everyone has their own thing, and I completely respect that.

If you rode it this year, you might have a different experience. That triple up destroyed my spine.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2016/10/makeover_of_mean_streak_roller.html

Makeover of Mean Streak roller coaster under way at Cedar Point (photos)

By Susan Glaser, The Plain Dealer

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on October 25, 2016 at 9:15 AM, updated October 25, 2016 at 7:20 PM

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Cedar Point's Mean Streak roller coaster, which closed last month, is in the midst of a dramatic makeover that coaster fans say could make it one of the best rides in the park. ....

The resurrection of Mean Streak is perhaps the worst kept secret in the amusement park industry.

In an email Monday, park spokesman Tony Clark said: "We don't have any new info to share. It's all very exciting though, isn't it?"

A woman who answered the phone at Rocky Mountain Construction said she couldn't talk about the project. "When they make their announcement, we're free to talk about it."

A woman who answered the phone at Rocky Mountain Construction said she couldn't talk about the project. "When they make their announcement, we're free to talk about it."

Boy phrasing sure is important, isn't it? Big difference between that answer and "We are unable to comment on any projects that haven't been announced by our clients".

I don't want to start a flame war either. So let me know start by saying Boulder Dash is fun. It's been on my bucket list for a while. However, it's a ride I can only do once. That triple up was so brutal it hurt to ride Phobia afterwards...... If GCI comes in an retracks it, I can see justifying it's #1 spot on the awards list. Until then... #LightningRod2017