TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I don't know but it's totally artwork of Gemini with oversized B&M track laying over both tracks and an oversized PTC train that's huge compared to the catwalks (because it's Gemini). I'm not here to critique abstract drawings in advertisements but this is pretty funny. Why Gemini?

14718702_1185961891496914_3729175193234438364_n.jpg?oh=052e20b3e5774388bdf8961e1f99effe&oe=58A63547

Random question but does anyone know what rides have given over a million rides so far this year? I'm assuming Gatekeeper, Millennium, Raptor, Rougarou, Magnum, and probably Valravn?

Sky Ride has. They had their "1 Million Rides, Keep it Rolling" sign up when we were there on Labor Day weekend. You're probably right on all of those and you can confidently add CP&LE Railroad to the list too. The only ones we actually noticed the signs on were Sky Ride, Millennium Force and Gatekeeper.

I expect Raptor and Rougarou to be way down since they lost Early Entry (and Rougarou lost Haunt Fridays) but 1 million is easy for them. Iron Dragon may not make it for the first time between losing Early Entry, adding VR and being down to 2 trains for the last few years.

Does anyone know where Dragster and Maverick are? They usually cut it close.

That's awesome the Sky Ride hit one million that early. Ours at GADV just hit one million about a week ago but I guess that's expected since CP destroys GADV Ride operations. So far only Nitro, Toro, and the Sky Ride have done one million.

:lol: I don't know but it's totally artwork of Gemini with oversized B&M track laying over both tracks and an oversized PTC train that's huge compared to the catwalks (because it's Gemini). I'm not here to critique abstract drawings in advertisements but this is pretty funny. Why Gemini?

14718702_1185961891496914_3729175193234438364_n.jpg?oh=052e20b3e5774388bdf8961e1f99effe&oe=58A63547

Don't know why CP Rundown would be worried about this. Hell, there's an entire montage of this chunked-up Gemini playing for about a minute and a half during the Platinum Pass promos in the queue TVs.

:lol: I don't know but it's totally artwork of Gemini with oversized B&M track laying over both tracks and an oversized PTC train that's huge compared to the catwalks (because it's Gemini). I'm not here to critique abstract drawings in advertisements but this is pretty funny. Why Gemini?

I've seen the same animation on FunTV at Valleyfair and Worlds of Fun, probably doesn't mean anything.

That's awesome the Sky Ride hit one million that early. Ours at GADV just hit one million about a week ago but I guess that's expected since CP destroys GADV Ride operations. So far only Nitro, Toro, and the Sky Ride have done one million.

I'm honestly surprised that there's such a big difference between the Cedar Point Sky Ride numbers and the Great Adventure Skyway. Yes they have better operations by a mile, but Great Adventure has been good about running 2 cables and Cedar Point only has one (though they still have better capacity but it makes it a little closer), they also have very few wind closures compared to Cedar Point and Great Adventure opens in late March as opposed to early May.

Also doesn't Skull Mountain usually hit 1 million? VR must be hurting them quite a bit.

I'm honestly surprised that there's such a big difference between the Cedar Point Sky Ride numbers and the Great Adventure Skyway. Yes they have better operations by a mile, but Great Adventure has been good about running 2 cables and Cedar Point only has one (though they still have better capacity but it makes it a little closer), they also have very few wind closures compared to Cedar Point and Great Adventure opens in late March as opposed to early May.

Also doesn't Skull Mountain usually hit 1 million? VR must be hurting them quite a bit.

How many cabins does that Skyride have? Cedar Point's location of their skyride and attendance may have something to do with it. Afterall, it is right at the entrance. We hit a million riders on August 6th, and that was by running 26 cabins until 11:15am every morning and then going up to 37 for the rest of the day (unless the weather had something to say about it). Also, how late does that park stay open during the summer?

I would say they have about 20ish per side but I don't know the exact number. It's a much longer ride though so dispatch intervals are nothing like Cedar Point's.

They always max out whatever side is running but "maxed out" for them looks like this.

Not this...

e8e53ed552f06ff38656de8a175c56fc.jpg

So there's quite a difference.

How many cabins does that Skyride have? Cedar Point's location of their skyride and attendance may have something to do with it. Afterall, it is right at the entrance. We hit a million riders on August 6th, and that was by running 26 cabins until 11:15am every morning and then going up to 37 for the rest of the day (unless the weather had something to say about it). Also, how late does that park stay open during the summer?

Wow you guys beat Nitro to one million riders then, and Nitro was the first coaster in the Six Flags chain to hit one million this year. Nitro got one million August 13th and El Toro got it August 29th. As for the Sky Ride capacity, each side typically runs 20 units max per side. On days they only run one side, the park still does not go over 20 units. And I don't believe there is always a line for the Sky Ride at our park either.

And Skull Mountain typically beats El Toro to one million. This is the first year Toro has beat Skull Mountain since 2011. Skull has an unusually high throughput but VR and down time killed it this year. But even before the mess happened with Skull, Toro was still beating them

And I don't believe there is always a line for the Sky Ride at our park either.

I actually think Great Adventure's Skyway lines are usually longer than Cedar Point's. The fort side is always shorter than the other side but there's almost always a line of some kind, at least when I'm there which admittedly is not a ton. Cedar Point because of it's location will usually have a walk on at the station near Corkscrew for the first part of the day and a walk on at the station near Raptor at the end of the day. I actually think the location of Great Adventure's benefits it because it'll always have demand all day. At Cedar Point very few people are up near Raptor near the end of the night looking to go to the back portion of the park.

