TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I do expect it to have lots of records, and I expect most of those records to be nonsense. "Longest hybrid coaster at Cedar Point," etc. But I think 4 inversions would be one of the serious ones they'd pursue. Most inversions on a wooden coaster would be easy to do and very marketable.

But it won't be a wooden coaster if they do an I-Box conversion.

I feel like such noob, but I really don't know the difference between the topper track and the i-box track. I don't know why some people consider a RMC a wooden roller coaster or steel based on the type of tract used. An RMC is an RMC to me. lol. However, I'd like to know the difference though.

I feel like such noob, but I really don't know the difference between the topper track and the i-box track. I don't know why some people consider a RMC a wooden roller coaster or steel based on the type of tract used. An RMC is an RMC to me. lol. However, I'd like to know the difference though.

http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/ibox-track.php

An explanation of Topper Track can be found under the "Services" tab.

I do expect it to have lots of records, and I expect most of those records to be nonsense. "Longest hybrid coaster at Cedar Point," etc. But I think 4 inversions would be one of the serious ones they'd pursue. Most inversions on a wooden coaster would be easy to do and very marketable.

But it won't be a wooden coaster if they do an I-Box conversion.

I was waiting for that response, and while you are technically correct, 99% of people are going to call it a wooden coaster.

It would be nice to see Mean Streak retain its classification as wooden. I've speculated a full topper track conversion for some time...and it does appear the pieces pictured are the gauge of transfer track...so I'll hold out hope. Whether I-box of topper track, the thing that will irk me the most is if there's bright red slats of steel slapped on top.

the thing that will irk me the most is if there's bright red slats of steel slapped on top.

I agree if they go for topper track and keep it a wooden roller coaster. I hate how Goliath at Six Flags Great America has that bright red track. It doesn't look like a wooden coaster. But if they do an I-Box conversion I don't care about the track color.

I don't care one bit if it's wood or steel, I just care that it's awesome (and I think it will be). Seriously what's the obsession with this?

Good question, I never got that either. Who cares if the track is wood or steel, the part of the track the train actually makes contact with is the same either way, so what difference does it make?

RMC will deliver an awesome coaster regardless, I just don't want to see another wooden structure with bright red steel. RMC have so blurred the line between wood and steel that classification hardly matters - but still, there is a perceptible difference between Outlaw Run and NTAG now that both are a few years old. I-box is probably the better call from a maintenance standpoint, though.

I don't care one bit if it's wood or steel, I just care that it's awesome (and I think it will be). Seriously what's the obsession with this?

A nuetral or naturalistic color adds to authenticity of it being a wooden coaster, albiet high tech. Between Goliath's color and lift structure I have to remind myself it tends more towards wooden than hybrid. While this is the case for a lot of enthusiasts concerning topper track creations in general, Goliath is particuarly subject.

RMC will deliver an awesome coaster regardless, I just don't want to see another wooden structure with bright red steel. RMC have so blurred the line between wood and steel that classification hardly matters - but still, there is a perceptible difference between Outlaw Run and NTAG now that both are a few years old. I-box is probably the better call from a maintenance standpoint, though.

I think this is well put. The issue is simply a nuance that RMC has already blurred the lines enough. Orange wooden track and a steel-arched lift structure do not help their case towards topper track rides being instinctively thought of as wooden.

I hope I explained the "obsession" as nominal. In the end, both of you see the bigger picture: these characteristics have no effect on the kicka$$ ride expirience an RMC will always deliver.

I'll never understand people complaining about the wood/steel argument either. On a tradational wooden coaster the track the train runs on is still steel as seen below:

The track that the train runs on in an iBOX conversion is steel as well. . . Sooo... What's the big deal??

I feel like those who are complaining about the difference with this coaster being "wooden" or "steel" are those who are okay with Six Flags marketing Larson Loops as roller coasters. . . Because you know, they just like to be "different" and they like to argue.

I don't think anyone's complaining about it.

It's just fun speculation on what it could be. I think it would be awesome to see the first complete revamp of a wood coaster into an even better wood coaster. It doesn't change the ride experience if it's topper track or I-box, so I'm excited either way! I think there's speculation on which type it is because this is Cedar Point, which is known for breaking records, and it seems like CP has a great opportunity to make the world's [insert statistic]est wooden coaster, in true CP fashion. Could they make the tallest and fastest hybrid coaster? Yeah, absolutely! Could they instead make the tallest and fastest wooden coaster? Yes! Either way, it's going to be a great ride, it's just fun to speculate on whether this could be the biggest and best wooden coaster in the world.

It would be nice to see Mean Streak retain its classification as wooden. I've speculated a full topper track conversion for some time...and it does appear the pieces pictured are the gauge of transfer track...so I'll hold out hope. Whether I-box of topper track, the thing that will irk me the most is if there's bright red slats of steel slapped on top.

From what I've seen all those pieces of track have the I-box design so they are probably for the lift. RMC's transfer track changes shape to expose all of the wheels for easier inspection. So I think a full I-box conversion is much more likely. Not that it really matters since they both ride the same in my experience.

SFMM_TCUpdate23_-17.jpg.286d8d3da96ba8e8d793ee4c646707fa.jpg

You can kinda see it in this photo of TC along the side of the trains how the track is only on the bottom.

Maverick, next to a RMC....is incomprehensible, until this opens

While it appears Outlaw Run and Goliath both use I-Box on their transfer tables, and all I got pictures of were straight pieces..I suppose it could be possible to be topper, but then look at the track connectors after the transfer area. Those are typically used on I-Box. ^Also that would be the storage track which is different than any of the normal track. Honestly my bet is set on Iron Streak

Maverick, next to a RMC....is incomprehensible, until this opens

While it appears Outlaw Run and Goliath both use I-Box on their transfer tables, and all I got pictures of were straight pieces..I suppose it could be possible to be topper, but then look at the track connectors after the transfer area. Those are typically used on I-Box.

It has been confirmed that both Topper & I Box track use the same steel ledgers. And as Sphantom91 pointed out with the shaping of the transfer pieces; this is most likely an I Box conversion. But we will have to wait and see to confirm this 100%.

^^^I didn't know that, thanks for sharing Sphantom91!

It should also be pointed out that both track types can be colored however the park wants it to be. If CP wanted to they could put on bright red or orange topper track (Like Goliath). just as they could put on "neutral colored" IBox. The track type really makes no difference other than for marketing purposes.

^^^I didn't know that, thanks for sharing Sphantom91!

It should also be pointed out that both track types can be colored however the park wants it to be. If CP wanted to they could put on bright red or orange topper track (Like Goliath). just as they could put on "neutral colored" IBox. The track type really makes no difference other than for marketing purposes.

I am really not sure why everyone seems to think this will be topper track. I highly doubt those track peices we are seeing are for the transfer.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with you that the color doesn't make a difference to the ride experience...