TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Who cares if Blue Streak is the only wood coaster in the park? Disney Universal and Busch / Sea World (as of now) have a grand total of zero wood coasters total in their entire park chains and nobody cares. Plus Blue Streak is a perfectly solid little coaster.

Who cares if Blue Streak is the only wood coaster in the park? Disney Universal and Busch / Sea World (as of now) have a grand total of zero wood coasters total in their entire park chains and nobody cares. Plus Blue Streak is a perfectly solid little coaster.

It's not that Blue Streak is the only wood coaster... It's that I (and many people) love wooden coasters and I think Cedar Point would highly benefit from having an awesome one (It could be as extreme and awesome Mean Streak was originally supposed to be)! Especially at a park that has an excellent coaster of every type - It just makes sense.

Upon quick research and a triangle calculator, I could not find the lift hill angle for Mean Streak. I guessed it was somewhere around 30 degrees. With the original height of 161 feet, that gives a 322 foot length from the peak to the bottom of the lift. With a 45 degree lift, that could bring the potential height to 322 feet. Good luck with that, but yeah, potential?

Upon quick research and a triangle calculator, I could not find the lift hill angle for Mean Streak. I guessed it was somewhere around 30 degrees. With the original height of 161 feet, that gives a 322 foot length from the peak to the bottom of the lift. With a 45 degree lift, that could bring the potential height to 322 feet. Good luck with that, but yeah, potential?

Triangle Calculator???

#Pythagorus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had the courage to do it right now, I certainly would do the calculation myself. Maybe later.

30 degrees is a safe estimate for the lift. Most coasters use that benchmark angle. Depending on what RMC goes with as far as the layout, the higher they go, the larger pullout that would be needed too. So they won't go extremely high.

Son of Beast was 218'. Personally, I can't see them going that high, but maybe they will try to beat the 200' mark.

I wonder how many people will completely ignore the RMC that Cedar Point plopped in the park and say 'Blue Streak is the only wooden coaster in the park now!

But to be honest I know people who call Gemini a "wood coaster". I wouldn't think too deeply into it.

Assuming that the current lift angle is 30 degrees, that gives a length of 322 feet to get to the height of 161'.

If the lift angle is steepened to 45 degrees, and the length of the lift is kept the same, that will result in a height of 227-228 feet. So a hyper hybrid/wood coaster is not out of the realm.

There are many factors in the design process and eventual layout of the coaster to consider, so don't take that number as the actual result height. It's just an estimate based off the current angle and the new angle.

30 degree lift angle at 161 feet is a horizontal displacement of 279 feet, so at 45 that's a 279 foot lift. But assuming the lift starts at the same spot, you still need the space within the structure for the drop and first turn, so that number means next to nothing because of the increased radius of the pullout and subsequent rise.

It could just be that they are steeping up the lift for having more height (no necessarily de maximum talking about the current location of the drop) in less space, and therefore having more space for the pullout. Also think that the drop will be a lot steeper so they are going to win also more "horizontal" space to do a larger pullout required because of the increased speed.

So we are most likely looking at just over 200ft after everything is settled and done?

That's what I said forever ago, when we first started talking about an RMC Mean Streak. And everyone said 'That's not physically possible with the existing structure of the ride...." Blah. Blah. Blah.

For your sanity, don't ever say "200ft" and "Mean Streak" in the same sentence on here without the word NOT in it.

Using simply the Pythagorean theorem isn't gonna be accurate to determine a possible lift height. A user over at PointBuzz had the most thorough assessment of ~200ft by using the proper method to calculate a potential height based on the variables we know... Here's the post outlining the calculations for any other engineering nerds like myself that are interested.