By the way this is great, I approve of any and all dorking out about Sky Rides that takes place on TPR.

Well the balance between both platforms shifts throughout the day. East (near the entrance) is very busy early in the day, while West is a walk on. Then as the day goes on both sides are equally as busy. Towards the end of the night East is a walk on and West is very busy because people are using it to get closer to the parking lot. Also, when luminosity is over West gets a very busy line.

So, I'm assuming based off what you have told me Six Flags run between 38-40 cabins. However, if the ride is longer like you told me than less cabins would be loaded in a period of time. This would ofcourse make the line move slower.

Edited by blakelemay23

Well the balance between both platforms shifts throughout the day. East (near the entrance) is very busy early in the day, while West is a walk on. Than as the day goes on both sides are equally as busy. Towards the end of the night East is a walk on and West is very busy because people are using it to get closer to the parking lot. Also, when luminosity is over West gets a very busy line.

So, I'm assuming based off what you have told me Six Flags run between 38-40 cabins. However, if the ride is longer like you told me than less cabins would be loaded in a period of time. This would ofcourse make the line move slower.

Absolutely. Cedar Point has much higher capacity when the ride operates, I'm just surprised that there's such a drastic difference in total ridership. I would have expected the much earlier start to the season at Great Adventure and the fact that they rarely have wind closures and Cedar Point has to deal with them on a constant basis to do more to offset things.

I wouldn't have guessed that CP's skyride would hit 1 million that quickly/easily. While it's a people eater, I just could easily see it having enough down-time to slow down it's numbers from getting there that quick. I guess it gets closed less frequently than I imagine.

Welp, it's official. Scrap RMC, CP is getting the relocated Vertigorama from Parque de la Ciudad!

vertigorama.jpg.c9fd3191ad8929f47bb00f3ea710820f.jpg

Here is the jewel we will see at CP next year!

download.jpg.f74ac4a84153aa8a78f11123b91c2f1c.jpg

I'm so sorry. I couldn't control myself.

You never know what you're going to learn when you come to TPR!

Truth. I was really surprised by this:

Sky Ride cable is hand woven together and wielded on the ends to create the most seamless continuously loop.

It's interesting little facts like this that make me spend so much time on TPR.

I wouldn't have guessed that CP's skyride would hit 1 million that quickly/easily. While it's a people eater, I just could easily see it having enough down-time to slow down it's numbers from getting there that quick. I guess it gets closed less frequently than I imagine.

Well, Skyride has some of the highest ridership in the park.

Running 26 cabins Skyride can serve up to 1,872 pph, running 37 cabins it can serve 3,040 pph (This is ofcourse assuming that all cabins have 4/4 spots filled, which is unlikely).

Since we are already on this topic, and it's a rare opportunity... here are some facts for Skyride nation (lol)

- Skyride was built in 1961, and is the second oldest ride in the park. (Only behind the Midway Carousel, older than Bluestreak)

- Stands 92 ft and the hand woven cable is an impressive 2,860 ft long

- Skyride once had two person cabins

- Since it's debut, Skyride has given over 91 million rides.

- A one way trip on Skyride lasts 2:40, and takes you about a quarter mile across the midway (1,430ft)

Cedar-Point-PC-1965.thumb.jpg.14feafc2d77cf89df008de4615dec8b2.jpg

a2b431d07af5d1e20b8525995f6d54ff.thumb.jpg.142cd62a138e799417e99d9604454474.jpg

68.thumb.jpg.b11538efe1f5b013b13df2966ad1f5f5.jpg

images.jpg.ae2de29632d3f38e21232c199c4ba96f.jpg

Screenshot_20161005-213516.thumb.png.22c4e571c8e6bd78bca1f7b7c5722427.png

Photo credits to Jantzen73 on Instagram for this photo

Edited by blakelemay23

Speaking of Skyrides at Cedar Point, A year ago, while doing some leisure time researching on the park for fun, I was surprised to find out that CP had another skyride from the Midway to Frontier Town. Does anyone have any picture or route map to show where it went on a park map somewhere? My research on the Frontier Town skyride has been almost been non-existent since there isn't much information on it. I would like to know more about it if anybody got some history on that skyride. Also, why did they choose to tear it down?

Thanks!

92 feet, wow. I did not realize it's taller than Corkscrew. Skyride would have been the tallest ride in the park until Gemini was built.

Not quite, but it was the tallest ride in the park until 1965. Space Spiral was 330 ft tall. That was the tallest ride in the park from 1965 until Dragster opened in 2003.

Speaking of Skyrides at Cedar Point, A year ago, while doing some leisure time researching on the park for fun, I was surprised to find out that CP had another skyride from the Midway to Frontier Town. Does anyone have any picture or route map to show where it went on a park map somewhere? My research on the Frontier Town skyride has been almost been non-existent since there isn't much information on it. I would like to know more about it if anybody got some history on that skyride. Also, why did they choose to tear it down?

Thanks!

I don't have a route map but I do have this picture of one of the stations.

The other station is still standing. It's now the restroom building by Skyhawk. You might not notice it at first glance, but once someone points out that it used to be a Skyway station it becomes incredibly obvious. The entrance and exit ramps are both in place.

station.thumb.jpg.109f794a3b535573d41b1c9793eab9fb.jpg

From Google Maps.