TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

92 feet, wow. I did not realize it's taller than Corkscrew. Skyride would have been the tallest ride in the park until Gemini was built.

Not quite, but it was the tallest ride in the park until 1965. Space Spiral was 330 ft tall. That was the tallest ride in the park from 1965 until Dragster opened in 2003.

Ah yes, forgot about Space Spiral. Odd too, I love observation towers, and at any place that has one, they're a must ride. The peninsula from that height would have been quite a sight!

92 feet, wow. I did not realize it's taller than Corkscrew. Skyride would have been the tallest ride in the park until Gemini was built.

Not quite, but it was the tallest ride in the park until 1965. Space Spiral was 330 ft tall. That was the tallest ride in the park from 1965 until Dragster opened in 2003.

Ah yes, forgot about Space Spiral. Odd too, I love observation towers, and at any place that has one, they're a must ride. The peninsula from that height would have been quite a sight!

Im surprised they were able to build a 330 foot tall ride in 1965. Why did it take until 2000 to get a coaster to that height? I guess coasters didn't even reach 200 feet until 1989.

On another note, it's really nice that CP breaks or has broken most records so that I only have to go to the list of coasters on their Wikipedia page to figure out which coasters were the first to do things.

^ Because Space Spiral was built by Von Roll and those guys were spec-f**king-tacular engineers who were way ahead of their time. actually I think it was a pair of companies that was later acquired by Von Roll, but close enough

Must've been. And I guess we didn't have a coaster reach 330 feet until 2003 with Dragster (to correct my earlier post)

Have there been any observation rides taller than that since then or was Space Spiral a one-of-a-kind ride?

I really like not talking about Mean Streak for once

Thought i would jump in on this . Im a Von Roll VR 101 historian,model builder, parts consultant,mechanic ,operator of these great rides. I was reading back and the cable is supplied by a company in Switzerland called Fatzer. 27mm if i recall. All the parts for Von Roll VR 101 Skyrides are supplied by Doppelmayr. There are 11 such Von Roll VR 101 Skyrides in the USA and 15 World wide. The oldest was built in 1953 and still is in great operating condition. As for the cable being welded together . That is false . It is spliced together. The splice is about 80 feet in length. I do run a group on Facebook that is nothing but Von Roll Skyrides past and present. Look up VonRoll type 101 Skyrides and the Disneyland Skyway.

^^The awesome thing about the former station still standing in Frontier town is that the second floor which now uses supplies for park services (well at least it did in 2003 last time I was up there) still has all the station markings painted on the floor. You can go up there and it's like a time warp to when it was an active station. Kinda cool to see.

The former Sky Ride Station at SFStL that now acts as an arcade and exit building for The Joker (our swinging ship) still has its markings on the floor too. Its a nice reminder of days gone by.

I actually rode the Frontier Lift a few times back in the day! I have a 1983 and 1986 Souvenir map too, though I see now pictures have been posted. While the current Sky Ride is a nice, refreshing ride to take a spin on, I did much prefer the Frontier Lift, and it really was a pretty view, since everything was so much more wooded and rustic back then! I do miss it, though Iron Dragon was my favorite coaster in the world when I went to CP back in 88, so hard to say that I would have preferred it not exist, since it served its purpose for a 10 year old!

Since I asked for advice relating to the wind at Cedar Point this past weekend, I thought I'd share my experience with a very mini TR.

We arrived fairly late on Friday for a couple of reasons, got checked in at Lighthouse Point, and went to our cottage. The wind was ROARING off the lake. We went into the park and got rides on Gatekeeper and Valravn. These seemed to be the only 2 coasters operating due to the wind. Walking up to Valravn for the first time, at night, with that ominous music playing, through the courtyard under the ride, with the timing to be right at the lowest point of the drop as a train came through...moderately intimidating...even for someone who has been on many larger coasters and drop coasters before.

Saturday was still quite windy, and Skyride and Windseeker never moved the whole weekend. Magnum and a couple others took a while for the wind to die down before they opened, but most things were open from the start, and eventually everything but Skyride and Windseeker opened, closing only occasionally. So overall, the wind didn't play much of a factor for us, which was awesome.

We did get Fastlane Plus around 12:30 on Saturday as it did get fairly busy, and it was definitely worth it. Sunday we were pretty tired, and after Saturday were spoiled by the Fastlane, so we left around halfway through the day.

Rides:

Millenium Force 3x

Maverick 2x

Magnum 3x

Rougarou 3x

Gatekeeper 2x

Valravn 2x

TTD 2x

Gemini 1x

Corkscrew 1x

Blue Streak 2x

Wicked Twister 1x

Raptor 1x

CCMR 1x

Iron Dragon 1x

Power Tower 2x(one each)

Skyhawk 4x

Maxair 2x

Wave Swinger 1x (scariest ride in the park...)

Also, enjoy a few of the limited pictures I took. I bet these are new and exciting angles that nobody has ever seen before...

IMAG0896.jpg.123389ad88bc216b4a6b334aaf5d45fe.jpg

IMAG0899.jpg.b3046d7ad9fb89c030c08db6b240a6da.jpg

IMAG0903.jpg.ffb5a920afdf94a66a37b561c0ce3f63.jpg

IMAG0906.thumb.jpg.b58fc3e4671effb9cea12ee2fff2d689.jpg

Anybody see the wager between Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point? I think it will be hilarious if the Cubs won and Cedar Point had to rename Dragster to Kinga Ka

Bet between Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point

I'm in Ohio and know someone who plays for Cleveland, yet I think it would be hilarious if SFGAm renamed one of CP's coasters for opening weekend! I wonder to what extent they will carry out the bet? Put temporary signage over the ride sign and change the maps just for the weekend?

Anybody see the wager between Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point? I think it will be hilarious if the Cubs won and Cedar Point had to rename Dragster to Kinga Ka

Bet between Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point

I'm in Ohio and know someone who plays for Cleveland, yet I think it would be hilarious if SFGAm renamed one of CP's coasters for opening weekend! I wonder to what extent they will carry out the bet? Put temporary signage over the ride sign and change the maps just for the weekend?

I swear to God, if they rename Millennium Force, Valravn, or GateKeeper, I'm gonna lose it.

This is such a fun bet between the two parks. It probably doesn't matter which team wins, it's free advertising for both parks. It's fun to think of what the name changes might be.

TTD changed to "No longer the tallest - The ride"

MF changed to Millennium Forceless

Raging Bull to Sedated Bull

Or the winning park will make a poll and Coaster McCoasterface will get chosen.

Or the winning park will make a poll and Coaster McCoasterface will get chosen.

Funny, but I doubt it will be that harsh. Granted I know it's not that harsh, but we're in the middle of the offended revolution. That, and most people outside of the enthusiast community wouldn't really get it. I could see it being much more juvenile along the lines of "Raging Kitten" vs. "Valchicken." Still clever, still funny, but not taking any real shots at their staple attractions.

Eh. You're probably right. Of course they'd name the opposing park ride after their own sports team. I probably should have realized that. I play a crap ton of ice hockey for your average 31 year old, but I'm missing that sports nut gene. It's all boring to me, with the exception of the NHL playoffs, which I can still only take so much.

This is such a fun bet between the two parks. It probably doesn't matter which team wins, it's free advertising for both parks. It's fun to think of what the name changes might be.

Grazing Heifer